Ducks in a cage

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Isn’t it an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act?

But are they wild, lots of Mallards and farm bred

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm sure it was horrible.  A good reason to only eat Organic poultry or poultry where you know exactly where and how it was reared.

Organic doesn't guarantee welfare 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But are they wild, lots of Mallards and farm bred

Farming has welfare standards so if they are being farmed then they are probbly not meeting those standards. Farmed birds must have a minimum amount to space to move around in. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/poultry-on-farm-welfare/ducks-mallard-and-pekin-welfare-recommendations

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, metanoia said:

Never mind the legislation - something should be done -

I walked past today and those birds are quite stressed -  as are the wild ones all around them x

Thanks for replying, it's good to know others feel as I do.

I didn't see the boater about, did you? 

I'll ring 101 first thing in the morning. Is the boater in the same-ish spot (https://goo.gl/maps/se1CXBDzu5PNhgXV6)?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Update.

Contacted Staffs Police, asking to speak to the Wildlife Crime Officer. 

Spoke to a nice guy, explained, and gave him directions, he was very sympathetic and said it wouldn't be very nice for people to see wildlife in distress on the towpath. He said he's going to get someone down there tomorrow.

Not much more we can do, As an exercise, I might ring CRT to see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for you advice everyone :)

Well done, Jen. :hug:

There might not be much more you can do now but you did a lot by passing the ball into the hands that can do something constructive. It would be interesting to hear what CRT say because they do seem to consider the the welfare of the wildlife on the canals quite highly. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm sure it was horrible.  A good reason to only eat Organic poultry or poultry where you know exactly where and how it was reared.

I'd have thought captured wild ducks are as 'Organic' as one can get.

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Update.

Contacted Staffs Police, asking to speak to the Wildlife Crime Officer. 

Spoke to a nice guy, explained, and gave him directions, he was very sympathetic and said it wouldn't be very nice for people to see wildlife in distress on the towpath. He said he's going to get someone down there tomorrow.

Not much more we can do, As an exercise, I might ring CRT to see what their thoughts are.

Thanks for you advice everyone :)

Well, what happened? We need a Duckdate.

On 05/09/2019 at 10:28, Jennifer McM said:

?I dunno......

Anyone passing Acton Trussell on the Staffs & Worcs.... could you keep an eye out please (not literally of course ?)?

Passed yesterday, the duck/ducks are still in the cage, I only noticed one but there was something over the cage. Also I think a couple of chickens. No sign of the boater that we noticed. They did have food in a dish in the cage and a canny  moorhen had it's head through the bars eating the food.