Nice Clear CRT Car Park Charges Sign.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Borrowed from elsewhere......

So you can stay for up to 24 hours for £3.

But if you park overnight you are agreeing to pay a parking charge notice of £60.

So how do I get to stay 24 hours, without parking overnight then?

CRT Car Parking Sign.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Borrowed from elsewhere......

So you can stay for up to 24 hours for £3.

But if you park overnight you are agreeing to pay a parking charge notice of £60.

So how do I get to stay 24 hours, without parking overnight then?

I reckon it means you have to comply with all four conditions to qualify for the £60 charge you aspire to.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I reckon it means you have to comply with all four conditions to qualify for the £60 charge you aspire to.

You could certainly read it as meaning that, if they tried to charge you it would be worth fighting in court if you fancied a laugh, you would certainly win.

Presumably the “24 hours” is just meant to mean a period over 3 hours so really should should be something like “over 3 hours”.  Like with the other signs the person the specified then clearly did not have a grasp of the English language, and no one bothered to check them.

Just noticed something else, clause 1, is very specific on where the ticket must be displayed, rather than just saying “do not display your ticket” or some such.  So put the ticket on the drivers door window, which is what many do, and that will be £60 please.  Is this a District Enforment thing geared to trick people into break8ng the conditions to extract charges.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You could arrive at 3am and leave the following 2:59am. Not overnight, but up to 24 hours. That'll be £3 please.

Jen

AND...

Parking for say one hour fits both categories. £4.50 please!!

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Just noticed something else, clause 1, is very specific on where the ticket must be displayed, rather than just saying “do not display your ticket” or some such.  So put the ticket on the drivers door window, which is what many do, and that will be £60 please.  Is this a District Enforment thing geared to trick people into break8ng the conditions to extract charges.

No, it's to say where they'll check for your ticket so they don't have to waste time searching all the various places in your vehicle where someone could claim they displayed it. Not an unreasonable precaution for either side really.

34 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You could arrive at 3am and leave the following 2:59am. Not overnight, but up to 24 hours. That'll be £3 please. As long as you arrive and leave at night you are fine up to 24 hours.

Jen

Good point!

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another good point!

27 minutes ago, pearley said:

Is that Marsworth? 

I don't know it wasn't specified in where I nicked it from where it is.

What I suspect the £60 overnight charge is trying to say, albeit in a clumsy way, is "don't think you can park free outside office hours and then move before we check", or words to that effect.

It may be an area where people find it convenient to leave the car overnight if they have no off street parking.   At one stage in my life I left the car on a pay car park overnight knowing nobody would check between my getting home from work and going out again in the morning.

53 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You could arrive at 3am and leave the following 2:59am. Not overnight, but up to 24 hours. That'll be £3 please. As long as you arrive and leave at night you are fine up to 24 hours.

Jen

I don't think it does mean that. I suspect the intention is that the hourly charges apply on the same calendar day in which case the terminology "up to 24 hours" is entirely appropriate. Once the stay covers more than one calendar day it is deemed to be "overnight". That fits with the way the law recognises days by calendar date rather than by number of hours and doesn't recognise part days.

JP

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don't think it does mean that. I suspect the intention is that the hourly charges apply on the same calendar day in which case the terminology "up to 24 hours" is entirely appropriate. Once the stay covers more than one calendar day it is deemed to be "overnight". That fits with the way the law recognises days by calendar date rather than by number of hours and doesn't recognise part days.

JP

I'm sure we all know that but what we are being picky over is the wording used. Nowhere does it use the term calendar days and as per the numerous posts above is it accurate in its wording. We all know what it means but it is a bad sign.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm sure we all know that but what we are being picky over is the wording used. Nowhere does it use the term calendar days and as per the numerous posts above is it accurate in its wording. We all know what it means but it is a bad sign.

Sorry Doc,

You see I've been been out boating and I haven't had any run-ins with volockies, encountered any obstructive wide beams or clueless hirers, or struggled with abused and ill-maintained infrastructure. Hence I have drawn the conclusion I live in a parallel universe to CWDF.

And in any case I don't think Jerra's post did convey the same meaning. Nonetheless it is a poorly worded sign and unless it's well enforced it's probably a bit moot too.

JP

34 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Once the stay covers more than one calendar day it is deemed to be "overnight". That fits with the way the law recognises days by calendar date rather than by number of hours and doesn't recognise part days.

I think that could be disputed successfully.  By adding '24 hours' they are suggesting that the car park is open for the entire 24 hour period.  If you arrive a 00.01 hours and leave at 00.07hours then are you exempt from the fine?  So as long as you buy two tickets for an overnight stay you'd be OK?.  I don't think that is what it means, but we have just shown that the lack of specificity means it is open to several different interpretations.  Given that the normal excuse if you ask CRT a question is ' sorry for the delay we have had to pass that through the legal team', the fact that they can put up this kind of notice without attention to detail is disappointing (please feel free to substitute your own word for 'disappointing)

37 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

I think that could be disputed successfully.  By adding '24 hours' they are suggesting that the car park is open for the entire 24 hour period.  If you arrive a 00.01 hours and leave at 00.07hours then are you exempt from the fine?  So as long as you buy two tickets for an overnight stay you'd be OK?.  I don't think that is what it means, but we have just shown that the lack of specificity means it is open to several different interpretations.  Given that the normal excuse if you ask CRT a question is ' sorry for the delay we have had to pass that through the legal team', the fact that they can put up this kind of notice without attention to detail is disappointing (please feel free to substitute your own word for 'disappointing)

I was just pointing out that the existence of a 24 hour charge and a fine for overnight parking aren't mutually exclusive. The premise of the OP is that they are. Other than that I am spectacularly not bothered about the implications.

JP

Many decades ago my uni hall of residence had a rule "no visitors after 12 pm". After some vigorous campaigning we had this rule overturned, but the college authorities couldn't bring themselves to contemplate the prospect that one of their students might have someone of the opposite sex staying until morning. The rule was changed to say there was no specific time that visitors had to leave "as long as they didn't stay overnight ".

I don't think the rule was ever actually tested.

13 hours ago, dor said:

Many decades ago my uni hall of residence had a rule "no visitors after 12 pm".

I don't know about anyone else, but I have great difficulty working out what "12am" and "12pm" actually signify. 

The meridiem (the "m" in "am" and "pm") is at 12 noon. Noon is neither before nor after meridiem, it is the meridiem, and 12 midnight is both before and after it by exactly 12 hours. We should therefore say "12 noon" or "12 midnight", or use 12:00h and 00:00h as appropriate.