Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Me too. I keep my whole boat toasty warm in the first place just like a house, so no need in the first place for electric blankets or hot water bottles.

I find that arriving at the boat in the early afternoon in February it doesn't really get toasty at the far end that same night. it is possible that every inch of steel and wood will be sitting at about 4deg C. including all bedding and furniture with the air temperature very similar. However my usage of the boat and the small amount of power the blanket uses is not a problem to me and well worth it for the comfort when I crawl into bed.

38 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Where would I fit in. I live in a house some of the time and on a boat some of the time, I cruse every month of the year if its not frozen and have spent Christmas and New Year afloat for the past 10 years at least. 

You are allowed two votes.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

You may not have missed much. Bearing your earlier comments regarding your requirements in mind, both boats are going to be too short for you, and Runcible, with its small portholes, would probably be too dark as well.

You may well be right, the small boat would have been a two/three  year "trial",  but it would have been very easy to manoevre on a river, and I expect my early years might involve a lot of summer cruising. if the interior of a boat is light, that might compensate, but in winter, one has few daylight hours anyway, but the swan hatches have perspex window inserts too.

Edited by ladygardener

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A Trojan 'look-alike' / copy / alternative / fake

Sorry to be picky here but a battery is either a Trojan or it's not and if it's not then it's some other make isn't it?  Or do these fakes actually look like Trojans in every respect?   I thought I had Trojans now I'm getting trojanoia.

12 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Sorry to be picky here but a battery is either a Trojan or it's not and if it's not then it's some other make isn't it?  Or do these fakes actually look like Trojans in every respect?   I thought I had Trojans now I'm getting trojanoia.

I think the expression is an analogy with "Listeroid", meaning an engine which looks like a Lister but is made to a lower standard.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

I think the expression is an analogy with "Listeroid", meaning an engine which looks like a Lister but is made to a lower standard.

This is exactly it. My batteries are by Yuasa, and the spec is superficially identical to Trojan T105s, but the price is significantly lower. 

Therefore they cannot genuinely be the same. They are not forgeries, they are clearly not Trojans but you'd need to read the label to know.

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is exactly it. My batteries are by Yuasa, and the spec is superficially identical to Trojan T105s, but the price is significantly lower. 

Therefore they cannot genuinely be the same. They are not forgeries, they are clearly not Trojans but you'd need to read the label to know.

Often referred to as 'analogues', goods manufactured as cheaper legitimate copies but not forgeries.

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have 4 copies on the plastic bathtub they seem to be working but now are excess to requirements as boat is nearly stripped out for refit and electric motor. I will use them for trials but more than likely use full tractions unless something better makes an appearance at a good price with easy charging from solar/ new whispergen

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My experience suggests this is old thinking and not actually the case, Mr Sea Dog. For long battery life it iturns out to be necessary to recharge them immediately they have been discharged at all, regardless of the depth of discharge

I'd have no issue agreeing with that recharging imperative Mike, however, the post above mine by WotEver had already made the daily charging point. The bank capacity still needs to be enough to avoid going below 60% (or whatever seems to be the sweet spot for your batteries) between charges - which is easily doable on a daily basis if Ladygardener's (Jeremy Clarkson would have fun with that moniker!) bank isn't big enough to sustain her overblanket, etc.

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Edited by Sea Dog
Remove duplicate post

On 16/05/2017 at 01:16, Sea Dog said:

- which is easily doable on a daily basis if Ladygardener's (Jeremy Clarkson would have fun with that moniker!)

Yes I too looked it up on urbandictionary.com

I decided against commenting on what I discovered it means, lol!

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3156web/3156abnb.php?BoatID=3156

where would I site the stove?  I am  thinking aft, so I can refuel at 3.00 am

Should I look at a Refleks stove for economy and "cosyness"  How much would it cost to get that fitted

I'd probably beef up the batteries with a minimal  invertor [for my electric blanket?].

Would the gas CH be very expensive, I assume it would discharge moist exhaust to the exterior, not the interior

Do I ckeck the battery, then go for a 30 min cruise / charge if it is on 60%, what is 60%? Do I need a  a multi meter , red wire to red terminal post? The other one on the  negative post.

Edited by ladygardener

36 minutes ago, ladygardener said:

where would I site the stove?  I am  thinking aft, so I can refuel at 3.00 am

Should I look at a Refleks stove for economy and "cosyness"  How much would it cost to get that fitted

I'd probably beef up the batteries with a minimal  invertor [for my electric blanket?].

Would the CH be very expensive, I assume it would discharge moist exhaust to the exterior, not the interior

Do I ckeck the battery, then go for a 30 min cruise / charge if it is on 60%, what is 60%? Do I need a  a multi meter , red wire to red terminal post? The other one on the a negative post.

60% means 60% of fully charged or 40% discharged.

If batteries fall below about 50% regularly (note the "about") you will use up their cyclic life faster so they tend to last a shorter time. Again note "tend", nothing is black & white for batteries. At that point or whatever you decide you recharge the batteries by whatever means you have. It may be cruising, solar or setting the engine to the speed OUT OF GEAR ON A CANAL that equates to maximum alternator output. For that you need an ammeter. Then gradually reduce the speed as the charge decreases to maintain the highets charge on the ammeter.

Multimeters are useful and with modern one sit does not matter which way round you connect them except do it the wrong way and it will display a negative reading. AS you need an ammeter to indicate when to stop charging and a voltmeter (or Smartguage) to tell you when to start charging it would be easier to get a battery monitor that has both but it is VITAL you totally ignore any state of charge readings it may show unless you know exactly how to set it up, how it works, and regularly re-synchronise it.

With CH it depends what you mean. To install or to run. If its the latter then it again depends upon the fuel it uses. It probably goes gas as most expensive, then diesel, then solid fuel. I have yet to see any kind of central heating boiler that does not discharge to the exterior.

35 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

60% means 60% of fully charged or 40% discharged.

With CH it depends what you mean. To install or to run. If its the latter then it again depends upon the fuel it uses. It probably goes gas as most expensive, then diesel, then solid fuel. I have yet to see any kind of central heating boiler that does not discharge to the exterior.

So............... the batteries would show 8volts [?], or what?

IF,  I know the revs for max alternator output, would that be a fixed throttle setting [revs] or does the alternator output / ability of battery to accept charge vary as the battery charges up?

I am a  bit nervous of running the engine with no load, as I thought its better to load even if it means running for longer. Or is that negated by a bit of engine running under load.

Edited by ladygardener

16 minutes ago, ladygardener said:

So............... the batteries would show 8volts [?], or what?

Is their some sort of management gadget which will tell me when I need to run the  engine.  I am a  bit nervous of running the engine with no load, as I thought its better to load even if it means running for longer.

60% of fully charged is around 12.2V for a 12V bank. 

The gadget is a Voltmeter /Smartgauge/Battery monitor (lots of threads on these devices)  

Edited by rusty69

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not sure that someone looking to do this would immediately think of reading a thread called "Not got a boat yet"

And I thought you were my #1 fan :)

the electric overbanket is  bit of a light hearted theme on this thread, but it is kinda relevant, in that I need to have some electrical flexibility.. 

I will carry a hurricane lamp, a solar lamp and a big brute of a torch, plus a few tea lights as a back up, but in winter, I want to be comfortable, not camping.

What about SANDRA?

Edited by ladygardener

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is she sharing the boat witt you ?

Will you be needing a 'double' electric blanket ?

Typical [male fantasy]

try this

Edited by ladygardener

4 minutes ago, mross said:

A hurricane lamp will likely give off some fumes so please ensure your Carbon Monoxide alarm is tested.  The lamps with a mantle will be brighter and less smokey than those with a wick.

yes, no worries, its just for emergency use if all else fails, and probably can hang outside.

7 minutes ago, ladygardener said:

At least at a quick glance (which is all I have time for, deadline to meet this morning), Sandra is quite a looker and a tribute to Mr. Goadby (I assume that's him steering in the pictures) who fitted her out - even if he has put the work surface on the opposite side of the galley to the cooker. Why do people do that?

Isn't she a bit over your budget? ABNB tend, in my experience, to adhere fairly firmly to their stated original prices. As that experience was as a seller, it suited me fine. But don't expect a dramatic reduction unless your survey reveals significant faults.