Stolen boat alert

Ally

Featured Posts

Anyone around the river soar, grand union, or potentially trent and Mersey, erewash, etc.

We have just been asked to keep a look out for a 57ft cruiser stern narrowboat, thought to be heading south on the soar. It went missing in the early hours of this morning, possibly around 3am, from Redhill marina, at the Nottingham end of the Soar.

It is signwritten Henry V, dark blue, possibly with red handrails. The front bulkhead has windows either side of the doors.

This information was given us by a man cycling this end of the towpath, helping in the search, and I'm afraid those were the only details he could give us.

Any sightings or information, please contact Rehill marina on 01509 672770 or 07760 627421.

We can confirm they haven't yet reached the wreake. The current is strong at the moment, and if heading south, they are running against it.

If anyone happens to know the boat and can give any more details of recognisable details, please do add.

Henry V Built by Unknown - Length : 17.06 metres ( 56 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 508435 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

So, index number is 508435

Richard

From the boat index, I'm guessing it's this, though not much help other than registration number :

Henry V Built by Unknown - Length : 17.06 metres ( 56 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 508435 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Beat me to it Richard!

Is this the Henry V that was until recently moored on the Fossdyke?

If it is then it is fairly recently painted.

I will have a dig around and see if I have any pictures of it if it is this one.

There is only one listed, so you may have photos of the very boat

Richard

It's one of the Shakespeare line / Avante hire boats that have been laid up at Redhill for over a year.

It's one of the Shakespeare Line/ Avante hire boats that have been stores at Redhill since they went bust over a year ago.

It isn't this one then. It was a private boat.

It's one of the Shakespeare line / Avante hire boats that have been laid up at Redhill for over a year.It's one of the Shakespeare Line/ Avante hire boats that have been stores at Redhill since they went bust over a year ago.

So dark blue with red handrails, looks a bit like an ex Black Prince, name on both the bow flashes and panels at the stern.

Looks a lot like this one:

post-15689-0-22060700-1449237970_thumb.jpeg

ETA Borrowed from Avante's website, doubt if they'll mind...

Edited by BruceinSanity

Blimey how do you get away with nicking a narrowboat without craning it out and hiding it somewhere ? I would have thought it a bit easy for the police to just wait somewhere along the route and nab them .

With a 999HP engine, you can go quite fast, than the wash will remove any pursuers on the towpath :)

MP.

Blimey how do you get away with nicking a narrowboat without craning it out and hiding it somewhere ? I would have thought it a bit easy for the police to just wait somewhere along the route and nab them .

You're right, basically you can't nick a narrowboat and keep it. People have tried nicking hire boats and re-painting them quick but each one is so different to others and there are so many people who know what they are looking for. Even if you craned it out (and no one saw you doing it) there are a limited no. of firms / places to disguise it. So, either the people nicking it are stupid or, they are after the contents of it.

It would be helpful to publish the Crime Number, then if it is spotted the Police may be more interested in coming out to the middle of nowhere when the crime number is quoted to them.

Otherwise they may not be so enthusiastic to investigate based upon .......

"I read on an internet forum that someone I don't know wrote that they met a bloke on a bike who said ........."

With a 999HP engine, you can go quite fast, than the wash will remove any pursuers on the towpath smile.png

MP.

I just have this picture in my head of a "high " Speed chase with a day boat with a blue light and siren crewed by the keystone cops , in hot pursuit reaching speeds in excess of 4 mph even past moored boats .woohoo ...

Sorry I know it is not funny for the owner but the image did just pop in there .. cant help it .

Still cant get my head around who would think they could get away with nicking a narrowboat then try to escape on a inland waterway .... IMO should make an episode of worlds dumbest criminals .. I mean even if they manage to evade capture how quickly do they think they can repaint and re-register etc without someone noticing / reporting them ?

You're right, basically you can't nick a narrowboat and keep it. People have tried nicking hire boats and re-painting them quick but each one is so different to others and there are so many people who know what they are looking for. Even if you craned it out (and no one saw you doing it) there are a limited no. of firms / places to disguise it. So, either the people nicking it are stupid or, they are after the contents of it.

Posted before reading this tiggs but yeah you are right .. even if after contents I would have thought it was a risky business given the canal community spirit , one would guess these arnt boaters but chancers

I just have this picture in my head of a "high " Speed chase with a day boat with a blue light and siren crewed by the keystone cops , in hot pursuit reaching speeds in excess of 4 mph even past moored boats .woohoo ...

Sorry I know it is not funny for the owner but the image did just pop in there .. cant help it .

Still cant get my head around who would think they could get away with nicking a narrowboat then try to escape on a inland waterway .... IMO should make an episode of worlds dumbest criminals .. I mean even if they manage to evade capture how quickly do they think they can repaint and re-register etc without someone noticing / reporting them ?

Posted before reading this tiggs but yeah you are right .. even if after contents I would have thought it was a risky business given the canal community spirit , one would guess these arnt boaters but chancers

People do occasionally get away with it.

Que Sera Sera never got found

We did own a boat that was once used as a get-away vehicle in robbery. It had a police do not move notice on it when it was bought.

It was a narrowboat. It went missing. It never got found.

Yeah, I got that bit, but when, what was it like and why do you think it was never found.

I know of a boat ages ago that was stolen from a hire company in the midlands and found on a mooring in Oxford painted a different colour a few weeks later. So Que Sera Sera must have been lifted out ?

We did own a boat that was once used as a get-away vehicle in robbery. It had a police do not move notice on it when it was bought.

Yeah, I got that bit, but when, what was it like and why do you think it was never found.

I know of a boat ages ago that was stolen from a hire company in the midlands and found on a mooring in Oxford painted a different colour a few weeks later. So Que Sera Sera must have been lifted out ?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20824

in the words of Eddie Murphy Get the frick outa here or words to that effect .. really .. afriad the images are back ... of the high speed (4mph ) chase ... did they employ a gettaway helmsman ? who was expert in winding mid cut ? ... then as you say according to that canal register website there are alot of boats out there with near 1000 HP engines I so I guess it could happen boat.gif

Doesn't help for this stolen boat.

Holly, whilst in the ownership of Middlewich Narrowboats was not returned from hire (read stolen) was re painted but found:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8050

Doesn't help for this stolen boat.

Holly, whilst in the ownership of Middlewich Narrowboats was not returned from hire (read stolen) was re painted but found:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8050

yes I can see that could work , as it would buy you time to re paint and crane out and move a large distance before anyone noticed it was gone .

Makes you think though doesnt it , I never thought a boat was at risk of being nicked from a marina in particular looks like I was wrong

There have been one or two stolen around the system. Last year one went from EMBS at kegworth, was eventually found wrecked and trying to be sold. Another, a very distinctive Louise & Joshua boat was stolen from Sawley marina a few years back, painted with blacking all over, and red on the ports. It was returned but went straight up to brokerage after. A heartbroken owner of what had been a lovely bespoke boat. Most seem to make a quick getaway to a backwater for a quick disguising, but most are eventually found.

I knew someone would ask for the crime number! I'm sure Redhill could provide that if anyone wants to ask.