Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

I think you need to check up on your stats here. The 18 stone Dartmoor walker (have you ever walked on Dartmoor? Ask the Marines about it) will actually burn at least 1300 calories on his 10 mile walk (or 1900 calories on his 15 mile walk) which would take him 1 hour and 40 minutes to achieve at a moderate rowing pace down the gym (who want to row for an hour and a half?). If you add to this his basal metabolic rate of 2200 calories we are talking of him burning a total of between 3000 and 4000 calories, not exactly insignificant.

Have I been on Dartmoor? Yes. I have also walked at high altitude in the Himalayas for two weeks. Ask the Sherpas about it, who carry heavier loads at 15,000 feet than the marines do at a few hundred. Dartmoor is nothing. Your mate probably eats far more than 4,000 calorie a day, which is why he weighs 18 stone.

The fact is that he wouldn't be so heavy if he wasn't eating more than he uses. This is surely obvious. No?

Have I been on Dartmoor? Yes. I have also walked at high altitude in the Himalayas for two weeks. Ask the Sherpas about it, who carry heavier loads at 15,000 feet than the marines do at a few hundred. Dartmoor is nothing. Your mate probably eats far more than 4,000 calorie a day, which is why he weighs 18 stone.

The fact is that he wouldn't be so heavy if he wasn't eating more than he uses. This is surely obvious. No?

Actually no it is NOT obvious since if he was eating more than he uses he would be continuing to put weight on, which he isn't he remains at about 18 stone. So to lose weight he now has to try to eat LESS than his body is using, known as starvation mode which is when the body will do all it can to store energy. You know nothing at all about his diet but assume that he eats more than 4,000 calories, based upon what?

Nicely, Mr. Hound. I just hope that I don't meet your boat coming towards me in the latter part of the day. Have a greeno while you're still sober enough to notice it.

CC, that is sad news, but thank you nonetheless. I was drinking a pint of Ward's in the wonderfully Victorian Princess Louise in Holborn on a most momentous day in my life - when I first met the future Mrs. Athy!

Actually no it is NOT obvious since if he was eating more than he uses he would be continuing to put weight on, which he isn't he remains at about 18 stone. So to lose weight he now has to try to eat LESS than his body is using, known as starvation mode which is when the body will do all it can to store energy. You know nothing at all about his diet but assume that he eats more than 4,000 calories, based upon what?

Based on the simple fact that he isn't losing weight. You don't need to be Einstein to get your head around that theory.

The body can discard excess calories, but it can't create them out of thin air.

At least, not earthling bodies, but perhaps your friend is from a wandering star which follows its own natural laws and where matter can be created from pure imagination.

Based on the simple fact that he isn't losing weight. You don't need to be Einstein to get your head around that theory.

The body can discard excess calories, but it can't create them out of thin air.

At least, not earthling bodies, but perhaps your friend is from a wandering star which follows its own natural laws and where matter can be created from pure imagination.

So if, as you say the body can discard excess calories, why bother dieting? Under your strange theory it will just discard what it doesn't need so you should be free to eat whatever you like and it will discard what it doesn't need, or perhaps it doesn't work like that?unsure.png

So if, as you say the body can discard excess calories, why bother dieting? Under your strange theory it will just discard what it doesn't need so you should be free to eat whatever you like and it will discard what it doesn't need, or perhaps it doesn't work like that?unsure.png

A few seconds' thought will show you that the body almost certainly does discard excess calories. The problem is that different bodies do so at different rates, and those whose bodies do so very slowly tend to get fatter and fatter.

I eat pretty much what I feel like eating. I eat real food, not junk, but there's plenty of calories because I like eating meat with fat on it, chocolate, alchohol, butter, etc. I am very lucky because despite eating three or four times as many calories as I need, I am not fat. But, having said that, I admit I do host a small surplus of avoirdupois.

There are many people like me. If there weren't, we'd almost all be fat, grossly fat, because in the UK today almost everybody eats much more than they need. My feeling is that the body adapts to the demands we place on it, so that those who do a lot of physical activity tend to be slim, those who do some tend to be only a little bit podgy, and those who do none get fat.

I am no expert, and I may be wrong, but it's surely highly unlikely that those with a stable weight, and who aren't slaves to the scales, are eating EXACTLY the same number of calories as they consume. I would think the chances of that are close to zero. I think the body regulates our weight pretty well - in most cases.

None of what I say is meant to disparage those who DON'T tend to shed surplus calories. I feel for them; eating is a huge pleasure, and hard to resist..

Edited by George94

Link to Calder flooding / Rochdale Canal smashed up a bit photos posted - you'll find it if you really want to.

You're flogging a dead horse, here, Foxy - the Weight Watchers have taken over. But I've seen your pics, and horribly spectacular they are too. Makes me wonder where I'll be able to go when my boat eventually gets back in the water.

Black puddings are the new superfood of 2016. I am in heaven.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/forget-broccoli-the-superfood-of-2016-is-fry-up-094239449.html

In life, it is important to live long enough so that what was once frowned upon becomes OK again.

Black pudding and haggis (not usually together) - food for heroes.

I know threads go off topic on here but I had hoped one discussing something important might actually stand a chance of being kept relevant to serve as a useful resource for those interested and affected.

Seems I was wrong.

Cheers.

Gareth.

Lots of reasons / excuses being given by the various authorities for flooding - e.g. "climate change" - "El Nino" - lack of dredging - building on floodplains - block paving driveways - refugees - asylum seekers etc.

(OK, maybe not the last two, but it's probably only a matter of time).

I recently came across the Flood Prevention Society - "A voluntary society dedicated to pursuing all avenues of preventing avoidable flooding", according to their website:

http://www.floodpreventionsociety.org.uk/

They have some very interesting things to say about flooding in the UK, especially in their "Urban Myths" page:

http://www.floodpreventionsociety.org.uk/urban_myths.html

Edited by PaulG

I know threads go off topic on here but I had hoped one discussing something important might actually stand a chance of being kept relevant to serve as a useful resource for those interested and affected.

Seems I was wrong.

Cheers.

Gareth.

Yes and no.

You are right that such important events deserve reporting and updating. On the other hand, the onset of Thread Wander indicates that the floods are no longer in the forefront of the news - in other words, that the worst is over. This can only be a good thing.

Seems I was wrong.

Cheers.

Gareth.

Not really - I think fat people have a better chance of surviving in floods, they just bob about a bit as the water carries them from Todmorden to York, and then they can get out and shake themselves like dogs do ;)

Thin people just get sucked into paddle holes and get stuck in them.

Generations of local drainage knowledge abandoned, thousands of brains containing detailed local maps, just how anyone could have underestimated the amount of data contained in those thousands of brains beats me.

Simplistic thinking IMO.

Will have to be a virtual greenie sorry. Certaily true where I live, and the level of ignorance is set to continue. You couldn't make up the stuff that is happening around here re. floods.

Edited by Guest

Seems I was wrong.

Cheers.

Gareth.

The discussion re. the floods (which have affected the people where I live as a community badly) are alive and kicking, with many good contributions. I have benefited in several ways from those who contributed and thank them for same. I see no problem in the "diversions" into other subjects which is inevitable in any conversation whether it be typed on a forum or verbal. C'est la vie.

Lots of reasons / excuses being given by the various authorities for flooding - e.g. "climate change" - "El Nino" - lack of dredging - building on floodplains - block paving driveways - refugees - asylum seekers etc.

(OK, maybe not the last two, but it's probably only a matter of time).

I recently came across the Flood Prevention Society - "A voluntary society dedicated to pursuing all avenues of preventing avoidable flooding", according to their website:

http://www.floodpreventionsociety.org.uk/

They have some very interesting things to say about flooding in the UK, especially in their "Urban Myths" page:

http://www.floodpreventionsociety.org.uk/urban_myths.html

Brilliant link many thanks for posting. Some food for thought there.

Edited by Guest

Generations of local drainage knowledge abandoned, thousands of brains containing detailed local maps, just how anyone could have underestimated the amount of data contained in those thousands of brains beats me.

Simplistic thinking IMO.

You're evidently making a point here, but I am not sure what it is. Who are these people who have abandoned their local knowledge, and why did they do so? if their local knowledge of drainage is so good, why have there been devastating floods? Please explain!

Will have to be a virtual greenie sorry. Certaily true where I live, and the level of ignorance is set to continue. You couldn't make up the stuff that is happening around here re. floods.

I believe we can retrieve that system of local knowledge by creating a national workforce, paid for by the £78 billion lost to flooding, would improve moral among disparate people by having meaningful employment. That lost knowledge would soon be relearnt.

Alas, most supermarkets do not yet have handpumps, so buying in bottle or tin is the only way to go. I bought some Yorkshire-brewed beer today and it's definitely a "real" ale - Black Sheep. But I would have to go many a mile to find it on draught, and I actually want to drink it at home with my dinner!

Is Ward's still brewed? "Ward's Fine Malt Ales" used to be a West Riding firm, somewhere in the Sheffield area. Amazingly, I found a pub in Holborn, central London, which sold it.

i am sure there is just the entrance way to wards in sheffield now. i used to do asbestos inspections and we did wards before they knocked part of it down and convert to build des res apartments they have no soul sick.gif

i am sure there is just the entrance way to wards in sheffield now. i used to do asbestos inspections and we did wards before they knocked part of it down and convert to build des res apartments they have no soul sick.gif

That's surprising: conversions of old buildings can often have more "soul" than brand new buildings (the marvellous impressionist art museum in Paris which is a converted railway station springs to mind). Have the developers of Ward's botched the job?