Moored or not, that is the question.

dogless

Featured Posts

I'm not seeking an argument, nor looking to cause dissent in camp.

However, yesterday I left my mooring at the wide at Higher Poynton, and cruised the one and a half hours to Marple to empty cassettes at the elsan there.

Having done so, and done a bit of shopping, I decided Marple was a bit bustling and noisey for me, so headed back to Higher Poynton.

By coincidence, the mooring I'd vacated was empty, so I winded and moored as I had that morning, but having been away for about 6 hours.

If the mooring was restricted (which it isn't) does this count towards my time on it, or does the clock start again.

I know, I should probably go find something to do, but this has never happened to me before so I'd never considered the situation. My guess would be that if, for example it was a 48hr mooring my time would be up today as if I'd never moved.

Rog

I'd be inclined to say, it all depends on when you were last "Boat checked" for location. The next one will show you still to be in the same place, maybe 15 days apart.

It will be down to you, to set the record straight, when asked about over staying.

Move to a new place, at least 2 kilometers away, will record as a different place.

Bod

On the Macclesfield, it's like a working man's Tixall wide :)

I promise I'm not worried, it's just my wife is away for a few days, and I'm therefore left alone with my thoughts.

It's surprising how few thoughts I have that don't involve beer.

Rog

I'd be inclined to say, it all depends on when you were last "Boat checked" for location. The next one will show you still to be in the same place, maybe 15 days apart.

It will be down to you, to set the record straight, when asked about over staying.

Move to a new place, at least 2 kilometers away, will record as a different place.

Bod

Thank you I get that, but this is just a hyperthetical question. A bit like if a tree falls in a forest and there's no one to hear it etc etc

If I stay one night, go off the day and return many hours later, is that night my 48 hrs up, or does leaving start my 48hrs again.

Rog

You mentioned it was not a restricted space, so I'd expect you to be fine. If it was restricted though, which is what you asked, I think you'd have to ask yourself whether you would you expect to be immune from a traffic wardens attention if we were talking about a parking space? Actually, I think you already know, you don't wish to be selfish and you have a conscience. If you didn't, you'd just get prissy and talk about your rights. ;)

I'd have thought it would probably count towards the time limit, but I suppose it only really matters if you are going to be there the full 14 days. Otherwise you could moor up on a 48 hour mooring, go for a mornings cruise and go back for another 48 hours, which I suspect would be frowned on. Assuming anyone either noticed or cared, and there's usually enough room at Higher Poynton for no-one to bother much. I do think mostly this is a lot of fuss about nothing unless one continually pushes the boundaries.

As a bit of a side track, I've never understood what's going on along there. There's the boatyard in the junction bit, which is private moorings, but south of that, where the flashes are, the towpath side always seems to be full of permanently moored (and occasionally sunk) boats, as if it's now private, but there's no signs to say so.

However, yesterday I left my mooring at the wide at Higher Poynton, and cruised the one and a half hours to Marple to empty cassettes at the elsan there.

Having done so, and done a bit of shopping, I decided Marple was a bit bustling and noisey for me, so headed back to Higher Poynton.

By coincidence, the mooring I'd vacated was empty, so I winded and moored as I had that morning, but having been away for about 6 hours.

If the mooring was restricted (which it isn't) does this count towards my time on it, or does the clock start again.

I know, I should probably go find something to do, but this has never happened to me before so I'd never considered the situation. My guess would be that if, for example it was a 48hr mooring my time would be up today as if I'd never moved.

Rog

I would say that as the trip away from the mooring was trivial, in comparison with the time at the mooring before and after the trip away, then the period of time doesn't restart.

If you had overnighted in Marple, you might have more of an argument (and it wouldn't be manifestly unreasonable to spend 14 nights at Higher Poynton, one at Marple then 14 at Higher Poynton).

To be honest, I always get the impression that Higher Poynton is a location where there is a good deal of overstaying, and I am surprised that at least a part of that mooring hasn't been made 48 hour.

Rog

That conundrum is exactly the reason why free on street parking spaces have a "No Return in XX hours" requirement.

On the Macclesfield, it's like a working man's Tixall wide smile.png

I promise I'm not worried, it's just my wife is away for a few days, and I'm therefore left alone with my thoughts.

It's surprising how few thoughts I have that don't involve beer.

So stop worrying then, and get down the Boars Head for a pint. It's a lovely day out there

Edited by captain birdseye

A lot of folk on this forum talk so much about waterway law, how much they know and how they are right and CaRT are wrongl They love to find technicalities (loopholes) to exploit. I think you should ask yourself, Am I morally right or morally wrong? Is what I have done fair and decent in terms of sharing the waterway with other users? If its an unpopular spot that nobody else wants and there is other space around then ignore the 48 sign and stay for 14 days! If its a popular spot and you just got lucky that nobody else took it then you should leave it for somebody else to have a turn.

But if you want something to chew over till the pub opens.... What about if you untied, moved out 14 feet away from the bank for ten minutes (so that technically another boat could have taken that spot) and then moved back in, does the 48 hours start again then?????

...................Dave

• Greenie 2

As a general comment from someone hardly affected by long stay moorings - 48 hours at most (two nights) on a round trip leisure cruise - I can only guess it boils down to a problem of how busy the place is.

Why have a 48 hour limit. What is it for?

It could hardly be classed as busy if you vacated it and 6 hours later found it still empty on return.

My view is that time limits are set to give everyone a chance to moor at popular spots - but who counts the time of a visit - I think it is a matter of common sense.- and purely a local issue that only you can judge.

If it was a serious problem, I guess there would be clear CRT guidance on the matter.

I would count the hours to my best advantage and start again from when you moored the second time. If that is 'wrong' then sooner or later an 'expert' will come along and put you wise - and then gracefully move on - but until they do - stay put.

Thank you for the responses. A pint of Black Sheep in the sun at the Boars Head was lovely.

I'm off in the morning anyway. The thought only crossed my mind after I saw a gentleman apparently taking boat numbers this morning.

There are no restriction signs here, so it's purely an idle thought. What thoughts I have tend to be idle ones.

Rog

The idea of restricted mooring is that because the stretch of mooring is popular, for example a pub, shopping, congenial surroundings, that the mooring is shared around on a fair basis. just because the mooring is not taken in six hours it doesn't mean someone might not turn up on the 7th hour!

I believe CRT have gone overboard with this 48 hour rule. They are unnecessary in the majority of cases and locations. We have travelled some 15+ miles today and possibly seen no more than a dozen boats on the move.

Martyn

I believe CRT have gone overboard with this 48 hour rule. They are unnecessary in the majority of cases and locations. We have travelled some 15+ miles today and possibly seen no more than a dozen boats on the move.

Martyn

Taking what you say literally, isn't that because they are all moored up somewhere - for more than 48 hours maybe - and if so were those on the move denied somewhere to moor because there was no free space at the popular spots.

• Greenie 1

You could say that. But, all the places we went through I could count on the fingers of one hand how many visitor moorings were taken up. Apart from Lymm that seems reasonably popular. We could have moored there if we had wanted to.

I would say that as the trip away from the mooring was trivial, in comparison with the time at the mooring before and after the trip away, then the period of time doesn't restart.

If you had overnighted in Marple, you might have more of an argument (and it wouldn't be manifestly unreasonable to spend 14 nights at Higher Poynton, one at Marple then 14 at Higher Poynton).

To be honest, I always get the impression that Higher Poynton is a location where there is a good deal of overstaying, and I am surprised that at least a part of that mooring hasn't been made 48 hour.

BW tried a few years ago to impose 48 hour moorings on some of the laughingly named The Deeps at Poynton, but all the signs disappeared overnight. As dogless says, it's now just ordinary 14 day towpath. Through the bridge is the water point, entry to the Braidbar yard (aka Lord Vernon's Wharf), the mooring for the Trading Post, one for the Braidbar hire boat, one for the Mary Sunley trip boat, then a stretch of LT CRT moorings. Opposite is the Vicroria Pit private moorings.

I've obviously spent far too much time hanging about there, though it is by way of a home from home for us because of our connection with Braidbar.

Oh, yes, strangers to the area should be aware that the channel is no wider on The Deeps than normal. That tatty line of posts in the water is all that's left of the offside bank, which is now a foot below the surface.

There's no need to include this type of personal detail...

Raspberries are one of my 'five a day' ;)

BW tried a few years ago to impose 48 hour moorings on some of the laughingly named The Deeps at Poynton, but all the signs disappeared overnight. As dogless says, it's now just ordinary 14 day towpath. Through the bridge is the water point, entry to the Braidbar yard (aka Lord Vernon's Wharf), the mooring for the Trading Post, one for the Braidbar hire boat, one for the Mary Sunley trip boat, then a stretch of LT CRT moorings. Opposite is the Vicroria Pit private moorings.

I've obviously spent far too much time hanging about there, though it is by way of a home from home for us because of our connection with Braidbar.

Oh, yes, strangers to the area should be aware that the channel is no wider on The Deeps than normal. That tatty line of posts in the water is all that's left of the offside bank, which is now a foot below the surface.

Saw you were heading back. Hope nothings wrong with the work you had done.

Rog

Why have a 48 hour limit. What is it for?

It could hardly be classed as busy if you vacated it and 6 hours later found it still empty on return.

unless you returned at 3pm on a nice day when a few boats are on the move, and those boats begin looking for a mooring at 5pm.