Known canal bottlenecks where, when, why

reg

Featured Posts

In order to assist on predicting canal journey times I thought it may be useful to identify any known canal bottlenecks. These can basically be described as canal features where on approaching them it is difficult to know  in advance how long it might take to transit them. Off the top of my head I can think of the following 

Hatton flight

Foxton staircase 

Watford staircase

Grindley brook flight

Hureleston flight. 

Napton flight

I would also be interested in such things as locks near specific  hire bases, are there days when delays may be experienced etc. 

Info

The question has arisen in other threads about mapping and route planning and so may be of benefit to all in providing more accurate timings, even if it doesn't get used there I think it could still be a useful listing. 

Appreciate any contributions 

Eta

Thinking about it I'm probably looking for places where you almost envisage a sign saying "expect delays", not that I'm advocating that happens. It might be useful to think in terms of what the theoretical sign might say. 

Edited by reg

There will be many pinch points in the silly season. Just as a for instance of one of many is any time after around 2.30 pm on a Friday afternoon in the summer season south of Lower Heyford when often ten boats will leave all going south to Oxford having left the hire base. This sort of bottleneck happens near to many hire fleet bases hence boating is better done not on weekends and certainly not during school holidays if your time is limited.

21 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

When ever I've approached Harecastle tunnel from either direction the quote from the tunnel keeper was "About an hour mate"

Talking of Harecastle tunnel makes me think that it might also be useful to also collate predictable bottlenecks like Harecastle tunnel, montgomery canal entrance etc or anywhere else where pre booking might be required. 

Just to add to the general list 

I have often had to wait at the beginning of the narrow part just South of Fenny Compton marina. Which I suppose could be put into a category of pinch point. 

Edited by reg

6 minutes ago, reg said:

Talking of Harecastle tunnel makes me think that it might also be useful to also collate predictable bottlenecks like Harecastle tunnel, montgomery canal entrance etc or anywhere else where pre booking might be required. 

Just to add to the general list 

I have often had to wait at the beginning of the narrow part just South of Fenny Compton marina. 

Ahh Fenny tunnel. You can usualy squeeze past each other on most bits of it.

6 minutes ago, reg said:

I do but the I don't cherish my paint work, get nasty looks from those that do though. 

Sod em. We paint boats so we can knock it off again :D

Edited by mrsmelly

Just now, reg said:

Is that the one where the rock face encroaches?

That's the one. It.s called Plum Pudding because of the stones in the sandstone.  I must say that I have never been held up for long. I think there were 3 oncoming boats when I was there last summer/

Grindley Brook is luck of the draw.  Although it is a notorious hold up, I've been there in the middle of the season and gone straight through.  Other times I've waited two hours.  At least with the CRT lock keeper there you don't get fights over who is next up or down, and out of hours it is usually quieter anyway.

Hurleston also is very hit or miss so not easy to predict busy times.  Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings  can get a bit busy going up with hire boats arriving.

10 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Another point on the Staffs and Worcs, cant remember the name of it now though, goes really thin with a few passing points.

I think that would be Pendeford Rockin' between Coven and Autherley Junction.

1 hour ago, reg said:

In order to assist on predicting canal journey times I thought it may be useful to identify any known canal bottlenecks. These can basically be described as canal features where on approaching them it is difficult to know  in advance how long it might take to transit them. Off the top of my head I can think of the following 

Hatton flight

Foxton staircase 

Watford staircase

Grindley brook flight

Hureleston flight. 

Napton flight

I would also be interested in such things as locks near specific  hire bases, are there days when delays may be experienced etc. 

Info

The question has arisen in other threads about mapping and route planning and so may be of benefit to all in providing more accurate timings, even if it doesn't get used there I think it could still be a useful listing. 

Appreciate any contributions 

Eta

Thinking about it I'm probably looking for places where you almost envisage a sign saying "expect delays", not that I'm advocating that happens. It might be useful to think in terms of what the theoretical sign might say. 

Have never known a queue at Hatton but agree that with the others on your list can be problematic at certain times.

The only others that spring to mind are Glascote at Braunston, both of which I have been in 8/9 lockfull queues, Fradley can be a nightmare at times.

Saying that I have also sailed through all these flights many times hardly seeing another boat 

Tim

If I recall correctly there were instances in the 80s of young scrotes from a nearby travellers' camp being anti social along the Pendeford Rockin' stretch.

They would hide in the foliage on the higher bank until a boat passed by with treasures on the roof. They'd then jump on, run along the roof snatching what they wanted.

They'd then jump back off into the shrubbery.  There were reports of radios, guitars, booze, etc being relieved from their owners.

Interestingly no reports of rose painted tat like watering cans, plastic planters, irons or buckets, so it seems they had taste.

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Have never known a queue at Hatton but agree that with the others on your list can be problematic at certain times

That basically identifies the difficulty I had in wording the question whilst it is not a bottleneck as such the speed of progress through is down to a number of factors, particularly for single handed passage. 

Are locks manned

Locking by self 

Locking paired up

Locks with or against 

So in my mind the speed of progress through this flight is greatly influenced by these variables so it is a lower case bottleneck in my progression and whilst the same could be said for many other locks flight's I included it on my list because it does stand out significantly. One of the interesting things I'm hoping to find out is what groups would share that view and what groups would not, both points of view would be valuable information. 

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Last time, Hatton took us sixteen hours

Richard

Ouch! 

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Not really. We moored up overnight on the offside towpath halfway down.

Travel time was the usual about 2.5 hours. It's rarely much more or less than that.

Richard

Near the petrol station? That's my spot

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Last time, Hatton took us sixteen hours

Richard

Yep we have also done it that sort of time by mooring overnight partway up/down.  In reality Hatton is always quiet and if you are doing it is one go it very predictable in terms of the time taken.

2 minutes ago, reg said:

Near the petrol station? That's my spot

That is a bit short a pound for stopping in overnight in my opinion, there is a lot longer one a bit further down.