What Android Tablet?

cuthound

Featured Posts

As the title really.

My trusty Hudl, was my first foray into the world of tablets, and is now driving me mad with low battery autonomy and random charging issues.

I want something with an 8 or 10 inch screen. Nothing too large.

I am drawn to the Samsung range, which have a built in phone, to take advantage of all you can eat data, but have an open mind.

Suggestions, with pros and cons please.

I've just bought a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 with 10 inch screen. Previously had a Nexus 7 for 2 years. I find my stubby fingers on both of their keyboards seem to bring up letters that I'm sure I never pressed and the quirky predictive text and text correction means you need proof read before you hit the send button.

The larger screen is much better for watching the iPlayer and the battery life is upto 18 hours.

I have a Samsung SM-520 which has a 10.1" screen but no phone. It comes with loads of bloatware (pre-installed crap you can't get rid of unless you "root" the device - invalidating the warranty) and the battery life is not all that great. I previously had an IPad (owned by my company) which was far, far better - but more expensive of course. I think in retrospect I would go back to Apple...

You didn't say what your budget is...

My son has a Surface Pro by Microsoft. It wasn't cheap, but he uses it instead of a laptop and he says it will do just about anything a laptop can.

ETA - Oops, just noticed you said Android tablet. Obviously a Microsoft tablet would not have an Android OS.

Edited by Paul G2

For the past 2 years my wife and I have been delighted with our Samsung tablets, they both get heavy use and the batteries are still OK. Mine is a tab 2 10.1, hers is the more powerful Note 10.1. Both have done all we have asked of them. Didn't bother with the version with a built in phone as we can easily tether them to our phones when required.

Top Cat

Thanks all for your advice.

Budget isn't an issue.

A neighbour has a refurbished Lenovo Yoga, so I might have a play with that before deciding.

The only reason the Samsung with built in phone seemed attractive, was to get round the mobile service providers limitations on tethering. Probably not a deal breaker though.

My wife has a Samsung tab jobby twas not cheap. I have a cheapo thing nondescript that was less than half the price. They are both now over 2 years old and both work well. Its the same old story realy in that yes in a lot of cases you get what you pay for but in some cases like lectrics and cars for instance the big badge often means Jot.

Tim

I'm on three's 321 payg tariff and my missus has the Tesco capped monthly deal neither of us have had any trouble tethering. She gets 0.5gb for £7.50 a month she can get more if she wants it. I get a data allowance when I top up but can't remember what it is but it ain't much, however sufficient for my needs.

Top Cat

The only problem I have had with the Samsung Galaxy Note series, was a few years ago with the Note 8, I got a "3" all you can eat sim which worked fine for phone calls & data for about 2 days, when I got a sms message that the sim was meant for phones and not tablets and I could not use it until it was put back in my phone.

The sim still works fine to this day in my smart phone. I have been using "EE" sims in my tablet ever since (mostly the 100 Gb sim deal which according to other threads on here has now finished)

• Greenie 1

As the title really.

My trusty Hudl, was my first foray into the world of tablets, and is now driving me mad with low battery autonomy and random charging issues.

I want something with an 8 or 10 inch screen. Nothing too large.

I am drawn to the Samsung range, which have a built in phone, to take advantage of all you can eat data, but have an open mind.

Suggestions, with pros and cons please.

Have bought two Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 inch screen (SM-T520) tablets - one for my partner, another for my Mum, my brother chose this model as well. As its been out for some time now there are bargains to be had. Bought one shortly before Christmas for just over £200.

I have the slightly larger Tab S LTE model with 10.5 inch screen (SM-T805). Similar spec but with blindingly bright super AMOLED screen plus SIM card slot for 4G mobile data.

All four have performed perfectly.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 at Christmas and have been very happy with it so far. It only gets used at home so I went for the WiFi version - there's also a 4G version if you need to be more flexible.

As others have found, it has a bit of bloatware but I have ignored that so far - although Skype is a bit annoying and keeps updating.

Nice size for reading/viewing while holding one handed. Responsive touch screen (I keep trying to do the same with wife's laptop which annoys her greatly - anyone know a good screen cleaner product?) and good sized on-screen keyboard which pops up when required. Clear and colourful image and definition of text OK although most reviews seen to mark text reproduction down - I looked at that quite closely before buying. Battery life is fine - although still quite young so far. Gets daily use and seems to need a recharge about once a week/5 days. Gives you plenty of warning / options as battery gets low. I got the white version which looks neat and crisp although the screen takes up most of the face so you have to be a bit careful about how you hold it - it is possible to fool the touch screen if only a small part of your holding hand is touching the screen. Biggest annoyance is the 'swipe to switch on' - I always forget and wonder why the damn thing is not responding. I may go for a book cover (I've got one on my phone) which automatically switches it on when you open the cover. Prices seem a bit volatile - worth hanging on for a special offer - I think I got mine under £150 at Curry's??? Micro SD slot so you can expand a bit although that has not been an issue to me so far - I tend to be a bit careful about how much I download.

Thanks all,

I can feel a trip to Curry's coming on to decide which one feels right, followed by a session on Google to source it.

Typically the Hudl charging issue seems to have got better since it has been threatened with replacement.

• 1 month later...

Well, just to update this thread, I finally bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7" with G4. Now just need a SIM, although as it is mostly used on wifi, I might just use the one from my phone when cruising.

First impressions are good, although it came damn close to getting a float test in the cut, when my wifi dropped out after setting it up and installing my Gmail account, but whilst I was trying to set up my main email account.

Took me an hour of screaming before I realised that the wifi had dropped out.

Excellent battery life, 18 hours so far, especially when compared to the Hudl, which ever from new struggled to last 3 hours.

The bigger screen hopefully means a lot less phat phinger edits :)

Not so just noticed that it has an equally irritating autocorrect, which has just changed "phinger" to "printer"!

Well, just to update this thread, I finally bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7" with G4. Now just need a SIM, although as it is mostly used on wifi, I might just use the one from my phone when cruising.

First impressions are good, although it came damn close to getting a float test in the cut, when my wifi dropped out after setting it up and installing my Gmail account, but whilst I was trying to set up my main email account.

Took me an hour of screaming before I realised that the wifi had dropped out.

Excellent battery life, 18 hours so far, especially when compared to the Hudl, which ever from new struggled to last 3 hours.

The bigger screen hopefully means a lot less phat phinger edits :)

Not so just noticed that it has an equally irritating autocorrect, which has just changed "phinger" to "printer"!

The autocorrect can be turned off.

I've had my Tab A 9.7 for a year now and am still happy with it, the stylus is brilliant for taking notes at meetings with a screen that seems to be just the right size. - currently offshore using it now.

Thanks all,

I can feel a trip to Curry's coming on to decide which one feels right, followed by a session on Google to source it.

Typically the Hudl charging issue seems to have got better since it has been threatened with replacement.

Thanks all,

Hudl is great (for me) but they did have issue with charging voltage being critical. If you buy the latest Hudl charger you might find it works well enough. Do not be tempted with alternative chargers.

Hudl is great (for me) but they did have issue with charging voltage being critical. If you buy the latest Hudl charger you might find it works well enough. Do not be tempted with alternative chargers.

I thought they had stopped producing and selling the Hudl?

I bought a Levono. I was just jumping in to learn. The dosh seemed good. Having learned more, I would have bought an Ipad air 2 with G3 (its own GPS not needing wifi). More money than android but what the hell, these things are difficult to master. The ipad seems to have more of the app downloads covered with more ease. I'd get an Ipad air 2 with G3.

There was an advert in the Caravan Club monthly mag which was a thing called freindly books, how to do stuff on the tablets/pads. Anyway, I bought the package, £50 quidish, and I am happy with it and recommend you do the same if you are not an expert. You can pm me for details.