Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

All over Facebook about boats coming adrift in boatyards etc. This is terrible.

This is being shared at the min

""""Know anyone who has a boat moored in West Yorkshire who doesn't live aboard and lives out of the area. They must get to their boat ASAP. Rochdale Canal, Aire n Calder all under threat. There's boats washed away from their moorings all over the county.""""

Edited by jenlyn

I've not got a photo (it's dark and my phone doesn't manage them well at the best of times) but here in wakefield, The Calder is currently at it Highest ever recorded level and still rising... we went for a walk just now, and the police have moved the residents off their boats at the hepworth warf and shut chantry bridge. The water is now coming onto Thornes Road and bursting through the drains.

Anyone on their boats at broad cut are now marooned and hopefully ok.

A mountain blowing its top like Mt. St Helens does more damage than decades of man-made emissions.

no

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011).

The published estimates of the global CO2 emission rate for all degassing subaerial (on land) and submarine volcanoes lie in a range from 0.13 gigaton to 0.44 gigaton per year (Gerlach, 1991; Varekamp et al., 1992; Allard, 1992; Sano and Williams, 1996; Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998). The preferred global estimates of the authors of these studies range from about 0.15 to 0.26 gigaton per year. The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates. It is 135 times larger than the highest preferred global volcanic CO2 estimate of 0.26 gigaton per year (Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998).
In recent times, about 70 volcanoes are normally active each year on the Earth’s subaerial terrain. One of these is Kīlauea volcano in Hawaii, which has an annual baseline CO2 output of about 0.0031 gigatons per year [Gerlach et al., 2002]. It would take a huge addition of volcanoes to the subaerial landscape—the equivalent of an extra 11,200 Kīlauea volcanoes—to scale up the global volcanic CO2 emission rate to the anthropogenic CO2 emission rate. Similarly, scaling up the volcanic rate to the current anthropogenic rate by adding more submarine volcanoes would require an addition of about 360 more mid-ocean ridge systems to the sea floor, based on mid-ocean ridge CO2 estimates of Marty and Tolstikhin (1998).
There continues to be efforts to reduce uncertainties and improve estimates of present-day global volcanic CO2 emissions, but there is little doubt among volcanic gas scientists that the anthropogenic CO2 emissions dwarf global volcanic CO2 emissions.

source http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 1

we all know the climate is changing, but it is far from proven that this period of change is the result of carbon emissions. The climate has been changing as long as the Earth has orbited the Sun.

I support sustainable energy but I don't believe it will make much difference to world climate trends. A mountain blowing its top like Mt. St Helens does more damage than decades of man-made emissions.

It may be far from proven that climate change is a result of anthropogenic activity and carbon emissions, however the vast weight of scientific evidence supports that consensus view. In fact it is fairly difficult to definitively prove anything in scientific research.

You are correct that an erupting volcano will effect the climate, but anthropogenic emissions occur in addition to that not instead of it. The climate system is dynamic and so finely balanced that it's affected by many factors. What evidence do you have for your belief that reducing our carbon emissions won't make much difference to climate change? Do you have any proof?

Anyway, I blame all those illegal immigrants. They have weighed the country down and now the water is lapping over the edge.

But on a more serious note, my sympathies go out to anyone affected, as some may know we had our garage broken into the night before Christmas Eve but that pales into insignificance compared to having your home flooded.

Edited by nicknorman

Up here in the weirder parts of Shropshire theres plenty of folk who don't believe in climate change, mind you theres plenty who don't believe in evolution either so enlightentment may be a long while in coming.

I stand corrected.

that's what comes of listening to a couple of intelligent, successful and well-educated engineers over a meal and a few drinks.

I know sod all about engineering. I can at a push tinker with my engine and change the oil, but 30 seconds conversation and you'd know I was a hopeless bluffer. My research degree is in upland hydro ecology relating to peatland and subsequently I've done a lot of work in the Pennines on water, and more pertinently carbon transfer in upland peat. I've read a lot of papers relating to carbon and the influence of peat degradation on atmospheric co2. I still wouldn't pretend to be an expert on the relationship between climate and carbon, but I'm getting there.

One of the things I've learned is that you're engineer friends are not alone in having fixed opinions outside of their discipline. I've had conversations about climate change with guys who work at CERN and they are still essentially bull******s outside of their own discipline, but I think partly because it is so high profile, and partly because it isn't science you can replicate between the hours of 9-5 on a lab bench, non environmental scientists think it's somehow hazier than proper science. It isn't.

• Greenie 2

we all know the climate is changing, but it is far from proven that this period of change is the result of carbon emissions. The climate has been changing as long as the Earth has orbited the Sun.

I support sustainable energy but I don't believe it will make much difference to world climate trends. A mountain blowing its top like Mt. St Helens does more damage than decades of man-made emissions.

Yep that about sums it up. Greenie awarded.

Tim

Climate is a chaotic system. A butterfly's wings... etc. So whether or not the earth is warming, dumping a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere over such a short time (relatively) is to climate like poking a hornets' nest with a big stick. There may be no additional hornets created, but they sure will be angry and unpredictable.

If one understands the concept of a chaotic system I would say intuitively that disturbing it even slightly is likely to cause climate change and so for me I would be looking for scientific proof that this is not happening, rather than proof that it is.

• Greenie 4

Climate is a chaotic system. A butterfly's wings... etc. So whether or not the earth is warming, dumping a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere over such a short time (relatively) is to climate like poking a hornets' nest with a big stick. There may be no additional hornets created, but they sure will be angry and unpredictable.

Nicely put