Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

I've found a boat to view, ticks a lot of boxes, but definately ready to go, needless to say, its at the far end of the country. 

All totally refurbished/painted/surveyed  It is laid out as a weekend cruiser, but has a SF stove.  Its been professionally fitted out, owner has decided to sell as he has no time to use it.

So, in a month, I have found three suitable boats, and two have been sold/under offer. There are plenty of boats on the market, but not many in tip top condition.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've found a boat to view, ticks a lot of boxes, but definately ready to go, needless to say, its at the far end of the country. 

All totally refurbished/painted/surveyed  It is laid out as a weekend cruiser, but has a SF stove.  Its been professionally fitted out, owner has decided to sell as he has no time to use it.

So, in a month, I have found three suitable boats, and two have been sold/under offer. There are plenty of boats on the market, but not many in tip top condition.

Was it in Birmingham?

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Was it in Birmingham?

No Brian, B'rum is in the centre of the country.

Its near Leighton Buzzard, seven hours by train, and then I have to add on an overnight, so all in all maybe £200 just to view one boat.

I have to say the photos are pro quality, as is the spec, and everything else. I just need to do some negotiating before I go, which the owner is bound to see as "awkward git"

There are two at Tattenhall, good boats, but one has an engine room!!!!!!

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are two at Tattenhall, good boats, but one has an engine room!!!!!!

Is that 'Jenny Wren'? If it's near you it's worth a look: handy size, stove + central heating, reasonable condition, looks a bit plain inside but I suspect that's because the seller has taken some furniture out of the saloon.

Are you allergic to engine rooms? If so, why? They are a boon - as storeroom, clothes drying room, toolshed...the engine, by the way, looks as if it's a London Taxi one, so there are hundreds of them about and getting them serviced or getting parts should be easy.

The seller is Stephen Harral. Not everyone likes this man, but I bought a boat from him 7 or 8 years ago and it was fine, as was the transaction.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are you allergic to engine rooms? If so, why? They are a boon - as storeroom, clothes drying room, toolshed...the engine, by the way, looks as if it's a London Taxi one, so there are hundreds of them about and getting them serviced or getting parts should be easy.

Oh well, that is reassuring, I only know a Yamnar engine and "The Beast" looked very unfamiliar, I imagined having to start it with a bit of string, a starting handle, and a lot of knobs and levers :) 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Oh well, that is reassuring, I only know a Yamnar engine and "The Beast" looked very unfamiliar, I imagined having to start it with a bit of string, a starting handle, and a lot of knobs and levers :) 

Nah...you might need to know where to kick it though...

(I was JOKING, come out from behind that bulkhead).

15 hours ago, Jak said:

Hi. Our boat is moored at Leighton Buzzard. What is the name of the NB your interested it?  I may know it....

Lady May, she may have been re-named as she has has a full refurbishment, though the hull did not need overplating, which is encouraging for a boat which maybe has had a bit of a rough time previously.

UPDATE .. no trip to Leighton Buzzard, its not suited to cc

Edited by LadyG
update on lady may

On 12/05/2017 at 19:50, Murflynn said:

Has anyone come across any statistics relating to the number of failed hopefuls (who probably don't post on or read this forum), compared with the number of keen successful live-aboards (who are well represented here)?

Will let you know how I do in 9 months time ;)...after one of our beautiful winters.

omg, am at a loss with this one, I have asked for better details and photos, can anybody make out what we are looking at here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/43-039-Narrowboat-in-London-/232340203672?fromMakeTrack=true

Has someone bought a jigsaw from BandQ and got creative on the bulkheads, I for one don't want to sit in the lounge looking at the unwashed dishes!

The engine is sitting on the cabin floor?

There seems to be a lot of significance to the green valve..................

Is there a loo, a proper waterproof shower room, or does the whb live in a cupboard? 

I usually ignore London boats as I assume [yes I assume], they are overpriced, badly maintained , and will be snapped up very quickly

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

omg, am at a loss with this one, I have asked for better details and photos, can anybody make out what we are looking at here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/43-039-Narrowboat-in-London-/232340203672?fromMakeTrack=true

Can't see the year of manufacture? Must be there somewhere...

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Can't see the year of manufacture? Must be there somewhere...

Me neither or the metalwork specification. The "stove" looks like a diesel fuelled cooker rather than a separate gas cooker and solid fuel stove. I am not sure that I would want that in view of some of the reliability and  reports I have heard.

Also no mention of solar wattage so no way of knowing if it really will keep the batteries charged.

The more that is missing from an advert the less I trust it - especially about the survey and blacking.

It looks like "London" pricing to me.

Edited by Tony Brooks

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Me neither or the metalwork specification. The "stove" looks like a diesel fuelled cooker rather than a separate gas cooker and solid fuel stove. I am not sure that I would want that in view of some of the reliability and  reports I have heard.

Also no mention of solar wattage so no way of knowing if it really will keep the batteries charged.

The more that is missing from an advert the less I trust it - especially about the survey and blacking.

It looks like "London" pricing to me.

I would agree with this, however, the stove looks like a proper marine diesel stove, and could be reliable, I am not sure about using them as a source of heating, ie not sure about co build up. 

The woodworking looks good, apart from the jigsaw attack, indicating that at one time it was well made. 

I can't tell if it is trad, but you have to assume [yes ass+you &me] that the vendor has little idea of what he is selling, as he omits so much detail. I have asked him to clarify.

There either is a survey and Bill of Sale, some evidence of biils[paid!], etc etc, or there is not. I usually ask for these details straight away, and that usually ends communications.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I would agree with this, however, the stove looks like a proper marine diesel stove, and could be reliable, I am not sure about using them as a source of heating, ie not sure about co build up. 

The woodworking looks good, apart from the jigsaw attack, indicating that at one time it was well made. 

I can't tell if it is trad, but you have to assume [yes ass+you &me] that the vendor has little idea of what he is selling, as he omits so much detail. I have asked him to clarify.

The "stove" appears to have a flue so it should not discharge much CO into the boat. I have a feeling it has an "always alight" burner in a water heating coil and "heat tubes" to carry the heat to the saucepan areas, a bit like a Rayburn.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think the engine in its own 'ole confirms that it is. 

So, whereas I thought the engine is on the cabin floor, you are saying the photo shows it to be in its own little area, if so , and it may be so, is that not the petrol generator right beside it, and where are the batteries,  sorry to be such a numptie! 

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yep, that's a petrol genny next to it. Presumably he removes it when having a BSS inspection. 

Batteries could be anywhere - again, no mention of them. 

Presumably he removes it when the engine is running, or there would have been a catastrophy already.

He mentions three leisure batteries, which are topped up by solar panel, but that is not how an experienced boater would explain it, surely if he has a survey, he just has to take the technical details off it.  Its very annoying, as it could be quite a nice boat, but very badly presented to the market.

So, those little steps allow access from the stern, and the engine sits on the floor rather than on engine bearers? I just don't get this, what is the wood panel on one side of the engine? Sorry, self-confessed nuptie.

Do you guys think the lounge has oak flooring?

I have just had brekkers, sipping a coffee and surfing, I'll  wash up later :)

Re price, wedon't really have any guide, with no year of manufacture and no name, I am clinging to the hope that it is a really well made boat, based on the woodwork, and the marine stove would indicate some liveaboard features.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So, those little steps allow access from the stern, and the engine sits on the floor rather than on engine bearers? I just don't get this, what is the wood panel on one side of the engine? Sorry, self-confessed nuptie.

Yes to the steps, no to the floor. The engine is mounted on bearers and the floor goes up to it. The wood panel is to protect you from the whizzy bits. 

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes to the steps, no to the floor. The engine is mounted on bearers and the floor goes up to it. The wood panel is to protect you from the whizzy bits. 

Ty, can I try you with a general Q?

I see loads of engines with alternators in matching paint, does this indicate they are original at date of manufacture, or that it is de rigeur  to paint the engine retrospectively?

I really like to know nitty gritty, helps to stop being bamboozled by the salesman. I was quite ridiculously proud when a marine engineer said I could present the beginners course on diesel engine maintenance, rather than attend as a student. I was first in engineering at Agricultural College, but that was only cos I guessed all the questions and just learned the answers by rote. 

Edited by LadyG

Have used up their 12 free photos and not paid to add any more although I would guess they have photos of every little knob, tap, lever, etc. just not paying to add them I guess. I had more photos when selling a Hornby set with layout at £150 - this is £31,000!?

I saw a similar advert for another boat but was immediately put off by missing info, always think ...why is everything not included. Most boats of this length were at or about £27,000 if in good condition.

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I had more photos when selling a Hornby set with layout at £150 - this is £31,000!?

The difference is that you are unlikely to view the trainset before purchase. Only a fool would buy a used boat without viewing. (i bet a load will say they have though) 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Have used up their 12 free photos and not paid to add any more although I would guess they have photos of every little knob, tap, lever, etc. just not paying to add them I guess. I had more photos when selling a Hornby set with layout at £150 - this is £31,000!?

I saw a similar advert for another boat but was immediately put off by missing info, always think ...why is everything not included. Most boats of this length were at or about £27,000 if in good condition.

Its Ebay: it may be speculative marketing, and I think he has mentioned both that he has a survey, and that he knows the date of manufacture, it is possible it is meant to be misleading, or it is possible he knows nothing of boats, though he says big engine is handy sometimes, so it must work!

OR hes just put the ad up in a hurry, not bothering to think about decent photos. In which case it will put most people off viewingwhat could be a decent liveaboard.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The difference is that you are unlikely to view the trainset before purchase. Only a fool would buy a used boat without viewing. (i bet a load will say they have though) 

True, but as a buyer it would cost me £80 to go and view this one given location so not encouraging non-Londoners.....although most Londoners think that London is England & that there is nowhere else except Scotland, Wales & maybe Cornwall. ;)