Where has all the unthusiam gone, is the heart of preservation now dead?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Someone recently told me that the pair at Weedon are owned purely to stop other people mooring outside their house. Not sure if true or not!

Probably the other pair to be honest Junior. The ones at Weedon are on the offside whereas Edgware and Balham are moored on the towpath outside a house.

I could be wrong though :)

Balham is paired with Edgware iirc - we passed it when we brought Barnet south I think.

As we now own Barnet and Kennington which are two ends of the Northern line I remember wondering if there was a boat called Morden (there is but not historic AFAIK?) or Mill Hill East (nobody is that odd) which would be the full set along with Edgware.

I wonder if there was one called Mornington Crescent.

As all the town class boats were, I believe, named after stations (except for the mysterious Bilster) I wonder how many others had the names of stations on the London Underground. Tottenham Court Road sounds unlikely, but were there for example a Chesham, a Watford or an Amersham?

Didn't the Waterways Padre have a GU boat called Godley (Junction)? Or was it Moses Gate?cool.png

Wasn't there a Town Class called Angel? That would have suited him.

Edit: thanks to the very informative AMModels web site I've found that there was indeed an Angel; other tube station names included Hampstead, Alperton, and arguably Stratford.

Edited by Athy

Edit: thanks to the very informative AMModels web site I've found that there was indeed an Angel; other tube station names included Hampstead, Alperton, and arguably Stratford.

Angel, yes. She is paired with Badsey at Hillmorton at the moment.

Owned by Ian, AKA Canal Chief but he no longer posts here.

6271430.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Some more suggestions (apologies if already listed by someone....

MOTORS:

Aldgate (103)

Paddington (160)

Pinner (191)

Sudbury (176)

Victoria (97) (OK, I know it is not a "Town" class, but its an underground station)

BUTTYS

Bayswater (230)

Chalfont (251)

Ruislip (348)

Angel (211), already mentioned, and once owned by my brother Pete, is of course the Angel, Islington.

Angel (211), already mentioned, and once owned by my brother Pete, is of course the Angel, Islington.

And something of a paradox in that it is a Town Class or Large GU boat, whereas all the other boats named after heavenly bodies were Small/Star Class.

Lutine was built as a hire boat in 1972, her shell was typical of the time with a fibreglass top and I'm proud to have a little bit of leisure boat history. If anyone has a brochure from Gordon's Pleasure Cruisers (Napton) from that era I'd love to find out which one of the fleet she was, as Lutine was not her original name as far as I know.

Does LUTINE have a B.W.B. / C.R.T. index number ?

I started to type a long reply about where and why my enthusiasm in the cut has waned recently (having spent my whole life involved with canals and old boats in particular) but decided not to bother.

The long and the short of it is - yes a lot of my enthusiasm is disappearing and I am currently reviewing my future involvement. Some of the previous posts have highlighted reasons why.

I started to type a long reply about where and why my enthusiasm in the cut has waned recently (having spent my whole life involved with canals and old boats in particular) but decided not to bother.

The long and the short of it is - yes a lot of my enthusiasm is disappearing and I am currently reviewing my future involvement. Some of the previous posts have highlighted reasons why.

That would be a great shame. I hope the spark comes back soon.

Dan

When you see comments on FB like this it does make you wonder about the canal's future.

"So the way I see things .. The c&rt want totally rid of cc'ers... So just leaving hire boats stag wkenders and stuck up permanent mooring people in there 50s and 60s.. Nasty"

• Greenie 1

And something of a paradox in that it is a Town Class or Large GU boat, whereas all the other boats named after heavenly bodies were Small/Star Class.

There is no such thing in the outset of GUCCCo which refers to "Star" or "Town" classes.

Only the "Royalty" class were referred to by a title and even then, they too had classification letters, ie Type "D". This letter format is on reference and drawings but seems to have kept itself conserved to the office crowd whereas outside the terms "Little Woolwich" and similar tended to be used. The full letter prefix system seems to have run from "A" to "S", however I do tend to think they shortened the series taking out the letters applied to second orders etc.

There are a myriad of mis spelt names too, "Bilster" is almost certainly meant to be "Bilston" for one example (GUCCCo did a lot of trade to ironworks). "Glaxy" should have been "Galaxy" and so on.

Whilst we seem to have drifted off the original theme it is of note that at least one "Royalty" butty may be extant in Hawtrey's pit at Harefield, maybe not "salvageable" but worthy of scanning and measuring.

There are a myriad of mis spelt names too, "Bilster" is almost certainly meant to be "Bilston" for one example

Yes indeed - and I wonder if there is really a place called Edgeware.

Just happen to have in front of me a copy of

Inland waterways of Britain by Roger Calvert - Published by Ian Allan 1963

Lots of really interesting pictures I've not seen elsewhere, some of the K&A and its before the Forth and Clyde shut so working canal pictures up north. Also a picture of the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation, and the directors making their annual inspection, in a horse boat.

Also tells me that the average fall of the open canals in 1963 was 3' 11" pre mile.

And Fulbourne was the name of a railway station, but the village it served is Fulbourn.

Probably Fulbourne was an older spelling of the place's name. Near us, there is a "Whittlesea" station - though the town which it serves has long since changed its spelling to "Whittlesey". The former Wisbech station was originally "Wisbeach", on older spelling of the town's name.

Edited by Athy