Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

yes your right its not PC

its just offensive

my wife is a registered disabled so perhaps you would advocate that CRT don't allow us to hold a licence and then maybe we ought to consider other groups, who shouldn't be allowed on the canals.....

Is it as offensive as someone being killed because they couldn't get off a boat quickly? I said nothing about registered disabled. Lots of people are registered disabled but they can still get on and off boats quickly if they need to. I was talking about those who can't. I also never said anything about anyone not being allowed on the canals - they are your words. It is of course a personal choice. I happen to think having people on boats who can't move is a bad idea. That's a personal opinion and nothing to do with what's permitted.

• Greenie 1

Why? Do these poor folks not need some help?

Will declaring a state of emergency somehow bring them more help?

Do you actually understand what declaring a state of emergency means?

It doesn't give the government permission to send in emergency resources to help people. They can, and do, send in emergency resources without declaring a state of emergency.

Declaring a state of emergency is about government taking additional powers that would not be regarded as acceptable in a non-emergency situation.

What additional powers do you think the government needs in this situation?

It's not PC to say it, but in my opinion anyone who can't get off a boat quickly has no business being on it in the first place. I know everyone's into the inclusive society and all that, but when it goes against common sense it's ridiculous.

A plastic cruiser once brested up to my boat on the Thames because they couldn't find a mooring and the bloke's wife was trying to get off their boat and across my boat on crutches. She was getting very frustrated because it was too difficult for her. I know some will disagree but in it just doesn't seem safe in some circumstances to have people with mobility issues on boats (unless there are people aboard who are trained and the same route is frequently taken like some of the widebeams and narrowboats specifically set up for people with mobility issues). Unlike houses or flats, on a boat you never know exactly what sort of situation you will find yourself in.

Yes, like these floods. Once in 100 years! Except that they happen every few years...

I had a situation on the Severn when I was moored up at a pub mooring pontoon at Haw Bridge leaving another mooring free but which was constructed from an old barge serving as a pontoon. (You may know it). A boat arrived late in the day and insisted we move to the other mooring so that they could have our spot. The reason? The 'barge pontoon' was too high and they wouldn't be able to get off the boat there.

So I agree, if you can't get on and off your boat easily, you shouldn't be boating.

Is it as offensive as someone being killed because they couldn't get off a boat quickly? I said nothing about registered disabled. Lots of people are registered disabled but they can still get on and off boats quickly if they need to. I was talking about those who can't. I also never said anything about anyone not being allowed on the canals - they are your words. It is of course a personal choice. I happen to think having people on boats who can't move is a bad idea. That's a personal opinion and nothing to do with what's permitted.

apology accepted !

suggest you re-read your post as your recollection of it seems to differ from what you actually wrote... for instance "no business being on it in the first place"

If you want to operate a boat when disabled, then go ahead - and modify the boat so that you can get off.

We'll be having disabled astronauts next!

ETA: We were asked to move off the pontoon in Limehouse and move to the wall, to make way for a 'disabled' boater arriving.

It turned out to be the McFat family from Fat City. They could hardly wobble themselves off the boat onto the pontoon. Then they all wobbled off to town on foot.

Annoyed? Incandescent!

Edited by Loafer

apology accepted !

suggest you re-read your post as your recollection of it seems to differ from what you actually wrote... for instance "no business being on it in the first place"

What apology? I didn't see any apology, and neither was one needed on Blackrose's part. I took the phrase to mean " common sense would say they shouldn't be on a boat".

I know that if it becomes difficult for me to go up and down ladders, I will have to give up single-handed boating (and therefore probably boating altogether).

Although, being between the Rochdale and Calder & Hebble, it doesn't look like I'll be doing any boating anyway, anytime soon - just to bring this lot back on topic, like!

Will declaring a state of emergency somehow bring them more help?

Do you actually understand what declaring a state of emergency means?

It doesn't give the government permission to send in emergency resources to help people. They can, and do, send in emergency resources without declaring a state of emergency.

Declaring a state of emergency is about government taking additional powers that would not be regarded as acceptable in a non-emergency situation.

What additional powers do you think the government needs in this situation?

Rimmer: Step up to red alert.

Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?

yes your right its not PC

its just offensive

my wife is a registered disabled so perhaps you would advocate that CRT don't allow us to hold a licence and then maybe we ought to consider other groups, who shouldn't be allowed on the canals.....

The floods would seem to be at a similar level as the horse you are sat on...........very high.

If you want to operate a boat when disabled, then go ahead - and modify the boat so that you can get off.

We'll be having disabled astronauts next!

ETA: We were asked to move off the pontoon in Limehouse and move to the wall, to make way for a 'disabled' boater arriving.

It turned out to be the McFat family from Fat City. They could hardly wobble themselves off the boat onto the pontoon. Then they all wobbled off to town on foot.

Annoyed? Incandescent!

what annoys me is the sheffield and south yorkshire navigation was designed with disabled people in mind, yet the only place where disabled cant get on and off is because 2 boats for disabled and disadvantaged block the lock moorings. swinton lock project people without brains help.gif

they are getting help soldiers/raf, police, fire brigaid and defra i fail to see what else can be done

Must say we have been out this morning filling skips and wagons around our estate. Can't speak for everywhere, but I don't think the local council and emergency services could have done a great deal more to help than they already have, and quite a few home owners are getting awarded a sum of money from an emergency fund. Also our locally elected councillor was present with rigger boots and overalls, working his butt off. Not from the party I would normally vote for TBH, but might well get my vote next time.

The only thing that peed me off was a stupid car driver who got in a real strop because she couldn't get past the skip we were loading in the road. It took five minutes! Is that a record? smile.png Must say that a steering wheel does seem to bring out the worst in some people sad.png

Edited by Guest

If I wanted to be boating at this time, is there a map anywhere that would show me which canals/rivers are always safe to use and which could flood?

I think that the easiest answer to that is you will find that most summit pounds are going to be 'safe' but anywhere with a river in it will have the possibility of flooding. If you were ever on a summit pound and had trouble with flooding you would at least have the 'consolation' that there will be a lot of people below you who will be worse offhuh.png

If flood level is too high then yes defences can be breached but relying on grid power is a bit short sighted. There are still many instances where fairly modest well thought out defences would be effective

• rep_up.png

You set me thinking with this statement (and the previous one).... on boxing day night, there we were, putting the important stuff onto the dining room table in preparation of the flood defences here being over-powered... In reality, blocking off the air-bricks would have been a more prudent idea as having an under-floor and steps up (about 2 foot) into the bungalow would mean we might not be totally shafted. SO I got to looking, and for the modest sum of 25 quid, you can buy just the things.... 8 air-bricks on our place so perhaps 200 quid well spent...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-brick-vent-flood-cover-Double-brick-9x6-/201479360811?hash=item2ee91b112b:g:ZJoAAOSwfZ1WYwYM

Your comments about "some people" being able to take steps to protect their homes, therefore DOES apply to us.

You set me thinking with this statement (and the previous one).... on boxing day night, there we were, putting the important stuff onto the dining room table in preparation of the flood defences here being over-powered... In reality, blocking off the air-bricks would have been a more prudent idea as having an under-floor and steps up (about 2 foot) into the bungalow would mean we might not be totally shafted. SO I got to looking, and for the modest sum of 25 quid, you can buy just the things.... 8 air-bricks on our place so perhaps 200 quid well spent...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-brick-vent-flood-cover-Double-brick-9x6-/201479360811?hash=item2ee91b112b:g:ZJoAAOSwfZ1WYwYM

Your comments about "some people" being able to take steps to protect their homes, therefore DOES apply to us.

They seem a good idea.

I have seen a few people on our estate sealing things up with expanding foam with a view to further rain. A bit messy perhaps, but if it saves from further flood damage?

Never seen the l&l canal in the Yorkshire side flood in my time

You send all the water to our end ;)

The L&L was over the bank at one point on boxing day at one particularly low bit near Parbold. This is the first time I have ever seen this happen (we usually don't have enough water in it!) The people who own the marina at Wigan said the level came up in no time at all and dropped again as quickly. They have never known this to happen before. Strange times.

You send all the water to our end wink.png

The L&L was over the bank at one point on boxing day at one particularly low bit near Parbold. This is the first time I have ever seen this happen (we usually don't have enough water in it!) The people who own the marina at Wigan said the level came up in no time at all and dropped again as quickly. They have never known this to happen before. Strange times.

The wind from the SW wouldn't have helped as a strong wind can result in a level change of several inches between Liverpool and Parbold.

The wind from the SW wouldn't have helped as a strong wind can result in a level change of several inches between Liverpool and Parbold.

Interesting hadn't thought about that. Never seen the L&L canal like it was on Boxing day in around 50 years of using/living by it.