Boat sunk at Droitwich - man has died

She25

Featured Posts

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-england-hereford-worcester...

Man dies after narrowboat sinks while going through canal lock
Posted at 16:31
A man has died after a narrowboat sank while going through a Worcestershire canal lock.

It happened at Lock 5 on the Droitwich Junction Canal, off the Worcester and Birmingham Canal, at about 11:20.

An elderly woman had previously managed to get off the narrow boat and was unharmed.

The lock was drained and firefighters went on board the narrowboat. They brought the man out and advanced life support was carried out by ambulance staff, but sadly it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene
Spokesman
West Midlands Ambulance Service

Oh dear most unfortunate. That's the staircase, isn't it?

Yes I think so - the second as you go down towards Droitwich. A big response team there at lunchtime.

Edited by Lady Cassandra
Edit to remove boat name

Any indication why it sank?

I hate speculating on this sort of thing, but against my better judgement...

I've seen something on FB about it going uphill but the bottom paddles were opened as well causing the bows to get stuck on something.

I reiterate though that that is 3rd or 4th hand info.

Agreed, it would be respectful if folk might hold back from speculation so soon after the event.

My condolences to family and friends.

There is a post on facebook about this incident, https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=155048044920413&id=100012456557323 the poster, who was friends with the victim, has said that anyone wishing more information should contact him.

Edited by Lady Cassandra

So sad, but so easily done.

Condolences to family & friends.

Was travelling last year with another NB when a short mooring rope apparently fell off the stern & got trapped in the 'bottom gates' as they closed, as the water rose, the boat didn't (the rope was attached to the 'dolly' so holding it down) it was only quick action by the 'paddle operator' that saved the boat.

This tragedy puts me in mind of a strange event in that lock a couple of months ago.

We stopped on the upper lock landing since a boat had arrived before us and was already coming up. At that time, the bottom lock was flooded up with the middle gates open and the ascending boat was ready to move forward. Oddly, it was going nowhere with either forward or reverse power on. It seemed to be wedged at the bow, although nothing could be seen to be fouling the boat at all. Eventually, after much rocking and application of full power in both directions, the boat simply freed itself whilst we were head scratching and the transit then continued as if nothing had occurred.

We in turn transited the staircase downwards without issue and, as you can imagine, I was careful to inspect the sides of the lower lock both as we entered and as we drained it down somewhat gingerly. Those who have used these locks will know they are modern additions were built during the restoration when the course of the canal was altered and are of smooth concrete construction. I saw absolutely nothing untoward, so I had to put the incident down to the novice crew having done something unusual before we arrived. We therefore continued our journey, and thought no more of it. Probably no connection at all to this incident, but it's made me wonder. :(

This tragedy puts me in mind of a strange event in that lock a couple of months ago.

We stopped on the upper lock landing since a boat had arrived before us and was already coming up. At that time, the bottom lock was flooded up with the middle gates open and the ascending boat was ready to move forward. Oddly, it was going nowhere with either forward or reverse power on. It seemed to be wedged at the bow, although nothing could be seen to be fouling the boat at all. Eventually, after much rocking and application of full power in both directions, the boat simply freed itself whilst we were head scratching and the transit then continued as if nothing had occurred.

We in turn transited the staircase downwards without issue and, as you can imagine, I was careful to inspect the sides of the lower lock both as we entered and as we drained it down somewhat gingerly. Those who have used these locks will know they are modern additions were built during the restoration when the course of the canal was altered and are of smooth concrete construction. I saw absolutely nothing untoward, so I had to put the incident down to the novice crew having done something unusual before we arrived. We therefore continued our journey, and thought no more of it. Probably no connection at all to this incident, but it's made me wonder. :(

Possibly didn't have the upper chamber full when they opened the middle paddles and therefore had insufficient depth to clear the cill?

Possibly didn't have the upper chamber full when they opened the middle paddles and therefore had insufficient depth to clear the cill?

Could have been, as I wasn't there until after they opened the gates. You're thinking top gate leakage eventually gave them the necessary depth I guess, and that seems feasible. I didnt think they'd moved forward at all and they weren't well forward - I'd have expected the curvature of the bow to make that necessary to foul the cill. I looked hard and couldn't see anything else it could have been though JP, so you're probably right. Let's hope so, but do go careful next time you're in there.

Agreed, it would be respectful if folk might hold back from speculation so soon after the event.

I respectfully disagree.

This is a safety issue and if there's a hazard people need to know about we shouldn't delay in finding it. People will be using that lock again very soon.

If the speculation is wrong, it will at least educate some of us on the potential risks in locks.

RIP to the poor chap and my condolences to his relatives.

I respectfully disagree.

This is a safety issue and if there's a hazard people need to know about we shouldn't delay in finding it. People will be using that lock again very soon.

If the speculation is wrong, it will at least educate some of us on the potential risks in locks.

RIP to the poor chap and my condolences to his relatives.

Not so fast eh?

Until a proper investigation is complete everything else is utterly pointless as regards advice to other boaters. People are well aware of the risks in locks.

Condolences though indeed. Clearly a sad event for all concerned.

What does seem to be widely reported is that he was safely clear of the boat, but decided to go back in to try to rescue possessions when it then moved and sank further.

What a tragic loss of a life.

They're talking on Facebook about the rudder being stuck in the rear gates, pulling the stern down as the lock filled. Not something I'd thought about before.

Actually it has been mentioned on here previously as a risk.