Who is still building good narrowboat shells?

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Who is still building good hulls?   If you were wanting to buy a new 58' trad shell with straight plating and good lines, where would you go? Which fabricators will go the extra mile to make a good shell?

I've seen some of the very expensive bespoke hulls that I would be disappointed to own, wavey cabin sides, base plates not veed and welded both sides etc. 

From personal experience, Mel Davis. 

From more distant observation and/or hearsay, Jonathan Wilson/Tim Tyler, Norton Canes, Brinklow, Colecraft - these are in various price brackets, I'm not sure whether you want standard or super quality.

17 minutes ago, luggsy said:

mine is a XR&D 58ft narrow boat  am I happy with it yes , would I go back to them yes , would I recommend them yes , so you can see I am very happy with it 

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Lovely paint job and I bet the lines look great if you binned the greenhouse and cratch?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Lovely paint job and I bet the lines look great if you binned the greenhouse and cratch?

I know I would prefer it without them but we live aboard and have a dog so sadly needs must 

Mine is currently being built by Yorkshire Boatbuilder in Thorne. Used to trade as Cuttwater Boats. I think Mick does a good job, but he is a one man band, so don't expect him to be quick. Hoping the sides will be on next week.

P1020062.JPG

P1020063.JPG

P1020065.JPG

Love the bow adjusting tool on the floor.

I have a Gary Gorton at the moment, lovely lines to my eye.  Mike Heywood had a look at it years ago and remarked that it had good lines, suggesting that many of the features were his ideas!

I wonder if someone could copy it?

Anyone know of a Mr Barber Nottingham way?

24 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Mine is currently being built by Yorkshire Boatbuilder in Thorne. Used to trade as Cuttwater Boats. I think Mick does a good job, but he is a one man band, so don't expect him to be quick. Hoping the sides will be on next week.

P1020062.JPG

Is he going to continuously weld the rubbing bands? If not then they are rust traps that you can't get to and I would describe it as a budget job.

Top of the range has to Brinklow Boat Services - the Wain brothers and Steve Priest. Otherwise as said Colecraft are good and have been building for many years - our boat is one and it has good lines and handles well. A couple of names not so far mentioned are CTS and Stoke-on-Trent boats and RW Davis at Saul. I like the lines of the X-R&D hulls that were built for Beacon Boats - there are a couple of these for sale WillowToo at Rugby Boat Sales is one.

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is he going to continuously weld the rubbing bands? If not then they are rust traps that you can't get to and I would describe it as a budget job.

Yep, I helped him to get the rubbing bars in position, even had a go with the plasma cutter to remove the extra at the stern. His work for the rest of last week was to seam weld everything up before starting to cut and fit the superstructure.

30 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

All looks tac welded at present to ensure the shape to me....im no hexpert in any way shape or form tho.

Yep, should all be sorted now, I'll be back on Tuesday to see the progress.

7 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Yep, I helped him to get the rubbing bars in position, even had a go with the plasma cutter to remove the extra at the stern. His work for the rest of last week was to seam weld everything up before starting to cut and fit the superstructure.

Yep, should all be sorted now, I'll be back on Tuesday to see the progress.

Fingers crossed your happy with the progress 

20 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Top of the range has to Brinklow Boat Services - the Wain brothers and Steve Priest. Otherwise as said Colecraft are good and have been building for many years - our boat is one and it has good lines and handles well. A couple of names not so far mentioned are CTS and Stoke-on-Trent boats and RW Davis at Saul. I like the lines of the X-R&D hulls that were built for Beacon Boats - there are a couple of these for sale WillowToo at Rugby Boat Sales is one.

I agree, but as far as I know, only Simon Wain and Steve Priest  build shells, which is what the OP was requesting. Rex  Wain does all the woodwork and fitting out, he fiited out our old boat when he was working for Balliol Fowden.

54 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I agree, but as far as I know, only Simon Wain and Steve Priest  build shells, which is what the OP was requesting. Rex  Wain does all the woodwork and fitting out, he fiited out our old boat when he was working for Balliol Fowden.

David, I couldn't remember which of the Wain brothers did the steel work and which did the woodwork. The Brinklow Facebook page has some good pictures of a new build under construction. If money was not a problem I would want them to build me a boat. All the best Richard

Small Northwich replica by Brinklow boats, Astraea. I had the privilege to be shown around her when completed, absolutely fabulous. Not cheap by any means, but then quality never is. The original owner fell ill just after delivery and wasn't able to enjoy her. Sold in early 2015 for £175k.

No connection BTW. The rivets weren't fake.

ETA. Following on from Richard's post above Alexander built the now ex Challenger fleet and they have stood the test of time well.

14220332760.jpg

Edited by Ray T

15 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Small Northwich replica by Brinklow boats, Astraea. I had the privilege to be shown around her when completed, absolutely fabulous. Not cheap by any means, but then quality never is. The original owner fell ill just after delivery and wasn't able to enjoy her. Sold in early 2015 for £175k.

No connection BTW. The rivets weren't fake.

14220332760.jpg

Are you sure about the rivets?

Although Brinklow obviously rivet at required on old boat repairs and modifications, I was not aware any of their "remakes" are of all rvitted construction.

Certainly the likes of Oberon, Orpheus etc are welded construction and the rivets not real ones.