Not got a boat, yet

LadyG

Featured Posts

@LG - a camping light, with a small LED, will run, non-stop, for a week or more and is therefore much better than a paraffin lamp.  Modern torches (flashlights) are amazingly reliable nowadays.  I'm sure you know this already :) 

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

At least at a quick glance (which is all I have time for, deadline to meet this morning), Sandra is quite a looker and a tribute to Mr. Goadby (I assume that's him steering in the pictures) who fitted her out - even if he has put the work surface on the opposite side of the galley to the cooker. Why do people do that?

Isn't she a bit over your budget? ABNB tend, in my experience, to adhere fairly firmly to their stated original prices. As that experience was as a seller, it suited me fine. But don't expect a dramatic reduction unless your survey reveals significant faults.

yes, i have already had a word with Mr ABNB, but in some ways that suits me as it means it will more likely still be avaliable when I have the cash in hand.

It is at the top of my budget, which has a 5K contingency. and I 'd still need to get a stove installed, even a tiny one would be costly. It would be a no going back option, well maybe they all are, but cheaper boats are probably easier to resell. I would not want to get another boat as an upgrade, which was Plan B with Runcible [a 42 footer]

Edited by ladygardener

21 minutes ago, mross said:

@LG - a camping light, with a small LED, will run, non-stop, for a week or more and is therefore much better than a paraffin lamp.  Modern torches (flashlights) are amazingly reliable nowadays.  I'm sure you know this already :) 

Yep, but my experience of a sailing boat in the typical Scottish summer tells me that even a tiny lamp generarates enough heat to lift the chill off the cabin air, I have a four seaon sleeping bag, a really thick duvet, thermal jammies, mohair sox and nightcap, but even so, its best to keep cabin air just a degree above minimum. No worries that one lamp will generate enough Co2 to kill me, but I will have alarms and things.  

I could have a camping gaz lamp / stove, so that I am never without my hot cocoa. And maybe a generous supply of Lambs Navy Rum to ensure four hours solid sleep.

Edited by ladygardener

7 hours ago, Athy said:

At least at a quick glance (which is all I have time for, deadline to meet this morning), Sandra is quite a looker and a tribute to Mr. Goadby (I assume that's him steering in the pictures) who fitted her out - even if he has put the work surface on the opposite side of the galley to the cooker. Why do people do that?

Isn't she a bit over your budget? ABNB tend, in my experience, to adhere fairly firmly to their stated original prices. As that experience was as a seller, it suited me fine. But don't expect a dramatic reduction unless your survey reveals significant faults.

Interesting how we all see things differently, I think Sandra is an awful looking boat I don't like the cabin at all and clearly the boat has been designed for maximum cabin length which on a cruiser stern means a short front well and that always looks wrong to me.  But as always, whatever floats your narrowboat..  

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:38, system 4-50 said:

I'm a bit puzzled about the lugging gas bottles around. Mr Halsall is happy to drop them straight into my gas locker. I've lately pursuaded my Excel supplier to supply in ~ 8Kg sacks which are much more manageable than the standard 25Kg jobbies. I have got a pumpout so I don't have to carry cassettes even a short distance. The less I have to lift the longer I will be able to use my goat.

Not everybody has the benefit of a passing fuel boat, so no puzzle really

Phil ☺ 

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Interesting how we all see things differently, I think Sandra is an awful looking boat I don't like the cabin at all and clearly the boat has been designed for maximum cabin length which on a cruiser stern means a short front well and that always looks wrong to me.  But as always, whatever floats your narrowboat..  

It might be because I have been trawling interminably through so many boats of the usual interior decoration that I found this one very refreshing. I have been drawn to those which have avoided the  amateur DIY B&Q  upgrades, and it is very hard to find ones wih real boatbuilding skills in the fitout.

I know they are all narrow boats, but some seem sooooooooooooo narrow, that is all I can focus on.

Edited by LadyG

49 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know they are all narrow boats, but some seem sooooooooooooo narrow, that is all I can focus on.

Look for open plan layouts as opposed to a long corridor. 

40 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CO2 isn't the risk, its CO. Completely different.

Of course, I did O grade chemistry .......... somethng about CaCo3, acid+base-->salt+water, and then in botany, it was respiraton, transpiration and perspiraton.  Krebs was cyclng on his world tour. Llfe was simpler then.

Edited by LadyG

13 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I was really referring to the interior, which to me looked bright, inviting and homely. I don't like short well-decks either (I love the balanced design of good "tugs"), but I thought that for someone living on their boat, a shorter well-deck would mean more living space, which is a Good Thing. Similarly I don't like cratch covers or pram hoods much, but I see that they can provide an extra inside space and also extra insulation against the outside weather conditions. It's a bit like "people carriers" on the roads: I ain't seen a pretty one yet, but they can carry a lot of people.

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

I was really referring to the interior, which to me looked bright, inviting and homely. I don't like short well-decks either (I love the balanced design of good "tugs"), but I thought that for someone living on their boat, a shorter well-deck would mean more living space, which is a Good Thing. Similarly I don't like cratch covers or pram hoods much, but I see that they can provide an extra inside space and also extra insulation against the outside weather conditions. It's a bit like "people carriers" on the roads: I ain't seen a pretty one yet, but they can carry a lot of people.

I agree with you, but I have to accept that there has to be compromse, and of course I don't have any actual liveaboard experence, I have convnced myself to live wth the pramhood in this instance, its not a permanent feature, maybe could be removed in the height of summer, I think the for'ard feature is probably good for privacy, which is important for a feeling of security, agree it does not "float my boat", but it is distinctive, lol.

Any hints on where a stove should go?

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Any hints on where a stove should go?

Oooh, file under "Can of worms: opening thereof"!

Many people will tell you to situate the stove as near to the boat's halfway point as possible, so that its heat spreads more evenly throughout the interior. Others will state with equal conviction that their stove is by the front door and that it heats the whole boat just fine.

If you're retro-fitting a stove in an existing boat, the best answer is probably "wherever it will fit without having to hack the existing fit-out about".

13 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

So its only fuel boats that are this flexible? 

Pretty much, you would not find a fuel boat in my part of the world and anyone requiring gas usually means a trip to a garage forecourt, Calor deliver to my marina but leave gas at a central point  

It's a mistake to judge everything by canal standards, there is a whole other world outside.

Phil 

7 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I don't understand...

Bridges are lower on the right hand side.

You will 'drive' thru a bridge on the RH side

Draw an arch - now draw a square that will fit thru the arch - the RH top corner of the square will hit the arch before the LH top corner. The chimney then passes thru the highest part of the bridge, ie the centre of he arch.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Bridges are lower on the right hand side.

You will 'drive' thru a bridge on the RH side

Draw an arch - now draw a square that will fit thru the arch - the RH top corner of the square will hit the arch before the LH top corner. The chimney then passes thru the highest part of the bridge, ie the centre of he arch.

I still don't get it - but have it your own way. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I still don't get it - but have it your own way. :unsure:

It is a bit of a brain-twister at this hour of the morning but, if you think about it, all* working boats had their stove chimneys on the left-hand side. The builders and crews must have known something.

* Now  watch someone posting photo of a RH model!

Yes, but...what about when the towpath is on the other side?

I know that the "left-hand" arrangement usually works, except under Aynho bridge, but I don't quite see why it does.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because of the 'rules of the road'.

I'll leave you to it.

But on some canals the waterway narrows to single-track under bridges, so I still "don't quite see".

I am not sure to what you are leaving us, your explanation was interesting but is not yet, as far as I can discern, complete.