Drones

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Yes, it is defined in the byelaw: -

79 (2) In this byelaw :

( b ) “power-driven” means driven by the combustion of petrol vapour or other combustible vapour of other combustible substances.

Thanks. Clearly the bylaw is a bit behind the times!

• 4 weeks later...

Try VR, had a go on my brothers PlayStation last week, star wars game was awesome but after ten minutes I felt sick..

I think in the linked video, it was because the operator moved the camera that wasn't in line with the flight with kind of remote control of the video that feels unnatural. Where other airbourne video I'm guessing is held directly by a human so the movement feels natural?

Did he crash and kill people....

Thought not.

No clearly not. However I think you and a few other people fail to grasp the issue. Sure, it is fairly unlikely that the drone will crash into someone or something and kill them. But the point is that the act is illegal and thus if anything goes wrong, the drone operator will most likely be prosecuted.

Just look at the people walking along the aqueduct towpath and looking up at the drone. Let's say that whilst looking up at the drone, one of them walked into the canal and was either injured or possibly drowned. As soon as the other person cited the drone as being the distraction, the drone operator would be hunted down and if caught, prosecuted under the Air Navigation Order. No doubt they are looking to make examples of folk at the moment.

I would liken it to having a car accident whilst slightly over the drink drive limit. Even if the accident was totally not the fault of that driver, and unavoidable even for a sober driver, they would likely be considered to blame and certainly prosecuted for drink driving.

At the very least, I do hope that the people operating these drones illegally are at least aware that they are breaking the law and are prepared to take that risk. If so - fair enough but if you do the crime you have to be prepared to serve the time! But I think more likely, they have foolishly convinced themselves that they are doing nothing wrong. Eventually the penny will drop.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

No clearly not. However I think you and a few other people fail to grasp the issue. Sure, it is fairly unlikely that the drone will crash into someone or something and kill them. But the point is that the act is illegal and thus if anything goes wrong, the drone operator will most likely be prosecuted.

Just look at the people walking along the aqueduct towpath and looking up at the drone. Let's say that whilst looking up at the drone, one of them walked into the canal and was either injured or possibly drowned. As soon as the other person cited the drone as being the distraction, the drone operator would be hunted down and if caught, prosecuted under the Air Navigation Order. No doubt they are looking to make examples of folk at the moment.

I would liken it to having a car accident whilst slightly over the drink drive limit. Even if the accident was totally not the fault of that driver, and unavoidable even for a sober driver, they would likely be considered to blame and certainly prosecuted for drink driving.

At the very least, I do hope that the people operating these drones illegally are at least aware that they are breaking the law and are prepared to take that risk. If so - fair enough but if you do the crime you have to be prepared to serve the time! But I think more likely, they have foolishly convinced themselves that they are doing nothing wrong. Eventually the penny will drop.

You say it so much better than I do but I was just trying to compose something along those lines.

P.s. We saw you pass through Alrewas on Christmas Eve but you were gone before I remembered why the name Telemachus was familiar.

I suggest I won't, life's too short and all that.

Matty,top video, shared on my twitter.

Reminds me a bit of the bikers who post videos of themselves doing wheelies / driving at 150mph on YouTube, and then are surprised when the police come knocking. Once again it is unlikely that the drone video it will come to the attention of the police but if it does...

But what is certain is that someday soon, someone will be prosecuted as a result of drone footage published on social media.

Edited by nicknorman

While the views from a drone are interesting, I was a bit concerned about the effect on the people on the aqueduct and on the sheep below which seemed to run off at speed when they heard/saw the drone. This is the time of year when ewes are in lamb and to frighten them and cause them to run can result in an abortion. Not good news if you are the farmer.

haggis

Currently BTP are pursuing about half a dozen incidents of drone use on or near railways, and there have now been 2 cases where trains have been hit by drones. BTP now regularly check YouTube, Twitter and the Drone forums for evidence, so well done for sharing it Mr Payne.