Washing Machine

Kharikola

Featured Posts

We went for a twin-tub.

Does the same job as a Washing machine and only uses 180 watts.

Washing machines - heating water - boats do not really go together unless your whole electrical system is built around them.

Just trying to 'use what you already have' is fraught with problems, not least of which is how are you going to replace the 'loads' of amps used by the washing machine.

potentially - more and more folks coming on here (OP excluded) wanting domestic resources and conditions but on small off grid resources.

That's not a criticism of such folk - it's just translating what's available from 'normality' (= urban) to a mobile lifestyle.

Generating a 'reasonable' amount of AC power from a very small battery bank is just not practical - people just do not realise that detail especially if you can't run some power generating capability at times that suit you.

We have a small twin tub that consumes not-a-lot. Copes with underwear, socks, a couple of shirts, but not a lot more. Jeans have to be washed individually. Then how do you dry the blurry things??

The washing and spinning part for a proper washing machine don't consume a lot of power - but the water heating does. Time was when you could buy a hot and cold fill machine - but not any more. Daft, because many land based folks water heating is cheaper if it's not electric.

Government rubbishes on about people being green - then market forces and regulation seems to do it's best to negate that.

Doomed, we're doomed.

Sorry to rant on but I find it very frustrating that it's difficult to lead a lifestyle that equates in some measure to what many - even frugal - folks could expect. In theory not too difficult, but in practice.....

Discuss.

End of rant. Thanks for reading.

Ok, thanks for your replies! Much appreciated!

A typical machine draws 10 amps for heating and I have five 110a

Leisure batteries. Will that be ok or will that suck my batteries dry?

Our washer used to hammer the battery bank on hot washes. We started using it on cold wash, adding hot water manually to the drum at the start (not possible on some machines.) This saved loads of battery power.

Our Candy washer is also extremely fussy about the waveform from the inverter or generator, and doesn't like anything except pure sine wave.

Great machine though now 12 years old. We wouldn't be without it.

Ok, thanks for your replies! Much appreciated!

A typical machine draws 10 amps for heating and I have five 110a

Leisure batteries. Will that be ok or will that suck my batteries dry?

That is 10 amps at 240 V. At 12 V it is 100A and will flatten your batteries smartly.

Gibbo always said that heating anything with batteries was a mugs game.Believe him!

N

Our washer used to hammer the battery bank on hot washes. We started using it on cold wash, adding hot water manually to the drum at the start (not possible on some machines.) This saved loads of battery power.

Our Candy washer is also extremely fussy about the waveform from the inverter or generator, and doesn't like anything except pure sine wave.

Great machine though now 12 years old. We wouldn't be without it.

We've also got a Candy, this one http://www.candy-domestic.co.uk/Products/details.aspx?Pid=147mainly because it is small and fits into the space that was created for it. We are on our second one as the first one burned out the bearing after 14 years (things just ain't made to last these days are they? rolleyes.gif ) . Very happy with it although we do need to run the engine (or be travelling) when is use as it consumes 1.3Kw but our 1.6Kw inverter copes with it.

We use one of those 'doll's house' camping washers. Twin tub, not much power at about 300W with all of it running. Cant find the name from where I'm sitting, and it's too early to get up out of my chair, but it's about £100 and sits in our shower cubicle.

That is 10 amps at 240 V. At 12 V it is 100A and will flatten your batteries smartly.

Gibbo always said that heating anything with batteries was a mugs game.Believe him!

N

Well generally yes, but you need to be realistic. A low wattage kettle, toaster, microwave or even dare I say it, the heating element of a washing machine, especially if engine is running to reduce inverter battery drain I would suggest would/should be acceptable. A well engineered system should comfortably cope with such given they are only short term high loads.

Feed too much electricity into it and it might go berserk, become malignant and turn into a Squashing mashine, spinning about all over the shop and squashing everything in sight.

Edited by bizzard

We have an auto washer. We put in hot water via a hose connected the the sink tap. The rest, rinses are cold. I'm sure your inverter would cope.

Twin tubs are good though.

We have a Zanussi.

Martyn

Likewise, we have a full size Indesit auto with a 2kw inverter. When off grid we just pour in hot water to start and let it run through the cold wash programme.

Time was when you could buy a hot and cold fill machine - but not any more. Daft, because many land based folks water heating is cheaper if it's not electric.

Government rubbishes on about people being green - then market forces and regulation seems to do it's best to negate that.

Is the demise of hot & cold fill washing machines really due to govt regulation? I've no idea, but it seems more likely to have happened as a result of market forces as you say. Presumably then if lots of people still wanted cold fill machines they'd still be around?

Also, if other forms of heating water are cheaper than electricity that doesn't necessarily make them "greener". The amount of energy used to heat a volume of water to a certain temperature will be more or less the same irrespective of the heating source. It's how that energy is produced and the emissions that it generates that will determine how green it is. Energy cost is a related but a slightly different issue. Cheap doesn't = green.

Edited by Claude

Look for launderettes and keep all your wet washing out of the boat

I hate launderettes. Bloody depressing places most of the time. One of the best things I installed on my boat was a washing machine.

In the long run a washing machine is a lot cheaper than going to launderettes as well.

Edited by Claude

I hate launderettes. Bloody depressing places most of the time. One of the best things I installed on my boat was a washing machine.

In the long run a washing machine is a lot cheaper than going to launderettes as well.

Every time I go to the laundrette it takes a couple of inches off the draught of the boat, - just the quantity of little round metal bits it uses up.