Batteries stolen near Atherstone

Jonkx

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some years ago I had a ratchet strap similar to the above but it failed the BSSC - I had to replace it with a 'non-metallic' fastening device.

How about an electrified fence? You have the power source.

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

It's the world we live in nowadays. There are those that have no respect for other peoples possessions. Some berk has realised you can get forty quid for a battery at the scrappies. Or maybe, perhaps another boater down on his/her luck with duff batteries.

How much!!!!!!!

I've got 4 x 130 ah AGMs and 1 X 110 ah sitting outside my back door ( no, I'm not giving my postcode) waiting to go down the boat. I've 'traded' the old ones (6 in total) with a fellow moorer for his muscle when hauling them out. Still, a deals a deal and sorry Nightwatch but are you sure 40 notes?

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

And these days women don’t wear stockings, so no easy temp fix. 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Some do :P:detective:

Generally the ones who suffer from wind.

You can always tell if a 'windy woman' is wearing tights as her ankles swell up.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonkx said:

They were Platinum Leisure Plus domestic batteries and a Platinum Excel starter battery as per attached photo. 

DSC_0946.JPG

Looking at the location of the isolator switches, if you secure the deck boards to prevent further theft do make sure you can still turn the juice off..... quickly....

How about using one, or two car boot/bonnet/tailgate catches to hold the deck boards on? The latch and striker plate could be hidden under the deck boards and the remote release cables fed through to the cabin so you could only pull the releases with access to the interior. Easy to open if you are on board and need to turn off the isolator switches in a hurry, but would need a crow bar to break in to otherwise. Cheap to get from scrap cars. To replace the deck boards just drop them down and they lock automagically.

Jen

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How about using one, or two car boot/bonnet/tailgate catches to hold the deck boards on? The latch and striker plate could be hidden under the deck boards and the remote release cables fed through to the cabin so you could only pull the releases with access to the interior. Easy to open if you are on board and need to turn off the isolator switches in a hurry, but would need a crow bar to break in to otherwise. Cheap to get from scrap cars. To replace the deck boards just drop them down and they lock automagically.

Jen

Ok, thinking about this again and car type latches might not work as the weight of the deck board will just close the latch again as soon as you release the cable pull unless you simultaneously lift the deck board. Not easy!. Car ones are designed to work with relatively light doors, often balanced with gas rams. The general principle of a cable release latch operated from within the cabin is good, but I am not sure that car latches are the way to go. Maybe something like thishttps://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-tubular-mortice-latch-nickel-plated-76mm/5245k with a cable pull lever releasing it.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I am mistaken. Rush of blood to the brainbox. I took four to a scrappie and got something like £68. So I was wrong very wrong. Where I got forty each from I don't know. 

I got 60p/kg. two years ago. I don't know the current  price of scrap lead.

Sadly, I wouldn't bother insurance. You probably have a excess aswell.

Not that this lessens the blow, but we bought our last batteries from a company called ABS. Advanced Battery Supplies. 

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/ Very helpful and efficient. Good price for not the cheapest battery. Look for their multi battery deals. Delivery was good as well.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Sadly, I wouldn't bother insurance. You probably have a excess aswell.

Not that this lessens the blow, but we bought our last batteries from a company called ABS. Advanced Battery Supplies. 

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/ Very helpful and efficient. Good price for not the cheapest battery. Look for their multi battery deals. Delivery was good as well.

2nd for ABS good company to deal with, free delivery used them a couple of times.

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Ok, thinking about this again and car type latches might not work as the weight of the deck board will just close the latch again as soon as you release the cable pull unless you simultaneously lift the deck board. Not easy!. Car ones are designed to work with relatively light doors, often balanced with gas rams. The general principle of a cable release latch operated from within the cabin is good, but I am not sure that car latches are the way to go. Maybe something like thishttps://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-tubular-mortice-latch-nickel-plated-76mm/5245k with a cable pull lever releasing it.

Jen

Install with four springs, one in each corner. Pull the release and zeberdee's your uncle.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Install with four springs, one in each corner. Pull the release and zeberdee's your uncle.

Boiiiiiiinnnnnnnng. Time for bed. 

Edited by rusty69
More 'n's. No not them type

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

No, no, no – Four Spring Duck Technic. I'm sure Dr B can advise.

Don't give the good doctor anymore ideas. That poor duck has already suffered enough.

Fitting 4 springs he'll be hopping mad. He's no spring chicken. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Those particular mortise catches are pretty poorly made. I’ve used them on budget stuff but wouldn’t trust them outside for securing engine boards.