Where has all the unthusiam gone, is the heart of preservation now dead?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Yes indeed - and I wonder if there is really a place called Edgeware.

Edgeware is a suburb of Christchurch, New Zealand, to the north of the central city. It is centred on a cluster of some 20 shops that make up Edgeware Village on Edgeware Road near Colombo Street's northern end.[1]

Edgeware is a suburb of Christchurch, New Zealand, to the north of the central city. It is centred on a cluster of some 20 shops that make up Edgeware Village on Edgeware Road near Colombo Street's northern end.[1]

Do you remember that Ian Dury song, 'There Ain't Half Been Some Clever.....'?

Probably Fulbourne was an older spelling of the place's name.

Indeed it is. But by 1937, when the GUCCC named the boat, the village was Fulbourn. Only the railway used the final 'e' , adding some weight to the theory that the Town Class boat names were selected from a railway guide.

Indeed it is. But by 1937, when the GUCCC named the boat, the village was Fulbourn. Only the railway used the final 'e' , adding some weight to the theory that the Town Class boat names were selected from a railway guide.

Yes - as per my post no. 175.

There are two junctions on the Staffs and Worcester, Autherley and Aldersley. Apparently, these are two different spellings for the same place

Richard

Yes, or certainly they used to be a couple of hundred years ago. I think that nowadays Aldersley is used to denote the area, and Autherley solely for the junction. But another source reckons that "Aldersley School" is located in Codsall! Come in, our Black Country members...

Edited by Athy

I think to remain enthusiastic about any project it has to give you the feel good factor and a sense of achievement.

From my experience of volunteering for my local railway preservation society I was very enthusiastic for a number of years until it suddenly damned on me that trying to achieve the aim of re-instating a working railway beyond that of a demonstration line was almost futile. Couple that with a very obvious clique of members who seemed to keep all the best jobs to themselves, lack of finances and constant infighting and I soon realised I'd be better off doing something else!

Thanks Pete, Indeed she does - 60670 - which I assume is her original number, she was relaunched in 2011

Back in 1983 B.W.B. index 60670 was named CHUNKY, which was also the case in 1985. 60670 was issued in 1980/81 and is unlikely to have been re-allocated to any other boat.

Jim Shead has:

Creamcheese Built by Rugby Boatblders - Length : 13.71 metres ( 45 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.66 metres ( 2 feet 2 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 60670 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Back in 1983 B.W.B. index 60670 was named CHUNKY, which was also the case in 1985. 60670 was issued in 1980/81 and is unlikely to have been re-allocated to any other boat.

Jim Shead has:

Creamcheese Built by Rugby Boatblders - Length : 13.71 metres ( 45 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.66 metres ( 2 feet 2 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 60670 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Thank you Pete, the description matches (45 feet by 6 foot 9 - she may be less than 2 foot 2 draft nowadays but she's too light on ballast) and she is a Rugby Boatbuilders.

Well chuffed, I owe you a large coffee or a pint

Edited to add, she was also named Creamcheese when I first saw her, but her name was changed back to Lutine Bell (the name before Creamcheese) after her hull replate

Edited by magpie patrick

Thank you Pete, the description matches (45 feet by 6 foot 9 - she may be less than 2 foot 2 draft nowadays but she's too light on ballast) and she is a Rugby Boatbuilders.

Well chuffed, I owe you a large coffee or a pint

That poor boat has been cursed with terrible names for most of its life

Richard

I seem to recall that Creamcheese once belonged to a couple who were refitting her and who used to post on here, but I haven't seen anything of them for ages. I think she was a university student (they posted a picture of her graduating). Are they still about?

I seem to recall that Creamcheese once belonged to a couple who were refitting her and who used to post on here, but I haven't seen anything of them for ages. I think she was a university student (they posted a picture of her graduating). Are they still about?

Not as an entity.

Paul Catchpole was one half of that couple and sold me Lutine, his relationship with Kate didn't last but last year he married a lady named Rebecca and they seem very happy indeed, they live onboard nb Instigator. Paul had Instigator built to replace Lutine (hence the sale to me) - she was built near Boston and he had her launched in the Welland with a short trip on the Wash for her maiden cruise!

Paul Catchpole was one half of that couple and sold me Lutine, his relationship with Kate didn't last but last year he married a lady named Rebecca and they seem very happy indeed, they live onboard nb Instigator. Paul had Instigator built to replace Lutine (hence the sale to me) - she was built near Boston and he had her launched in the Welland with a short trip on the Wash for her maiden cruise!

Good info - now that you mention his name, I remember it. Is Kate still on the waterways too? I seem to remember that they took on two fairly tired-looking boats for renovation, so I suppose that if they split up they'd walk, or cruise, away with one each.

Well one thing echoing from this thread is that not many folks are terribly interested in seeing more "Joshers" saved and around the cut, you wont find another trance as there exists in Harefield. Perhaphs the mass practical side of being enthusiasts has waned? Or, are there too many of the "same" seen at rallies now? FMC v GUCCCo?

By virtue steel and iron craft will eventually become the main focus of the historic boats as even the "good" example in wood still as orginal and not rebuilds will see a docking and extensive work within a much shorter time.

From my own point of view if I had to choose one boat of the many I have owned to have back it would be "Neptune" in its fully converted mode, OK expensive to maintain but heck, what a beautiful boat (Pity she is now missing with no fate known).

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I dont think thats what people are saying Laurence, you could find people in a heartbeat who would take on one of the joshers and convert them into motors but the money isnt there. The act of converting them to motors would negate the historic aspect of them per se but if the costs were similar to 40 years ago and the number of yards who were proficient at the work was still the same then I could see all of them finding homes but sadly the skills needed are expensive these days and the number of waterside premises to do the work yourself (pull out chop and so on) are being sold off or have already gone.

Laurence I think a lot of enthusiasm is still there, but what you seem to miss in your observations is money, or lack of. It does seem to be the central element in the majority of posts in this thread. With a Neal or Cooke windlass reaching silly amounts which, when made were practically 2 a penny, what chance has any prospective boat rescue got?

I notice you did not sell Barnett for "pennies" to ensure its preservation. I don't suppose in all reality you could afford to let it go for less than its true value. Neither can most of us individually now afford to rescue and restore any of these boats.

Like it or not in these current times economics drives us all. I am certainly not "filthy rich". It costs me enough to keep my leisure boat going without investing £200k ish to be left with a boat worth £70-80K ish, even if I could find a buyer.

I dont think thats what people are saying Laurence, you could find people in a heartbeat who would take on one of the joshers and convert them into motors but the money isnt there. The act of converting them to motors would negate the historic aspect of them per se but if the costs were similar to 40 years ago and the number of yards who were proficient at the work was still the same then I could see all of them finding homes but sadly the skills needed are expensive these days and the number of waterside premises to do the work yourself (pull out chop and so on) are being sold off or have already gone.

I don't agree with this Andy, first there plenty of money about and its easy to get a loan as the banks are begging to lend.

As against 40 years ago (1976) we had around 35 good reputation yards to choose from, we have lost good Boatbuilders from well known yards back then (Tooley, Joe Gilbert, Ken Keay to name a few)but have gained probably ten times more builders with highly efficient masterful work available, from new names that have come along to take on that type of work. Sadly we have lost some of the new good ones now, ie Keith Ball.

40 years ago costs were exactly the same in respect to what you paid and what was done, Converting a Bantock to a motor tug in 1980 was estimated at £5750 by WFBCo to me then, that would have purchased a luxury motor car back then.

I will agree finding a place to work yourself maybe a little harder but there are still plenty of yards offering that type of space.

There seems to be an underlying factor where there is more a need to purchase something "finished", "Turnkey and go", rather than plan your own restoration. I think that has become the problem and too many are affected by that solution to their needs.

Maybe the people who have the money and are able to get the loans arent the same people as those who have the inclination, I couldnt afford it but I would do it without a second thought if I could.

I do agree tht many people want a ready to go boat, one with all the dirty stuff done but I think that reflects society as much as anything.