Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

I bet you feel like Noah

It's ok once you get used to it, but if it lasts more than a couple of weeks it's a pain getting wood or coal to the boat by dinghy.

I took these 2 years ago and it went about 2ft higher than that. It was about halfway up the red life ring.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTQwMjAxLTAwNTYxLmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTQwMjAxLTAwNTYwLmpwZw_zps

Edited by blackrose

I'll be ok because I'm prepared. I have a ladder to get on and off the boat, chest waders, life jackets, and if it gets really bad a dinghy and outboard engine. But 3 or 4 of my new neighbours here have nothing. They only moved here in the last year and haven't seen it in full flood. I keep trying to tell them but they don't listen. They don't seem to understand the concept of preparation. Once it floods it's too late to do anything.

The UK seems to have a fatalistic attitude, many folk seem to consider any individual preparations and defences a futile gesture. I despair when I see houses and their occupants devastated by a foot of floodwater when fairly modest precautions such as door and air brick barriers and drain plugs along with a portable pump and a sump could save many homes, instead everyone puts their faith in sandbags. Edited by nb Innisfree

Interesting, where on the Rhine is that? Edit, sorry I missed you had said Cologne. I know one bar we drink in along the Rhine has markers on the wall from where the Rhine has flooded it over many years. They are seriously high!

My daughter is close to the Ford factory just outside of Cologne (Nheil.)

Reminds me of a sign in the (Coal House?) pub at Apperley on the Severn, dating from 2007.

It says, very simply, This bl**dy high!

(above bar height)

Normally I detest this writer and I can hardly believe that I'm going to post one of his articles.
But it is very well written, and though slightly dated has some considerable validity. It may triggers some thoughts

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/flooding-public-spending-britain-europe-policies-homes

Please bear with it as it is quite long but it is worth reading

I have just read through it but I think it grossly oversimplifies the options.

The examples he uses are for upland catchments being reforested....fine makes good sense but he then lumps rivers as all the same, ie no dredging.

I agree that dredging is definitely counter productive in many areas but in certain types of river it is needed.

Where there is high flow rates already, it may be counter productive to increase it even more as it can then cause damage and erosion to river banks requiring piling etc.

On the other hand in sluggish rivers with low flow rate, dredging increases the volume that can be cleared by them.

I have just read through it but I think it grossly oversimplifies the options.

The examples he uses are for upland catchments being reforested....fine makes good sense but he then lumps rivers as all the same, ie no dredging.

I agree that dredging is definitely counter productive in many areas but in certain types of river it is needed.

Where there is high flow rates already, it may be counter productive to increase it even more as it can then cause damage and erosion to river banks requiring piling etc.

On the other hand in sluggish rivers with low flow rate, dredging increases the volume that can be cleared by them.

I agree

But as I have just said on the other thread his ideas aren't the whole solution

We do need to deal with every river system as a separate entity look at it from the top to the bottom and apply what fits best and does least harm.

There's little point in treating them all the same because that clearly doesn't work

At Trent Falls the land has been given back to the river on the east side. There is a farm there that stands on a slight rise. I have stood at Alkborough Maze on the hill above and seen the extent the lands floods. I will ask a question that many others are asking though "why has a state of emergency not been declared?"

Edited by tillergirl

Normally I detest this writer and I can hardly believe that I'm going to post one of his articles.

But it is very well written, and though slightly dated has some considerable validity. It may triggers some thoughts

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/flooding-public-spending-britain-europe-policies-homes

Please bear with it as it is quite long but it is worth reading

I agree with Monbiot up to a point. Unfortunately even if those ideas were fully implemented it might reduce the flooding but it wouldn't prevent it given the sheer amount of rainfall.

Self-righteous pontification on climate change and the causes of flooding is the easy bit, but we are all to blame. Everyone who's ever taken a flight, driven a car, bought a tv or switched on an electric kettle. There are no simple answers.

A rescue on the Warks Avon: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Man-rescued-narrowboat-swollen-River-Avon/story-28436471-detail/story.html

Briefly

"Crew members training on the River Avon in Tewkesbury helped a man with health and mobility issues who was unable to get off his narrowboat, by St Mary's Lane."

I don't think anything will prevent flooding completely

At best we can reduce the effects and find ways to live with it

that is my take too. Redesign new houses and do what is reasonably possible to prevent flooding. Damage limitation.

Edited by Guest

The UK seems to have a fatalistic attitude, many folk seem to consider any individual preparations and defences a futile gesture. I despair when I see houses and their occupants devastated by a foot of floodwater when fairly modest precautions such as door and air brick barriers and drain plugs along with a portable pump and a sump could save many homes, instead everyone puts their faith in sandbags.

In Hebden Bridge all of the shops on Market Street and many others in the town centre were fitted with flood boards and other precautions following the floods of 2012. But to no avail. The water level reached a foot or more above the top of the flood boards, and in many cases was part way up shop and house windows. There is no way that individual property owners could have prevented the water coming in. And even those who had pumps would have had a bit of a problem when the power went off.

we as a nation seem to have forgotten just how high flood water can rise.

just look at those historical flood level indicators on Thames locks, for example.

We don't live long enough to remember these things. They are mostly once in a few generations

Richard

A rescue on the Warks Avon: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Man-rescued-narrowboat-swollen-River-Avon/story-28436471-detail/story.html

Briefly

"Crew members training on the River Avon in Tewkesbury helped a man with health and mobility issues who was unable to get off his narrowboat, by St Mary's Lane."

It's not PC to say it, but in my opinion anyone who can't get off a boat quickly has no business being on it in the first place. I know everyone's into the inclusive society and all that, but when it goes against common sense it's ridiculous.

A plastic cruiser once brested up to my boat on the Thames because they couldn't find a mooring and the bloke's wife was trying to get off their boat and across my boat on crutches. She was getting very frustrated because it was too difficult for her. I know some will disagree but in it just doesn't seem safe in some circumstances to have people with mobility issues on boats (unless there are people aboard who are trained and the same route is frequently taken like some of the widebeams and narrowboats specifically set up for people with mobility issues). Unlike houses or flats, on a boat you never know exactly what sort of situation you will find yourself in.

We don't live long enough to remember these things. They are mostly once in a few generations

Richard

Yes, like these floods. Once in 100 years! Except that they happen every few years...

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

In Hebden Bridge all of the shops on Market Street and many others in the town centre were fitted with flood boards and other precautions following the floods of 2012. But to no avail. The water level reached a foot or more above the top of the flood boards, and in many cases was part way up shop and house windows. There is no way that individual property owners could have prevented the water coming in. And even those who had pumps would have had a bit of a problem when the power went off.

If flood level is too high then yes defences can be breached but relying on grid power is a bit short sighted. There are still many instances where fairly modest well thought out defences would be effective

. Unlike houses or flats, on a boat you never know exactly what sort of situation you will find yourself in.

(severely snipped)

Whilst I would normally accept your reasoning (albeit with a slight frown) recent events have tended to make the statement above significantly less valid.

I somehow doubt that the phrase "safe as houses" has much meaning at this moment for thousands of people across the North especially amongst those who had to be rescued from their predictably dry and safe houses and flats. wink.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by tidal

It's not PC to say it, but in my opinion anyone who can't get off a boat quickly has no business being on it in the first place. I know everyone's into the inclusive society and all that, but when it goes against common sense it's ridiculous.

A plastic cruiser once brested up to my boat on the Thames because they couldn't find a mooring and the bloke's wife was trying to get off their boat and across my boat on crutches. She was getting very frustrated because it was too difficult for her. I know some will disagree but in it just doesn't seem safe in some circumstances to have people with mobility issues on boats (unless there are people aboard who are trained and the same route is frequently taken like some of the widebeams and narrowboats specifically set up for people with mobility issues). Unlike houses or flats, on a boat you never know exactly what sort of situation you will find yourself in.

Yes, like these floods. Once in 100 years! Except that they happen every few years...

yes your right its not PC

its just offensive

my wife is a registered disabled so perhaps you would advocate that CRT don't allow us to hold a licence and then maybe we ought to consider other groups, who shouldn't be allowed on the canals.....

Frank is on its way! The river I'm moored on was about a foot over the bank yesterday. It went down about a foot last night but I think this next weather system will flood it properly because the land is saturated.

I'll be ok because I'm prepared. I have a ladder to get on and off the boat, chest waders, life jackets, and if it gets really bad a dinghy and outboard engine. But 3 or 4 of my new neighbours here have nothing. They only moved here in the last year and haven't seen it in full flood. I keep trying to tell them but they don't listen. They don't seem to understand the concept of preparation. Once it floods it's too late to do anything.

They know that if it gets bad they can come and stay with you, where everything will be under control.

Hope you've laid in extra food, toilet paper and cassettes.

Whilst I would normally accept your reasoning (albeit with a slight frown) recent events have tended to make the statement above significantly less valid.

I somehow doubt that the phrase "safe as houses" has much meaning at this moment for thousands of people across the North especially amongst those who had to be rescued from their predictably dry and safe houses and flats. wink.pngbiggrin.png

Well yes, but even in houses prone to flood, in most cases you've got time to get out before it actually floods.