Bridgewater Canal

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Just received this from CRT:

"We have become aware that Bridgewater Canal have changed their approach to enforcement for Canal & River Trust licencees. They have confirmed to us that they are only allowing Trust licencees a 7 consecutive day access to the canal without charge, no return allowed within 28 days. After the 7 days is expired people will be required to purchase short-term licences."

Seems quite clear now.

We have become aware that Bridgewater Canal have changed their approach to enforcement for Canal & River Trust licencees. They have confirmed to us that they are only allowing Trust licencees a 7 consecutive day access to the canal without charge, no return allowed within 28 days. After the 7 days is expired people will be required to purchase short-term licences.

Canal & River Trust are seeking to review this change with the Bridgewater Canal and will advise further when this is done.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/8191/bridgewater-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

I presume that if you don't use up your 7 days you could go back sooner than 28 days to use up the rest of your 7 days?

Presumably not as it specifically says 7 consecutive days.

It's going to make it difficult to visit Liverpool now.

It's official then :(

If they won't budge, one assumes CRT will apply a similar change to the "reciprocal agreement"....

I believe the only 'change' is that the Bridgewater are now seeking to enforce the rules that have always applied. It is their football, I suppose they're entitled to take it home ;)

Rog

Hmm, Liverpool is on my to do list. How active are they at logging boats, what's the chances of being logged going from Rochdale Canal to Wigan in a day, possibly 2? Take a chance and cough up for a visitor permit on the way back if collared. Cart say they are in discussion with Peel, wonder what their agenda is?

it might be my memory playing tricks, but is this the same Bridgewater Canal where years ago (20 or so) it was necessary to pay an additional fee to pass through a series of locks in Manchester when cruising the Cheshire Ring from Macclesfield down the Bridgewater to Preston Brook. I think they were the Rochdale locks - but it wasn't the Rochdale Canal as such - or was it.

I remember is it cost £26 to pass through. The top gate was chained shut with a big padlock that someone in a local office unlocked when you paid. £26 was a lot of money then and seemed like highway robbery considering it only took an hour or so to pass through half a dozen locks.

The other bit of memory was the top lock was in a 'tunnel' under a multi-storey building, and as you passed through the gloom, vague shadows of people 'living' there could be seen - rather eerie!

it might be my memory playing tricks, but is this the same Bridgewater Canal where years ago (20 or so) it was necessary to pay an additional fee to pass through a series of locks in Manchester when cruising the Cheshire Ring from Macclesfield down the Bridgewater to Preston Brook. I think they were the Rochdale locks - but it wasn't the Rochdale Canal as such - or was it.

I remember is it cost £26 to pass through. The top gate was chained shut with a big padlock that someone in a local office unlocked when you paid. £26 was a lot of money then and seemed like highway robbery considering it only took an hour or so to pass through half a dozen locks.

The other bit of memory was the top lock was in a 'tunnel' under a multi-storey building, and as you passed through the gloom, vague shadows of people 'living' there could be seen - rather eerie!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84691

It is the Rochdale canal you are thinking of. The Rochdale used to be a private company only operating the "Rochdale 9" to create the Cheshire ring when the rest of the Rochdale was not navigable. You had to pay a fee, paid when I went through it to a man who appeared from a house above one of the locks. Now the canal is all CRT.

The tunnel was and is Piccadilly lock - more recently known as a gay pick-up point.

email sent to Peel for clarification

Hi, I am moored on the Rochdale Canal, I intend to travel to Liverpool, going from Castlefield to Leigh and the Leeds and Liverpool in a day, two days at most. I would be returning within a couple of weeks, possibly not within 7 days. I have seen a recent email from C&RT and am requesting clarification. I would not be spending more than 7 days on the waterway, though they would not be consecutive. Would I need to purchase a visitor licence to make a return passage within 28 days of the initial passage?

How active are they at logging boats, what's the chances of being logged going from Rochdale Canal to Wigan in a day

Depends where you moor up I think. I was logged (spoken to) in Sale but the EO clearly had no idea that I'd been moored near Dunham for a week prior to that.

email sent to Peel for clarification

Hi, I am moored on the Rochdale Canal, I intend to travel to Liverpool, going from Castlefield to Leigh and the Leeds and Liverpool in a day, two days at most. I would be returning within a couple of weeks, possibly not within 7 days. I have seen a recent email from C&RT and am requesting clarification. I would not be spending more than 7 days on the waterway, though they would not be consecutive. Would I need to purchase a visitor licence to make a return passage within 28 days of the initial passage?

Sounds good.

As I posted on facebook, while I think its reasonable and in fact appropriate to have a formal clarification on the the 'return time' is between 7 day stints, if it now costs £40 to do an out and back to say Liverpool, where you are spending less than 7 days in total but over a period that is between 7 days and 28 in length, I think that has lost the intention and spirit of the agreement.

Daniel

Hmm, Liverpool is on my to do list. How active are they at logging boats, what's the chances of being logged going from Rochdale Canal to Wigan in a day, possibly 2? Take a chance and cough up for a visitor permit on the way back if collared. Cart say they are in discussion with Peel, wonder what their agenda is?

You only have to go from Castlefield to Leigh before you leave the Bridgewater and you can do that in a few hours non-stop. I doubt very much that anyone would be any the wiser.

Canal plan says 11.5days round trip, but I want to spend a couple of nights in Liverpool, so will just try sneaking through to Leigh. In a red boat? Camo paint, anyone?

You only have to go from Castlefield to Leigh before you leave the Bridgewater and you can do that in a few hours non-stop. I doubt very much that anyone would be any the wiser.

You can do the whole canal in a day..... it's not quite 35miles end to end.

Daniel

Thanks for the link. All very interesting, My memory is not so bad it seems.

I got the impression from the thread it was taken over and now run by CRT at no charge, but back on this page, there's talk of a 7-day license, so it is not free - why is this - nobody has mentioned how much it is today.

Thanks for the link. All very interesting, My memory is not so bad it seems.

I got the impression from the thread it was taken over and now run by CRT at no charge, but back on this page, there's talk of a 7-day license, so it is not free - why is this - nobody has mentioned how much it is today.

You're confusing the Rochdale, which is indeed now run by CRT at no charge, and the adjoining Bridgewater, which is run by the Peel Group and which CRT licence holders are only allowed to use free of charge for 7 consecutive days (with no return within 28 days) - any more and they have to buy a Bridgewater licence.

You're confusing the Rochdale, which is indeed now run by CRT at no charge, and the adjoining Bridgewater, which is run by the Peel Group and which CRT licence holders are only allowed to use free of charge for 7 consecutive days (with no return within 28 days) - any more and they have to buy a Bridgewater licence.

I think I understand. Thanks. ....but how much is a Bridgewater license please. And is that for a short stay - like another 7 days if you return under 28 days - and does it allow 7 days free use of CRT canals?

I think I understand. Thanks. ....but how much is a Bridgewater license please. And is that for a short stay - like another 7 days if you return under 28 days - and does it allow 7 days free use of CRT canals?

A 7-day Bridgewater licence, for CRT-licensed boats wanting to stay on the Bridgewater for longer than their free 7 days, costs £40. Boats with permanent moorings on the Bridgewater need an annual Bridgewater licence, which allows them a certain amount of free use of certain nearby stretches of CRT waterways. I don't know the details, but you could look into it on their website if you like:

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/licensing

Canal plan says 11.5days round trip, but I want to spend a couple of nights in Liverpool, so will just try sneaking through to Leigh. In a red boat? Camo paint, anyone?

You could always do it at night, if you want a little adventure, or make a dash for it in daylight like the Scharhorst & Gneisenau, with MSC torpedo bombers trying to sink you.