Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

The idea of sealing off a house against a flood is surely not straightforward? Seal it well & you are making your house a boat! Given enough water pressure it could float! Or more realistically, distort in some way. When my neighbour periodically blocks his drains the groundwater squirts up through cracks in my cellar floor. Fortunately my house is up a hill, but if it ever got inundated it would disintegrate, a victorian two-floor semi built of very lightweight bricks.

image-ac4963f8ea52e7704f983ea0e25dd68e93image-f850887ab25c2d6c6116cee255c6d9d26e

The boat above is Bristol Fashion. Used to be my home until I sold her to two lovely young ladies who have lived aboard for more than 4 yrs. Their precious cat Robin is missing, needless to say they're utterly devastated.

image-5f3b14cc45ae9c50225ae27180a68e1cfc

Aye, it's just about understanding...

Edited by Markinaboat

The idea of sealing off a house against a flood is surely not straightforward? Seal it well & you are making your house a boat! Given enough water pressure it could float! Or more realistically, distort in some way. When my neighbour periodically blocks his drains the groundwater squirts up through cracks in my cellar floor. Fortunately my house is up a hill, but if it ever got inundated it would disintegrate, a victorian two-floor semi built of very lightweight bricks.

Happened this week on some houses on our estate. The water came up through the concrete floors, even before it came over the threshold. My mate saw his laminate floor lifting before his eyes.The river literally rose into the houses. Nowt you can do when that happens, unless you happen to have a submersible pump. it is a game of odds. We pulled the kitchen units out of a house this morning and skipped them, the kitchen had only been fitted last week.

Happened this week on some houses on our estate. The water came up through the concrete floors, even before it came over the threshold. My mate saw his laminate floor lifting before his eyes.The river literally rose into the houses. Nowt you can do when that happens, unless you happen to have a submersible pump. it is a game of odds. We pulled the kitchen units out of a house this morning and skipped them, the kitchen had only been fitted last week.

our business flooded twice in 2007 i really do feel for you the first was just a foot of water the second was over 3 foot we lost over 11 cars between them. the floor in the garage was uneven afterwards and never really dried out every time it rains it goes damp even though it is a heated garage. good luck with your clear out and fingers crossed for the future

peter

If you want to operate a boat when disabled, then go ahead - and modify the boat so that you can get off.

We'll be having disabled astronauts next!

ETA: We were asked to move off the pontoon in Limehouse and move to the wall, to make way for a 'disabled' boater arriving.

It turned out to be the McFat family from Fat City. They could hardly wobble themselves off the boat onto the pontoon. Then they all wobbled off to town on foot.

Annoyed? Incandescent!

You may well benefit from some training in disability matters. Of course I do not know any details of the case you cite at Limehouse but some people do suffer from disabling conditions that result in being very overweight regardless of lifestyle. Do you really know that they were not in this category.

Furthermore, some disabling conditions are not readily visible on a casual encounter but still qualify for special support.

One of the consequences of widespread prejudice about disabling conditions is that the conditions for state support have been narrowed very considerably. People whose condition means that they cannot be employed are still refused help. Try asking someone who advises on benefits.

our business flooded twice in 2007 i really do feel for you the first was just a foot of water the second was over 3 foot we lost over 11 cars between them. the floor in the garage was uneven afterwards and never really dried out every time it rains it goes damp even though it is a heated garage. good luck with your clear out and fingers crossed for the future

peter

Many thanks for your concern, and sorry to hear about your losses in 2007. We were actually very lucky indeed in our house with just a couple of very minor inconveniences, but some of the neighbours really copped it. We just did all we could to help those most affected, as did many people, and if any good came of it, at least it demonstrated that people still have the right spirit at such times. So sad to see people throwing carpets in skips that had been fitted "in time for christmas" and in one case a brand new kitchen. One guy had just got his house back to normal after a fire, then it flooded.

Edited by Guest

You may well benefit from some training in disability matters. I doubt it. I already help out if required. I moved my boat. Of course I do not know any details of the case you cite at Limehouse but some people do suffer from disabling conditions that result in being very overweight regardless of lifestyle. Do you really know that they were not in this category. No I don't, but I do see a LOT of fat people who can hardly walk properly without swaying from side to side. I'm sure they're not ALL suffering from your suggested disease. Not all of them are on boats, but I see a much higher percentage of fat narrow boaters than I see elsewhere! Like long-distance lorry drivers.

Furthermore, some disabling conditions are not readily visible on a casual encounter but still qualify for special support. No argument there.

One of the consequences of widespread prejudice about disabling conditions is that the conditions for state support have been narrowed very considerably. People whose condition means that they cannot be employed are still refused help. Try asking someone who advises on benefits. Not sure what that would gain anyone.

Edited by Loafer

What apology? I didn't see any apology, and neither was one needed on Blackrose's part. I took the phrase to mean " common sense would say they shouldn't be on a boat".

I know that if it becomes difficult for me to go up and down ladders, I will have to give up single-handed boating (and therefore probably boating altogether).

Although, being between the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble, it doesn't look like I'll be doing any boating anyway, anytime soon - just to bring this lot back on topic, like!

We'll agree to differ then! by his own admission his comment wasnt pc and God forbid that I defend the pc brigade....

I do agree though common sense should prevail and as we know that is a most uncommon commodity these days

The floods would seem to be at a similar level as the horse you are sat on...........very high.

A little uncalled for I would say but I'm happy to hold the moral high ground against ignorance and selfish people

I'm sure ther are lots of people in the rose counties who would like some high ground right now ?

A little uncalled for I would say but I'm happy to hold the moral high ground against ignorance and selfish people

I'm sure ther are lots of people in the rose counties who would like some high ground right now

Playing the 'my wife is registered disabled' card was a trite uncalled for I would say, so as you have just said to Mac let's agree to differ.

And a Happy New year too.

Playing the 'my wife is registered disabled' card was a trite uncalled for I would say, so as you have just said to Mac let's agree to differ.

And a Happy New year too.

Isn't Jonathan just pointing out his comment is based on experience. You often ask for proof when someone makes a comment.

You may well benefit from some training in disability matters. Of course I do not know any details of the case you cite at Limehouse but some people do suffer from disabling conditions that result in being very overweight regardless of lifestyle. Do you really know that they were not in this category.

Furthermore, some disabling conditions are not readily visible on a casual encounter but still qualify for special support.

One of the consequences of widespread prejudice about disabling conditions is that the conditions for state support have been narrowed very considerably. People whose condition means that they cannot be employed are still refused help. Try asking someone who advises on benefits.

Interesting. I have always thought that fat came from eating food that was surplus to the body's immediate energy requirements. In other words, from eating more than was needed.

Are you saying that fat is produced by photosynthesis? Or some other mechanism than simple eating?

If not, then surely a life-style change involving less eating WOULD result in weight reduction.

Being one of those lucky people who doesn't have to bother how much he eats, I am nonetheless aware that eating only what you need is not so easy. But it is doable, and I don't think it helps over-weight people to pretend that there is nothing that they can do about it.

Nor does it help tax-payers, who have to fund the consequences of obesity.

Personally, I am in favour of a massive sugar tax. Not to mention a high minimum price for alcohol sold in supermarkets (which I have to say will hit me hard!).

• Greenie 1

Interesting. I have always thought that fat came from eating food that was surplus to the body's immediate energy requirements. In other words, from eating more than was needed.

Are you saying that fat is produced by photosynthesis? Or some other mechanism than simple eating?

If not, then surely a life-style change involving less eating WOULD result in weight reduction.

Being one of those lucky people who doesn't have to bother how much he eats, I am nonetheless aware that eating only what you need is not so easy. But it is doable, and I don't think it helps over-weight people to pretend that there is nothing that they can do about it.

Nor does it help tax-payers, who have to fund the consequences of obesity.

Personally, I am in favour of a massive sugar tax. Not to mention a high minimum price for alcohol sold in supermarkets (which I have to say will hit me hard!).

Whilst I would agree with your view on the Sugar Tax and minimum pricing for alcohol, I think that you views on fat metabolism is a bit simplistic. I also don't have to bother about what I eat so am equally fortunate on that front, with a BMI of 27 the tables say that I'm slightly overweight but since I'd need to weigh 11 stone (or grow 4 inches tallerunsure.png ) to fit the ideal BMI of 25 I'll stay as I am (I haven't been 11 stone since I was 15!). I have however worked with a bloke in Devon who to look at you would say 'He's overweight isn't he' probably weighing about 18 stone and the same height as me. He has however tried pretty much all of the available diets without much success. On the other hand he can, and regularly does, walk between 10 and 15 miles across open moorland on Dartmoor, the description 'fit as a butchers dog' would aptly describe him and yet he cannot lose weight.

It isn't as simple as just 'eat less' because when you do that the body goes into a starvation mode which means that when you do eat food it stores it almost immediately in anticipation of being 'starved' again. Once you get into that cycle it becomes almost impossible to break since the longer you starve yourself the more the body will try to store energy next time that you eat. It also has to be considered that we all eat to a level that is surplus to the body's immediate energy requirements (unless you are from a famine area) the difference is how people's bodies deal with the food that is eaten. There is even the suggestion that constant light 'grazing' is more effective than any diet since it prevents the body going into 'starvation' mode.

The problem is that I've seen a number of people with weight problems and they are not all Mcdonalds eating, couch potatoes.

I have always been "portly" (I prefer that to fat cool.png ) but I have always been active. The last two years I have been very inactive. The first year was as a carer, which meant although I was always busy, it wasn't physically very energetic. During that year I packed on an extra stone or so, normally this is not a problem, a couple of weeks single handing would normally get me back in shape. I then became ill and had extensive surgery which left me weak and unable to do much for several months. In spite of being careful with what I eat I have still managed to gain a few more pounds....and of course since I last weighed myself there has been Christmas biggrin.png . But I really have tried ever so ever so hard.....I haven't had a donut for WEEKS !!!!! sad.png

I would imagine that a lot of obesity is the result of poor education over the years. Most of the things that we were taught about food as kids appears to be completely wrong now. Sugar was excellent as it gave one energy etc. We always had the highest fat gold top milk in our house because of course it was "the best." People vary though; my sister was as thin as the proverbial rake for all of her life, whilst I put weight on if I have an extra round of toast. We were brought up on the same diet, and she always ate far more than I.

Edited to add I put weight on when i quit smoking (1977).

Edited by Guest

I would imagine that a lot of obesity is the result of poor education over the years. Most of the things that we were taught about food as kids appears to be completely wrong now. Sugar was excellent as it gave one energy etc. We always had the highest fat gold top milk in our house because of course it was "the best." People vary though; my sister was as thin as the proverbial rake for all of her life, whilst I put weight on if I have an extra round of toast. We were brought up on the same diet, and she always ate far more than I.

Edited to add I put weight on when i quit smoking (1977).

Sadly, me too - at least nearly a couple of stone, too after giving up the fags....

But back in the 70s my mum had a sideboard full of sugar (stashed because of the "shortage?").... and then we had to use it all up - think about their background and "education" though - rationing and shortages - so they HAD to try to fatten us up. My sister, too, was rake thin - but now ........

Really miss that "proper" milk though.

Sadly, me too - at least nearly a couple of stone, too after giving up the fags....

But back in the 70s my mum had a sideboard full of sugar (stashed because of the "shortage?").... and then we had to use it all up - think about their background and "education" though - rationing and shortages - so they HAD to try to fatten us up. My sister, too, was rake thin - but now ........

Really miss that "proper" milk though.

Corn flakes have never been the same since; gold top milk and a couple of dessert spoons of sugar ;)

I agree that the post war years had a lot to do with our diet.

According to Loafer its because all the overweight people live in the flood plains so the water has nowhere to go but the skinny peoples houses.

Or something like that.

So if we get all the fat people to move down south the water will run that way.

Regards kris