Bridgewater Canal

Richard10002

Featured Posts

How much does 7 days on the Thames, Cam, Wey, Baisingstoke or Nene cost? I don't hear much shouting about that

Our 7 day visitors licence for the Caledonian Canal next year will cost £148.50 and that is assuming there is no increase in prices before next July!

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-Scottish-Canals-Short-Term-Licenses.pdf

By contrast our 7 day visitors licence for the Broads this year will be £34.20

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls/short-visit-toll

Edited by Naughty Cal

For me the point is that we use the Bridgewater to transit to other canals so £40 is expensive just to spend one night on a canal I am not particularly fond of.

We happily paid for the Wey, Basingstoke and Cam on top of Gold licence which we bought specifically for the year, we cruised on the Nene, Great Ouse and Thames as well for that cost. We stayed as long as each licence was valid.

Val

I don't think the perceived problem is that £40 for 7 days is above the 'going rate'; it's that CRT licence holders are now getting a raw deal compared to Bridgewater licence holders. The latter continue to get 7 days at a time free use of various CRT canals - more if doing the Liverpool Link - without facing anything comparable to the inconvenience caused by this 'no return' rule.

Our 7 day visitors licence for the Caledonian Canal next year will cost £148.50 and that is assuming there is no increase in prices before next July!

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-Scottish-Canals-Short-Term-Licenses.pdf

By contrast our 7 day visitors licence for the Broads this year will be £34.20

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls/short-visit-toll

We are intending to go for the 'explorer' licence which is 16 days on any Scottish canal - and it is logged in 'days' not a fixed term like the other licences.

So, for example, we will take 5 days transiting the Caledonian, down the West costs, 3 days on the Crinan, 3 days back on the Crinan back up the West coast, then 5 days back along the Caledonian.

You have 16 days which must be used within 12 months of purchase, so in fact we could do the Caledonian twice taking 4 days each way.

Cost £48 per metre it is £552 for us.

We are intending to go for the 'explorer' licence which is 16 days on any Scottish canal - and it is logged in 'days' not a fixed term like the other licences.

So, for example, we will take 5 days transiting the Caledonian, down the West costs, 3 days on the Crinan, 3 days back on the Crinan back up the West coast, then 5 days back along the Caledonian.

You have 16 days which must be used within 12 months of purchase, so in fact we could do the Caledonian twice taking 4 days each way.

Cost £48 per metre it is £552 for us.

Doesn't work out a cheap job does it?

We are already racking up costs and we have not even got there yet?

£450 each way on the trailer, £20 to slip it at our marina, £130 to lift the boat of the trailer and launch it as they don't have a slipway at Inverness Marina, as near as damn it £150 for a 7 day visitor licence......etc.....etc.

And thats before we start adding diesel costs and visitor mooring costs once we are out onto the West Coast wacko.pngblink.pngwacko.png

Doesn't work out a cheap job does it?

We are already racking up costs and we have not even got there yet?

£450 each way on the trailer, £20 to slip it at our marina, £130 to lift the boat of the trailer and launch it as they don't have a slipway at Inverness Marina, as near as damn it £150 for a 7 day visitor licence......etc.....etc.

And thats before we start adding diesel costs and visitor mooring costs once we are out onto the West Coast wacko.pngblink.pngwacko.png

Is that with Tony Tugboat Anderson?

Sounds like a damn good rate up to the Cally.

Is that with Tony Tugboat Anderson?

Sounds like a damn good rate up to the Cally.

It is indeed.

Wouldn't trust anyone else to tow her.

Being dropped in (hopefully not literally) at Inverness and hauled back out at Oban.

When we took Gamebird to the Caledonian we took her out up a slip at a boatyard just along from the top lock at muirton (I think I have the name right

The locks up from the basin in Inverness

It was a bit fiddly getting boats moved out of the way and getting the landy and trailer backed to the slip but they were very helpful

Haggis

Sorry can't look up name of boatyard etc as we are boating on kelpie in Englandshire :-

When we took Gamebird to the Caledonian we took her out up a slip at a boatyard just along from the top lock at muirton (I think I have the name right

It was a bit fiddly getting boats moved out of the way and getting the landy and trailer backed to the slip but they were very helpful

Haggis

Sorry can't look up name of boatyard etc as we are boating on kelpie in Englandshire :-

Did you go through Amington on the Coventry earlier today, or was that another "Kelpie"?

I don't think the perceived problem is that £40 for 7 days is above the 'going rate'; it's that CRT licence holders are now getting a raw deal compared to Bridgewater licence holders. The latter continue to get 7 days at a time free use of various CRT canals - more if doing the Liverpool Link - without facing anything comparable to the inconvenience caused by this 'no return' rule.

What irritates is that a "reciprocal arrangement" seems to have been changed unilaterally to the detriment of one party (unless CRT were in on the change and didn't think it worth mentioning, but they seem to have been caught on the hop)

Haggis

We want to come in from the sea one end do the full length and then head out to sea the other end so Inverness Marina is the obvious place to get dropped in.

We want to come in from the sea one end do the full length and then head out to sea the other end so Inverness Marina is the obvious place to get dropped in.

Caley Marina have a ramp. Maybe you could head out then turn back to save a hundred quid or so :)

Caley Marina have a ramp. Maybe you could head out then turn back to save a hundred quid or so :)

I don't think its really worth it to save £100 to be honest. Plus Tony has a back load from Inverness so it will be one boat off another back on for him.

here is part of the latest from The Bridgewater Canal Company - it seems to clear up their stance on 7 consecutive days with no return in 28 days:

"For clarification after 7-days from first arriving on the Bridgewater Canal a

permit will be required to remain on the Bridgewater Canal. Any return
within 28 days from the date of leaving whether leaving after 3 days or 5
days or up to 7 days you will require an additional permit."

This is the full text:

Official update from Peel regarding the CRT reciprocal agreement:
BRIDGEWATER CANAL NOTICE
NOTICE JUNE 2016 – Announcement for amendments to the BCCL/C&RT
reciprocal agreement.
Please note we are now operating a no return within 28 day restriction
under the reciprocal agreement with CRT. We have been working on these
changes for a year and BCCL have now decided to bring them into play this
summer to reinforce our enforcement work and to protect the Canal from
abuse. To help prevent further exploitation we have introduced a no return
policy to the reciprocal agreement which now reads as;
‘C&RT licensed crafts are permitted upto 7 consecutive days free navigation
on the Bridgewater Canal. No return within any 28 day period’.
For clarification after 7-days from first arriving on the Bridgewater Canal a
permit will be required to remain on the Bridgewater Canal. Any return
within 28 days from the date of leaving whether leaving after 3 days or 5
days or up to 7 days you will require an additional permit.
We are in discussions with C&RT and have agreed with C&RT that for 2016
any boaters who are registered to attend the Liverpool Festival or another
bona fide canal festival will be permitted return navigation on the
Bridgewater Canal at no cost subject to their registration details being
provided to BCCL by C&RT or IWA.
It is possible that a return ticket for a reduced fee may be introduced. Any
return ticket information will be placed on the Bridgewater Canal website
when it is available.
On behalf of
The Bridgewater Canal Company Limited

on behalf of Bridgewater Canal
Email: BridgewaterCanal@peel.co.uk

There has been anothet change today which appears to have slippee through the net and that is passage through Pomona onto the Upper Reaches (River Irwell & Salford Quays) has gone from 72 days notice for booking passage to TWO WEEKS!!

How are they going to collect it?

Man with a mobile card scanner?

Or is it going to be a requirement that you carry cash, or even one of those obsolete cheque book things, if you wish to traverse the Bridgewater

I just emailed both Peel Holdings and C&RT specifically mentioning the situation over the Liverpool Link and I will post the replies here when I get them,

Blow the Liverpool Link, I was planning on a couple of weeks up to Bingley, but I'm not adding forty quid to the cost of the trip... this will cut down a lot of boats from the bottom end nipping up to the L&L and back. Maybe that's what they want.

A couple of years back, we met some refugees from Preston Brook marina, tied at the breach site south of Dutton. They'd been in PB for quite a while, but Peel had changed the manager and the new one had really cracked down on boater organised activity in the marina, driving a lot of them out as a result.

I suspect Peel really, really don't like boaters, I fear.

I'm a bit confused.

I've just transited the Bridgewater (i was on it less than 24hrs) to go to Burscough Heritage Weekend (on CRT waters). Does this now mean that i can't go to Lymm Historic Transport Day (on Bridgewater) next weekend?