Belated thoughts on the Crick Show - and a moan

Dave_P

Featured Posts

It's a shame UK builders either do fat narrowboats or replica dutch barges. It would be nice to see replicas of Leeds Liverpool short boats and others alike. Seems that the focus is just on interior space.

Yes - a replica péniche, for example, might have a bit more grace than some UK widebeams. But, as the market for widebeam boats consists (I presume) largely of people who want to live in them, it's understandable that builders try to offer as much interior space and comfort as possible.

It's a shame UK builders either do fat narrowboats or replica dutch barges. It would be nice to see replicas of Leeds Liverpool short boats and others alike. Seems that the focus is just on interior space.

Couldn't agree more, actually there are a few oddities here and there, I remember a couple of river Lee gunpowder barges approx. 35 x 7 from a few years ago, also Peter Nichols did a few 'Thames barge' replicas, 'Wee Spark' is a little puffer and no doubt there are many others but they are usually 'one offs' built by ambitious individuals. There is a heritage of British boats that could be drawn on and scaled up or down. Some of the classic river launches could transfer to steel very well and there are lots of extinct 'barges' that could be interesting. If only my shed were bigger, I'd dust down the Clarke welder and have a go.

You should have looked at the Mel Davis NB (fitted out in reclaimed timber by Jim Birch), it's bound to be featured in a magazine soon. It seems widebeams are always the same but then they are built for a totally different market/buyer.

You should have looked at the Mel Davis NB (fitted out in reclaimed timber by Jim Birch), it's bound to be featured in a magazine soon.

That would have interested me, as Mel built Trojan for us. But it is some years since he had a boat on show at Crick - I don't think he was on the advance list of exhibitors. Was it perhaps exhibited under the fitter's name?

Boat interiors copy house interiors. As people have watched the various home decor programmes over the last 15-20 years, everyone has copied the look (pale wood effect laminate flooring,breakfast bar with bar stools, brushed steel effect or grey kitchen appliances, pale wood effect fitted kitchen units and so on) and this filters down into what people expect from any residential interior whether house, flat, boat or whatever.

Personally I hate all that clone stuff. I remember seeing a lovely narrowbeam interior at Crick one year that was all reclaimed wood, cosy, dark and beautifully made. But that is less likely to appeal to a mass market than something that looks like DIY SOS just installed it. Shame

That would have interested me, as Mel built Trojan for us. But it is some years since he had a boat on show at Crick - I don't think he was on the advance list of exhibitors. Was it perhaps exhibited under the fitter's name?

It was on the 'F' pontoons, next to Fernwood, Bluewater etc. Had Mel's board on the top with Mel welcoming you onboard. The owner and Jim Birch were on board for info. I wasn't too keen on the glass panels (double-glazed with a polycarbonate type material apparently) but the fitout was the quintessential country cottage with a lovely 3LW.

Not all!

Parglena is a 0.8 replica of a Bridgewater barge specifically Parbella.

The only thing I have noticed about new boats is the price (that they boast about it seems) - and although bang up to date with super modern appliances - very little in the way of 'usefulness' - like I have on my own boat that I completely fitted out myself - for instance - a just-below gunnel narrow shelf from stem to stern on on both sides. Somewhere convenient to put all the daily trivia that makes life easy. Clutter you might say.

It was on the 'F' pontoons, next to Fernwood, Bluewater etc. Had Mel's board on the top with Mel welcoming you onboard. The owner and Jim Birch were on board for info. I wasn't too keen on the glass panels (double-glazed with a polycarbonate type material apparently) but the fitout was the quintessential country cottage with a lovely 3LW.

Drat. Would have liked to see the boat and would have liked to see Mel again, a thoroughly down-to-earth fellow (or even lower than that - he was a coal miner as a young man) as well as a craftsman in steel.

Honeystreet (b 2005) is a similar layout, the forward 'saloon' is actually the Master suite with the ensuite, which you do have make up every night while amidships is the perm double.

Honeystreet's was launched in July 2002, I know coz we had the 2nd holiday on her (Stockton to Aynho & back).

I believe that Ownerships were offering rear galley semi-trads from 1994/95.

Edited to change "trade" back to wot I rote (trad). Bluddy autokorrect!

Edited by cuthound

Narrow boats still have a long way to go to emulate the "sameness" of caravan interiors.

Two examples from two different builders.

quasar-462-caravan-layout-specification-

Caravan%20-interior.jpg

When Mrs T and my self were looking for a 'van AKA a "land boat" we were surprised how similar interiors were from different makers.

The colours may differ but the floor plans were remarkable similar.

And ours, an Elddis:

I think the term "clone craft" * does an injustice to leisure narrow boats. There is much more individuality than first meets the eye.

Talk about "clones"

Even the two ladies had the same name - Rose Skinner! ( Before any body miss-interpenetrates this, it is an attempt at a JOKE! )

* Clone:

a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style:
"All the fashion models seemed to be clones of one another."

verb (used with object), cloned, cloning.

to produce a copy or imitation of.
Edited by Ray T

A few boatbuilders have tried different style narrow boats, as in the examples below. But both of these failed to sell. So maybe buyers are that conservative.

nbAshdown_00028.jpg

3897561679_d05dbb6e76.jpg

The red and white one was built to order, reputed to have cost over £250,000, the very rich original owner found the canals not to his taste. It did sell on but for a considerable loss last seen at Aston marina near Stone. It is a little quirky always thought it would look better on the Thames.

Ken

The red and white one was built to order, reputed to have cost over £250,000, the very rich original owner found the canals not to his taste. It did sell on but for a considerable loss last seen at Aston marina near Stone. It is a little quirky always thought it would look better on the Thames.

Ken

I like the red and white one (I forget it's name) window design. I think the major cost was due some fairly non standard stuff such as joystick steering. I'm surprised it came over £250,000 as that is alot more than a decent spec narrowboat and it wasn't that "different".

Remembered it - Whitefield - http://www.fernwooddesigns.co.uk/blogwhitefield2.aspx

Edit to add, I don't like the seats at the back but I like the design of the stern, I would have tiller steering. Don't like the interior, should have been more yachty with teak and holly, etc.

I'm still struggling too see where the £250K went tho.

Edited by Robbo

I like the red and white one (I forget it's name) window design. I think the major cost was due some fairly non standard stuff such as joystick steering. I'm surprised it came over £250,000 as that is alot more than a decent spec narrowboat and it wasn't that "different".

It is called Whitefield. It is extremely well specified, the interior is to die for if you like ultra modern and every gadget you could ever want.

Ken

Q

It is called Whitefield. It is extremely well specified, the interior is to die for if you like ultra modern and every gadget you could ever want.

Ken

Even then if you add it all up I still find it hard pressed to reach £250k. I would love too see the 'shopping list'.

Q

Even then if you add it all up I still find it hard pressed to reach £250k. I would love too see the 'shopping list'.

I remember it being shown at Crick. Ken spent the whole time trying to get all 15 remote controls to work at once. Five TVs, including one in the shower, and glass bulkheads throughout.

Honeystreet's was launched in July 2002, I know coz we had the 2nd holiday on her (Stockton to Aynho & back).

I believe that Ownerships were offering rear galley semi-trads from 1994/95.

Edited to change "trade" back to wot I rote (trad). Bluddy autokorrect!

2002?, we had her painted this season and she looks 3 years younger now..... ;-)

The wide beams were very similar this year -- partly because all the good ideas are picked up by everyone. There was a year when just one had an island unit with a dining table coming off it, but now it's in almost all of them.

There was more variation in the narrowboats, with the Mel Davis/Jim Birch boat looking particularly different. The Stem to Stern was ultra modern inside; the Stoke Boats had a completely painted interior, and one of the Bourne boats had a type of wall paper and a vintage French enamel stove.

One thing I did notice was the great range of shell builders: Tyler Wilson, Mel Davis, Colecraft, Cauldon, Soar Valley Steel Boats, David Reeves, Stoke Boats, Aintree, Bourne, plus for wide beams Collingwood, Burscough...