Jump to content

Places with a bad reputation that don't deserve it


MtB
 Share

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes - no locks apart from anything else! There are a limited number of places I’d want to stop for the night, simply because boats moored on the towpath are abnormal, and that attracts attention. But Brownhills, Pelsall, Anglesey Basin, Cannock extension are all fine, and probably a good few other paces too.

Someone just been murdered at Brownhills 

:(

1 hour ago, reg said:

And there I was almost convinced myself I should try it:)

No, you really don't want to murder yourself.

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

bits of the cov at the top used to be bad, got shot at ( and not with an air rifle) near mancetter simply for boating past

What were you shot at with?

Just now, nicknorman said:

Yeabut you get murders in the nicest places. Look at that Midsummer place, they drop like flies. And Kembleford, a lovely Cotswold village.

I agree, the whole of Midsummer have been killed. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coventry Canal, from Hawkesbury Junction (Sutton Stop) to Coventry Basin (2017).  Was warned it was dirty, full of rubbish.  Actually, apart from a couple of spots with floating bottles, it was lovely but quiet.  People took photos as we passed, boats were so rare.  It was lined with sparkling new developments.  The basin was a little underwhelming - it had obviously been reopened with lots of new businesses a few years ago, but was now less than thriving - but a good safe mooring point right in the middle of the City for exploring on foot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Canal Cuttings said:

Coventry Canal, from Hawkesbury Junction (Sutton Stop) to Coventry Basin (2017).  Was warned it was dirty, full of rubbish.  Actually, apart from a couple of spots with floating bottles, it was lovely but quiet.  People took photos as we passed, boats were so rare.  It was lined with sparkling new developments.  The basin was a little underwhelming - it had obviously been reopened with lots of new businesses a few years ago, but was now less than thriving - but a good safe mooring point right in the middle of the City for exploring on foot.

Agreed.  Rugby to Coventry basin is one of my regular long weekend cruises. In the basin itself theres some arched converted warehouses now hosting an amateur music club, with bar, run by the council. I,m not sure if its open everynight but i,ve been in there a couple of times, and for £2 entrance its nice enough. Also the basin is an easy walk to the transport museum and the cathedral. The basin is floodlit at night with security cameras so i feel pretty safe in there and no  yobs prowling. If you look at the new developments you,ll see they were on the old sites of some of coventry,s famous industries, Alfred Herberts tools, Courthaulds synthetics and Coventry Climax engines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rgreg said:

Manchester - all the outdated tales of woe around such as the Ashton flight and the Rochdale; admittedly not the most salubrious area on the system but undeserving of the " no-go" tag put on by some. 

Totally agree, having done the Ashton and Rochdale nine many times and have not had any trouble with the locals, they are usually chatty and quite friendly. The only probles we have had recently have been with the infrastructure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes - no locks apart from anything else! There are a limited number of places I’d want to stop for the night, simply because boats moored on the towpath are abnormal, and that attracts attention. But Brownhills, Pelsall, Anglesey Basin, Cannock extension are all fine, and probably a good few other paces too.

Plus Bentley Bridge, Hollybank Basin, Lane Head and Sneyd. 

 

16 hours ago, reg said:

Brum

The only real part of it I have done is from Fazeley through to Catherine De Barnes. 

Was a grey murky day so that may of affected my view of the run. 

First part one of my favourite little runs up to Kingsbury water park

But then burnt out buildings and lots of graffiti through the locks

No place to Moor until Star city, fast food paradise

Long run to Catherine De Barnes with few places to pull in and tie up. 

Sort of put me of Brum in general so I've tended to avoid it. 

You could have stopped at many places between Kingsbury and Star City, Dog & Doublet, top of Cudworth, Cudworth village but a bit gloomy, Cuttle Bridge Inn and after Star City there is Camp Hill S/St. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Plus Bentley Bridge, Hollybank Basin, Lane Head and Sneyd. 

You can stop anywhere of course, Bentley is OK  but Lane Head only has space for 1 boat and as it’s 14 day it’s normally full these days, and there aren’t actually any visitor moorings at Sneyd so it depends on whether you are happy to moor on the services. Never tried Hollybank Basin - is it any better than the nearby towpath?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

You can stop anywhere of course, Bentley is OK  but Lane Head only has space for 1 boat and as it’s 14 day it’s normally full these days, and there aren’t actually any visitor moorings at Sneyd so it depends on whether you are happy to moor on the services. Never tried Hollybank Basin - is it any better than the nearby towpath?

Think you would actually struggle to get to the towpath opposite whereas Hollybank has a proper bank, and was dredged not so long ago. If you don't mind sticking out a bit you can moor at Sneyd just in the arm by the services. Ralph is usually OK with it or there is the CRT workboat only mooring opposite. I've never seen another boat moored at Lane Head but we only usually cruise past in the winter months. Incidentally the garage just up the road sells red diesel if you are desperate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, rgreg said:

Manchester - all the outdated tales of woe around such as the Ashton flight and the Rochdale; admittedly not the most salubrious area on the system but undeserving of the " no-go" tag put on by some. 

Definitely agree, The Rochdale out of Manchester can be a brilliant days cruising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got shot at up the Erewash Canal, but then that also happened at Nuneaton on the Coventry. We used to "rush" through Leicester without stopping, (except to clear the prop) not feeling comfortable until we reached Kilby Bridge. In honesty many places are painted blacker then they are. As a member of the Coventry Canal Society, we were always told that it was full of dead dogs and cars, but the truth was a deal different to that. OK it was shallow and you really didn't want to moor overnight between Hawkesbury and the Bishop Street Basin (now no longer in Bishop Street as the street name changed). We spent an uncomfortable evening, but the night was OK at Windmill End. So don't ignore the naysayers, be a bit careful, but explore our waterways, they are great.

 

My workmates used to look aghast when for three years on the trot we went to Birmingham for our annual holiday in our boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice Liverpool hasn't been mentioned yet. Is the run into the city from Maghull still the 'proceed with caution' journey that it was 20-30 years ago?

Wigan still gets a bad press; I don't know how 'safe' it is the leave the boat or moor for the night near the bottom, but the locks themselves are in a rather tidy and pleasant situation pretty much from top to bottom (apart from locks 21-22 maybe).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Philip said:

I notice Liverpool hasn't been mentioned yet. Is the run into the city from Maghull still the 'proceed with caution' journey that it was 20-30 years ago?

Wigan still gets a bad press; I don't know how 'safe' it is the leave the boat or moor for the night near the bottom, but the locks themselves are in a rather tidy and pleasant situation pretty much from top to bottom (apart from locks 21-22 maybe).

I've never had (or known anybody who had) any problems in either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.