Boat sunk at Droitwich - man has died

She25

Featured Posts

I respectfully disagree.

This is a safety issue and if there's a hazard people need to know about we shouldn't delay in finding it. People will be using that lock again very soon.

If the speculation is wrong, it will at least educate some of us on the potential risks in locks.

RIP to the poor chap and my condolences to his relatives.

I believe the speculation referred to was in relation to the naming of the boat and elsewhere, namely Facebook, where the owners name was being given out very shortly after the event took place this was before the authorities had had a chance to connect any relevant parties I. E family etc. The information referred to has now been pulled or amended

So, because it is no longer there, you may not of been fully aware of the context of the mods posting.

Information on possible problems when using this lock are I am sure welcomed, possible in a other thread, if it can assist in preventing any reoccurance of this sad incident.

Hope this helps put things into context.

In the meantime I add my condolences RIP

Social media has a lot to answer for.

The police in Munich actually had to tweet to request that people cease posting photos of victims of the recent attack.

Why the need for such immediacy of information?

So sad, but so easily done.

Condolences to family & friends.

Was travelling last year with another NB when a short mooring rope apparently fell off the stern & got trapped in the 'bottom gates' as they closed, as the water rose, the boat didn't (the rope was attached to the 'dolly' so holding it down) it was only quick action by the 'paddle operator' that saved the boat.

That is why I was told (quite forcibly) by a lock keeper many years ago that you should never leave ropes attached to anything when not in use. They should be coiled and safely on board. Before that I was in the habit, like many, of hanging the stern rope on the tiller pin. Three times since then I have been grateful to that lock keeper. I have seen two ropes round others props and one trapped in a lock gate. No real damage caused by any of these but there could have been.

So sad to read of this tragic accident whilst people were just enjoying a great pastime. Thoughts must be with the family.

Edited by AndyV

They're talking on Facebook about the rudder being stuck in the rear gates, pulling the stern down as the lock filled. Not something I'd thought about before.

I think this has been the cause of other sinking too. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to use something like a bit of cord to tie the rudder to one side when ascending a lock to stop it catching and knocking too? Or maybe there is an obvious disadvantage to this??

A terrible tragedy, my condolences to all who knew this boater.:(

I think this has been the cause of other sinking too. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to use something like a bit of cord to tie the rudder to one side when ascending a lock to stop it catching and knocking too? Or maybe there is an obvious disadvantage to this??

A terrible tragedy, my condolences to all who knew this boater.:(

Or just make sure your fenders stick out further than the rudder.

It does stick out further but my worry now is that the fender can be pushed down by the gate so that it no longer sticks out so much...

20160726_121757_zpsj5golcvk.jpg

My rear fenders. Even with the 3rd fender lifted the rudder still doesn't stick out further than the 2nd fender. Barring some sort of freak occurrence it is impossible for the rudder to come into contact with the bottom gates.

I'm amazed at the amount of boats i see with just a button fender at the back the doesn't even cover half the rudder.

The sinking at Rode Heath on the T&M last year was also caused by the rudder getting caught in the bottom gates whilst the boat was ascending.

I will point out again at this point that it is only speculation that this is what caused yesterdays tragic events. I have seen elsewhere a totally different reason attributed to the incident.

Edited by junior

The volockie confirmed that the rudder getting caught in the gates was the reason for the sinking, was an interview with him earlier but cant find it now to link to it.

Images show the boat is sunk tight to the bottom gates.

Going up the GU solo I caught my swan neck in the bottom gates of Hunton bridge lock. I was up opening the top paddles when I spied with moi liddle eye that the bottom gates hadn't closed too properly, I could see a gap, so closed the paddle sharpish and went to have a look, yes my swan neck was trapped and had bent it upwards so that the tiller was pointing to the sky like a Howitzer barrel, emptied some water from the lock to release it. I carried on uncomfortably up the canal with the howitzer tiller still threatening the sky meaning to stop at the next pub, get my propane torch out, heat it up and bend it back. I got to the pub. When I came out after a few Fullers ESB I didn't bother with the propane torch but grasped hold of it and heaved it down and bent it back cold, into the more usual field gun barrel angle and sailed away to the next pub.

So the motto is never take your eyes off the boat when in a lock.

Very sad news.

As a once a year hirer for over 20 years or so I remember an incident on the Shropshire Union at one of the solitary locks near the southern end going up hill where I noticed that the lower gates had swung open slightly before the top paddles were opened, anyway instead of the gates closing as expected with the rush of water the boat moved smartly backwards causing the rear fender, a long metal bar with a rubber buffer, to go between the slightly open gates which then promptly tightened like a vice holding the rear of the boat down. Luckily frantic hooting, shouting and arm waving alerted the shore crew before it got too alarming but It was a lucky escape and I have always been very wary ever since.

Incidentally whilst ascending the Marple flight this June at the first (bottom) lock my wife suddenly found the boat was going up on one side and not the other and then became jammed at an angle. After quickly lowering the water and trying again there were no problems. On mentioning this later to a voockie he said it was due to some previous damage to the walls some time ago. Guess the masonry was dislodged somewhere but on descending the flight couldn't see any obvious damage.

Yes it is amazing how fast things can go wrong! A few years ago we got sucked back into the top chamber of the Grindley brook staircase as the crew behind had started to empty it before our boat was out and the gates were closed, I guess they mistook their lock for a normal one. It was surprising how fast the boat started to go backwards even with full throttle! Fortunately much shouting got the paddles shut before damage occurred.

I am sure this would help, but there is an assumption I think that if your fender gets trapped between the bottom gates (but not the rudder) then something (the chain, or the fender) will snap or break before the stern of the boat is dragged down and starts taking on water.

I would not want to test that assumption.

or round off the upper profile so that it doesn't get stuck.

I think this misses the point? The risk is that the rudder gets clamped between the bottom gates, not underneath something.

Am I the only one here who always puts his tiller fully over in a lock to ensure the rudder can't foul the gates?

The button may protect it much of the time, but the button can potentially push up, bend sideways, get squashed, drop off, be above a beam the rudder may hit, or whatever.

If anyone else is doing (or going to do) this, it's also important to ensure your tiller arm does not extend beyond your boat side so it can't foul the lock wall (but that's desirable anyway imho).

I guess in cases of rudder trap, boat pushed backwards when upper paddles opened, rudder gets forced between gates, rising water clamps gates/rudder, bow only rises and tilts stern under.

As someone said earlier, decent rear fenders would eliminate risk.

Next time you are out, observe the amount of people on boats who are floating without adequate rear fenders. It is very common.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

Am I the only one here who always puts his tiller fully over in a lock to ensure the rudder can't foul the gates?

We never used to do it specifically for that reason but would if the boat was tight in the lock, but to 'shorten' it a bit if needed.

In light of this though we would do in future.