Drones

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

In our case the pilot explained that we would fly in a triangle and hoped to return to the take-off location, just by flying at 3 different altitudes in succession. He managed to fly about 20 miles, landing within a mile of his target.

I had a balloon trip for a significant birthday too, and the pilot also used height to affect direction of travel. Until then it had never occurred to me that wind blows in different directions at different heights.

ISTR being surprised at the number of dogs on the ground barking too. The pilot reckoned they could hear the burner pilot jet, or something...

Did he have a license?

Which one?

The ones "removed" over the rally venue were not licensed by the MSA and hadn't been given permission by the landowner, and the one that BTP are looking into appears to have been a rank amateur and didn't have NR's permission.

When we lived in the Cotswolds we had two dogs.

One started barking when the burner was turned on, one never barked at them at all.

I also had a flight for a birthday present.

I got to go up in the small balloon. A basket only big enough for about four passengers, great fun.

My flight was just after the foot and mouth outbreak was over. It was amazing how the pilot aimed for an arable farm he new where the owners wouldn't be upset with visitors.

Dave

Which one?

The ones "removed" over the rally venue were not licensed by the MSA and hadn't been given permission by the landowner, and the one that BTP are looking into appears to have been a rank amateur and didn't have NR's permission.

the Flying Scotsman of course.

I've seen a guy flying one at the top of Fradley Locks.

Can you tell me when that was?

It may have been me. I was photographing Shade House on behalf of the owner, with a view to helping him sell it. It was launched from his land, in this case his private mooring opposite his house, and flown overhead his property with his permission. As far as I'm aware, I was operating within all the guidelines issued by the CAA, including checking for 'No Fly Zones' which do not apply to this area, and waiting until there were no boats nor people within 50m (that I could see).

Edited by Oldbugger

Can you tell me when that was?

It may have been me. I was photographing Shade House on behalf of the owner, with a view to helping him sell it. It was launched from his land, in this case his private mooring opposite his house, and flown overhead his property with his permission. As far as I'm aware, I was operating within all the guidelines issued by the CAA, including checking for 'No Fly Zones' which do not apply to this area, and waiting until there were no boats nor people within 50m (that I could see).

So again in devil's advocate mode. You didn't overfly the canal or towpath then, as I understand it both are 1. land you don't have permission to fly over 2. the canal and towpath might by its very nature be classed as a congested area.

So again in devil's advocate mode. You didn't overfly the canal or towpath then, as I understand it both are 1. land you don't have permission to fly over 2. the canal and towpath might by its very nature be classed as a congested area.

I flew mine over Watford Lock Staircase last week. Didnt go as well as planned as there was too much in the way of electrical cables above ground which affected the visual signal. .There was nobody boating or walking in the area. Footage was ok, but I am still playing with the different flying techniques. I did not go over the motorway.

I flew mine over Watford Lock Staircase last week. Didnt go as well as planned as there was too much in the way of electrical cables above ground which affected the visual signal. .There was nobody boating or walking in the area. Footage was ok, but I am still playing with the different flying techniques. I did not go over the motorway.

I thought the "rules" said you hadn't to fly over areas where you didn't have the owners permission and CRT hadn't/were unlikely to give permission. Have I got this wrong?

I thought the "rules" said you hadn't to fly over areas where you didn't have the owners permission and CRT hadn't/were unlikely to give permission. Have I got this wrong?

There was nobody from CRT there to ask. I was just flying in the countryside at sunset.

A thought, are you allowed to shoot drones down if they are in a place where it would be legal to shoot, for instance, pigeons?

On BBC Wales News last night there was an article about Denbighshire County Councils possibly banning drones over any of their land.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-38225324

But if I read that correctly they are trying to ban them from places that people aren't allowed to legally fly them anyway??

Surely they 'own' public parks so whats to stop the use of existing rules??

But if I read that correctly they are trying to ban them from places that people aren't allowed to legally fly them anyway??

It's Wales MJG. A place that has too many layers of Government and spends it's time nannying the population.

JP

There was nobody from CRT there to ask. I was just flying in the countryside at sunset.

However you did break the law by flying over a congested area and within 50 metres if a structure not under your control without CAA permission. Not that I would vilify you for doing it responsibly but ultimately you put yourself at risk of prosecution. At least be aware of what the law says when you are contemplating breaking it!

There was no congestion, I was alone. I do have permission to be there, I just didn't have my boat in my other pocket.

I do the same with the rules as you do with the speed limits (old thread), and act sensibly.

Did you read the legal definition of "congested area" I posted? The definition includes any area substantially used for recreational purposes and I think you would be struggling to explain to a court how the canals and an attractive flight of locks which is a bit of a "tourist destination", don't fit that description. "Congested" in the layman's sense doesn't enter into it. Edited by nicknorman

Because currently the CAA have to be the lead prosecutor, but if this was passed the CC could do it.

It's Wales MJG. A place that has too many layers of Government and spends it's time nannying the population.

JP

Saes! glare.gif

Did you read the legal definition of "congested area" I posted? The definition includes any area substantially used for recreational purposes and I think you would be struggling to explain to a court how the canals and an attractive flight of locks which is a bit of a "tourist destination", don't fit that description. "Congested" in the layman's sense doesn't enter into it.

The caption of the video says it was taken a sunrise and the temperature was -5 Celsius. I've never walked up and down Hillmorton Locks at sunrise in winter, but I'd take a bet that it's not much of a tourist destination then.

MP.