March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Grassman said:

Why don’t CRT just make one of the bridge-holes narrower by means of a removable and lockable steel frame. Then when a fat boat wants to travel on that section they have to pre-book a CRT person to unlock and remove the frame. A charge of about £100 a time should cover it 🙂.

Seems nice, but it would surely get damaged/vandalised often enough that the expense of maintaining it (in addition to the original install) could become prohibitive.

2 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Seems nice, but it would surely get damaged/vandalised often enough that the expense of maintaining it (in addition to the original install) could become prohibitive.

If it gets damaged/vandalised by fat boats (who else would do it?), make them pay for the repair -- or put the fee up... 😉

1 hour ago, IanD said:

If it gets damaged/vandalised by fat boats (who else would do it?), make them pay for the repair -- or put the fee up... 😉

As long as narrowboats are made to pay for the damage they do to lock gates - or put the fee up that's seems fair. My widebeam isn't long enough to be anywhere near any gates, but you can often see damage which gauged by the distance from the lock wall is obviously caused by narrowboats smashing into the gates.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Does this mean that there are plenty of fat boats on the wrong side of the restriction?

My guess, as I walk parts of this section fairly regularly, is that there are about 6 wide boats in this area. But whether any of them are over 12' beam I don't know. Most of them don't move much anyway.

6 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

My guess, as I walk parts of this section fairly regularly, is that there are about 6 wide boats in this area. But whether any of them are over 12' beam I don't know. Most of them don't move much anyway.

I reckon there are 7 or 8 in Dunchurch Pools, and a few in Barby Pools.(although sat view does not show any!!)

Edited by matty40s

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I reckon there are 7 or 8 in Dunchurch Pools, and a few in Barby Pools.(although sat view does not show any!!)

Which marina is this? 

Screenshot_2023-06-27-19-36-40-295_com.android.chrome.jpg.42e0321f5cf8765df65087597d690834.jpg

I've not been that way for about 20 yars it seems things have changed a little! 

Definitely some wide beans in there. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Which marina is this? 

Screenshot_2023-06-27-19-36-40-295_com.android.chrome.jpg.42e0321f5cf8765df65087597d690834.jpg

Dunchurch pools, as designed by the people from the Eden Project, that's why there are so many trees(!?!) and your head gets blown off as you rise above the embankment on a windy day.

Just now, matty40s said:

Dunchurch pools, as designed by the people from the Eden Project, that's why there are so many trees(!?!) and your head gets blown off as you rise above the embankment on a windy day.

It’s always a windy day at Dunchurch :D 

Didn’t think there were that many there now, but i’ve not walked round the full marina for a bit, deffo a couple in the first pool & a fat broads cruiser, and one near the office, and one on the hard being blacked/worked on for the past few weeks if that counts ;) 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Banning all types of boat might be the way forward to avoid arguments.

Certainly the problem to my mind is people with boats of whatever beam who are not really competent. The nearer your boat is to the limits of the waterways you're on then the more careful (and considerate) you need to be. Unfortunately boating ability is a skill that seems to be regarded as too much bother by all too many people  nowadays, whatever the size of boat.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Certainly the problem to my mind is people with boats of whatever beam who are not really competent. The nearer your boat is to the limits of the waterways you're on then the more careful (and considerate) you need to be. Unfortunately boating ability is a skill that seems to be regarded as too much bother by all too many people  nowadays, whatever the size of boat.

My own observation is the bigger and closer to the limits of the waterway a widebeam boat is, the more thick-skinned, unaware and generally pushy the owner is. 

With some notable exceptions posting here. 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Surprised they didn’t put a dome over it.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Which marina is this? 

I wouldn't want to moor there for love nor money.