Fill yer tanks and empty yer tanks

matty40s

Featured Posts

It looks like we might actually be seeing some proper winter weather coming from New Years day onwards.

The forecasting models have been hinting at it for a few days now and are firming up on the same sort of outcome.

This week will see a few days of cold frost and fog, a brief milder patch on New Years Eve and then cold moving in with the high pressure drifting west into the Atlantic. There is no timescale on the cold breakdown yet as it is too far out.

So fill your water tanks, empty your pumpouts and get your fuel in.

Nothing better than getting iced in and being smug and warm whilst the country grinds to a halt with 3 flakes of slush.

042.jpg

Hunt for cassette toilet owners, don't leave full ones on the back deck or roof waiting to be emptied. ...

Keeping a toilet cassette (full or empty) on the roof or back deck in full view strikes me as unspeakably naff, so I never do it.

Thanks for the advice though!!

Keeping a toilet cassette (full or empty) on the roof or back deck in full view strikes me as unspeakably naff, so I never do it.

Agreed, though using it in that position would be naffer still.

Incidentally, BBC weather for our area suggests that it will be cold tomorrow and Thursday, freezing overnight, but then the weather will get slightly milder and will stay that way into the New Year (the forecast extends to January 5th).

Edited by Athy

Every long range forecast you look at is different. Is there one that is more reliable and more accurate than the others ?.

The weather is a dynamic system so the further forward they try to forecast the more inherently unreliable the forecast becomes, which is why long range forecasts are almost invariably wrong and if they do get it right it's usually down to luck rather than the methodology. And that's why I tend to ignore long range weather forecasts.

Every long range forecast you look at is different. Is there one that is more reliable and more accurate than the others ?.

Statistically the most accurate method of forecasting tomorrow's weather in look out of the window, and say what you see. Tomorrow is very likely to be much the same as today.

Or so I read on the internet somewhere...

The long range forecasts are notoriously innaccurate, the weather model runs are more ably determined, especially when they all start to show the same patterns over several runs.

The BBC forecast is awful, infirmation provided by the Met office at the moment until next year and very London centric.

One day, I checked the forecast for Portsmouth to the east and Southampton to the west. Forecast for both was predominantly snow, oh dear. So I checked the hour by hour forecast for both. No mention of snow whatever. So Hour by hour there will be no snow, todays predominant weather, snow. makes complete sense. then there was the radio four forecast promising "rain in most places with dryer weather in other areas". The BBC weather is just random guessing that doesn't even have to make sense by the look of it. Another vote for metcheck.

I remember an Alas Smith and Jones weather forecast sketch from many years back, with Griff Rhys-Jones' weatherman saying "Tonight, it will be dark."

Even though it was a spoof, he was spot on....

Given the time of year, I'd stick with Flanders and Swann's one: 'January brings the snow, makes your feet and fingers glow'.

Netweather is a great website and on subforum ( model thread ) you can read posts from very knowledgeable people regarding the weather prediction models. I beleive this is the site matty uses.

Indeed, been on there for years. Some fascinating stuff along with the ramping and moaning....

In answer to the title.

I would love to top up with diesel, buy a gas bottle and pump out the tank, but there's nowhere open until 3rd January.

We are in Burscough (L&L)

My commiserations :)

Only kidding, I often say similar to my wife, who was born in Burscough (I hear banjos; paddle faster, etc.)

Beautiful at Parbold today, just walked the dogs for a few miles. Proper weather at last, we were bailing local houses out this time last year.