Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Lysander said:

42 minutes ago, mross said:

But on the left so chimney is less likely to be hit by bridges.

I don't understand...

In bridges and tunnels, if you keep right when passing another boat, a chimney on the right is more likely to be bent or knocked off.

16 minutes ago, Lysander said:

But why would you steer your boat along the right-hand side?

So that you don't hit the other boat coming the other way. 

Unless it's a narrow bridge in which case it makes no difference, so you might as well position it for where it does make a difference. 

...meanwhile, in the comfort of her home, Lady Gardner is making and manoeuvring little models of boats, chimneys and bridges, and trying to figure out what we're all going on about.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

...meanwhile, in the comfort of her home, Lady Gardner is making and manoeuvring little models of boats, chimneys and bridges, and trying to figure out what we're all going on about.

No longer 'Lady Gardener'

Now she has been 'outed' she is just 'LadyG'

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No longer 'Lady Gardener'

Now she has been 'outed' she is just 'LadyG'

I just somehow like the word Gardner, with that spelling.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

...meanwhile, in the comfort of her home, Lady G is making and manoeuvring little models of boats, chimneys and bridges, and trying to figure out what we're all going on about.

I grasped the metal [!!!] straight away, even before the visual.

Of course, maybe you could attach chimney with a chain, so if it gets knocked over it does not fall in to the murky depths.

Now, in the interest of symmetry I 'd like to ask, should the flue lie parallel to the sides of the cabin, then exit so that it is perpendicular ......... the Morso flues seem to be rather ,  angular, even ugly!

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Of course, maybe you could attach chimney with a chain, so if it gets knocked over it does not fall in to the murky depths.

What a novel suggestion... ;)

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Now, in the interest of symmetry I 'd like to ask, should the flue lie parallel to the sides of the cabin, then exit so that it is perpendicular ......... the Morso flues seem to be rather ,  angular, even ugly!

When it exits, it should be vertical - it looks better.  Parallel to the cabin side looks fine and saves space.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

......out of the mouth of babes and sucklings; ( Matthew 21:16)

.................. thou hast perfected praise [KJV]

Edited by LadyG

When we first started boating, we thought that the stove chimneys cocked at an angle looked a bit daft - rather like the chimneys of Wild West shacks in cartoons. But one does get used to them after a while. Vertical ones do tend to look more elegant, as if they have not just been plonked on as an afterthought.

My engine chimney lost an argument with a bridge, getting badly bent; I had to circumcise it to get it to fit again.  It didn't fall off the boat though.  I'd like a spring-loaded, hinged one but they don't make 'em any more.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It's not just about bridges and tunnels.  Because the Rules say boats pass port to port and sods law dictates you always meet a boat where there are overhanging branches, if your chimney is on the starboard side there is every chance it will get knocked off as you move over to the side.  This is more of an issue these days as CRT cut back (sorry) on tree maintenance.  The neglect may look pretty but on some canals it's becoming a real hazard for boats.

Or, have your chimney on the starboard side and risk other boaters pointing at you and sniggering.  For good measure hang your mooring rope over the tiller pin, drop your fenders whilst cruising and fly a Red Ensign that ought to give LadyG something to think about.. 

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Or, have your chimney on the starboard side and risk other boaters pointing at you and sniggering

Or remove your chimney when moving (obviously not a good idea when the stove is lit) 

On 17/05/2017 at 10:33, rusty69 said:

Or remove your chimney when moving (obviously not a good idea when the stove is lit) 

Ooo look a new excuse!

"Dear CRT, I cant move my boat because the stove is alight"...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ooo look a new excuse!

I guess that goes along with

"Dear CRT, I cant move my boat because I cannot get car insurance if I don't have a 'fixed place' to keep it.".........

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ooo look a new excuse!

May not work during  the peak of our British summer,but juding by the May weather so far perhaps it would! 

So to summarise, while there are plenty of situations for which having a chimney on the left or right makes no difference, there are also enough, all involving passing other boats, where it makes life a lot easier to have the chimney on the left (port) side. The more you're going to be moving a boat, the more important this becomes!

If you're moving and need to lower a hot chimney, just have something handy to hold it with; an old pair of oven mitts would be the ideal tool for the job.

I'm very much in agreement with mross that hinged chimneys are a good thing. Two years ago I did a trip on an old tug where the steerer just reached ahead with the boathook to raise or lower the engine chimney, worked a treat. I don't think it was spring loaded, so maybe it was kept up by being angled forwards? Anyway, can one of the metal bashers out there explain why no-one's making hinged chimneys any more? Is it a gap in the market worth filling?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

So to summarise, while there are plenty of situations for which having a chimney on the left or right makes no difference, there are also enough, all involving passing other boats, where it makes life a lot easier to have the chimney on the left (port) side. The more you're going to be moving a boat, the more important this becomes!

Admirably summarised, thanks, greeno for that.

On 17/05/2017 at 11:32, Peter X said:

that hinged chimneys are a good thing. Two years ago I did a trip on an old tug where the steerer just reached ahead with the boathook to raise or lower the engine chimney, worked a treat. I don't think it was spring loaded, so maybe it was kept up by being angled forwards? Anyway, can one of the metal bashers out there explain why no-one's making hinged chimneys any more? Is it a gap in the market worth filling?

Tony Redshaw still makes them AFAIK.