Boat sunk at Droitwich - man has died

She25

Featured Posts

Even with a fender I've always put the tiller hard over when we've been in a lock...

+1 on that!

Health warning for those who don't currently do that but might do so in future: check that the tiller bar is not long enough to foul the lock wall before taking up the practice or you might swap one risk for another.

Lovely words JP. I saw that his funeral will take place this Sunday, info at Droitwich marina.

Thanks for that She25 and sorry I didn't acknowledge it earlier. I went away just after the accident and didn't see this post until this thread was bumped earlier this week.

It turns out Allen remains a neighbour of mine as I live on the opposite side of the road to where he is laid to rest.

JP

Even with a fender I've always put the tiller hard over when we've been in a lock

Which is fine if there's someone on the boat, but not really an option for those single-handing unless they want to use tiller strings. I don't know about others boats but my rudder will naturally centre itself.

Edited by blackrose

Which is fine if there's someone on the boat, but not really an option for those single-handing unless they want to use tiller strings. I don't know about others boats but my rudder will naturally centre itself.

Yes ours self centres too. I would have thought that only full length boats need to put the tiller hard over. For everyone else, just keep the boat well forward of the bottom gates!

Edited by nicknorman

+1 on that!

Health warning for those who don't currently do that but might do so in future: check that the tiller bar is not long enough to foul the lock wall before taking up the practice or you might swap one risk for another.

I use a tiller bar with a hinge in it. Generally very useful but also eliminates another risk.

• 5 months later...

There is an appeal to raise money for a memorial bench for Allen Green. If successful the bench will be located in Vines Park, Droitwich adjacent to the CRT moorings where Allen's mother Jean still lives alone on the boat that was Allen's. It was her own boat and home that sank. I think it would be of great comfort to her to have a memorial to Allen close by.

You can donate at https://www.youcaring.com/allen-green-619048

Jon

ETA - I note the webpage says the memorial will be at the lock where the boat sank but Jean told me it would be in Vines Park and even pointed out exactly where she hoped it would go.

Edited by Captain Pegg