Stolen boat alert

Ally

Featured Posts

Over to the broker: "Offering ample under-seat storage space, a neutral colour scheme, would benefit from internal tidying..."

\It does look as if patient and enthusiastic scrubbing will achieve a lot. I wonder why they have removed the ceiling light fitting? The water damage does not appear to extend that far up.

The silt marks on the ceiling appear to have been wiped off around the light fitting hole.

...giving the impression that the ceiling had not been submerged, yes.

I was expecting the interior to have been stripped, but it reads as if everything is still there.

I think that the insurance company will stipulate that no stripping-out or renovation be done until they have inspected the extent of the damage.

Yes. But in what way does that affect its insurance? If the premium had been paid, that will still be valid, won't it?

Absolutely no idea.

I'd suggest that the insurance company won't pay out as the insured value is going to be far greater than what it will get at auction. The receivers would be looking for the best return in the shortest time, and this boat is up for auction in it's current state.

Richard

with regards to insurance it may be worth noting that most (if not all) policies require a valid BSS and License to be in force, the majority of the ex avante boats available are listed as having no bss in place (and none at all have a license) which would suggest that any insurance policy would have been void.

I was toying with the idea of getting this boat and refitting it

the hull / cabin looks to be in fairly good structural condition from the pictures.

internally you are probably looking at a total refit (remember this boat was totally down for around a month) although the existing woodwork is probably still good enough to use as cutting templates if you wanted to refit back to near original.

I have decided against it even at £1000

I did some research about it's recent history (in addition to whats already known from the "stolen boat alert" thread)

previous knowledge of the boat was that it was stolen / sunk by unknown means

what I managed to find out by speaking to a few people is that the boat appears to have been sunk by removing the weed hatch (the hatch was not in place when the boat was raised) and running the engine at full speed in reverse (based on throttle position when raised)

also to make the engine run for longer before being submerged the air filter had been rotated to draw air in at the maximum possible height

this means that it is 99% certain that the engine was running at full revs when it suddenly sucked in water instead of air, as a result the engine is very likely at the point where it would be cheaper to replace it with a brand new one instead of rebuilding the existing one (if it's even possible)

That's remarkable information, Jess. It suggests that not only was it sunk on purpose, but it was obviously sunk by a boater - a casual thief would not have known about the weed hatch, for a start.