Stolen boat alert

Ally

Featured Posts

I believe that criminals have carried out similar "cloning" with stolen cars.

Cloning cars is pretty easy, just find a similar one and get a duplicate set of number plates made up. I got sent a speeding ticket for a time and place I hadn't been and had to send pictures of my car in to prove my innocence. Thanks to my son's style of driving mine had some distinctive marks that proved it was a different car...

Cloning cars is pretty easy, just find a similar one and get a duplicate set of number plates made up. I got sent a speeding ticket for a time and place I hadn't been and had to send pictures of my car in to prove my innocence. Thanks to my son's style of driving mine had some distinctive marks that proved it was a different car...

Cloning cars is something of a problem but now getting the duplicate set of plates made up is a lot more difficult, you'd need to find a 'dodgy' merchant to do it for you. All of the legitimate number plate makers will want evidence of the car you want them for, like a V5 document or they wont do it. If you want to try knocking one together yourself you need to be pretty good at it since anything that looks home made (even these stick on one's you can make) will get you stopped and checked.

To be honest if it were my boat that had gone missing I'd be getting a pushbike together to check along the towpath looking for it. It wont have gone (very far) down the T & M because Stenson lock is closed until 20th December and it can't go far up the Trent since Newark lock is still shut so it has either gone down the Soar towards Leicester or up the Erewash. With a bike you should be able to check both of those direction in a couple of days. Whilst the theft has been reported to the Police, realistically are they going to send someone to patrol the towpath looking for it? I wouldn't think so.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

To be honest if it were my boat that had gone missing I'd be getting a pushbike together to check along the towpath looking for it. It wont have gone (very far) down the T & M because Stenson lock is closed until 20th December and it can't go far up the Trent since Newark lock is still shut so it has either gone down the Soar towards Leicester or up the Erewash. With a bike you should be able to check both of those direction in a couple of days. Whilst the theft has been reported to the Police, realistically are they going to send someone to patrol the towpath looking for it? I wouldn't think so.

I wonder who owns it?

Cloning cars is something of a problem but now getting the duplicate set of plates made up is a lot more difficult, you'd need to find a 'dodgy' merchant to do it for you. All of the legitimate number plate makers will want evidence of the car you want them for, like a V5 document or they wont do it. If you want to try knocking one together yourself you need to be pretty good at it since anything that looks home made (even these stick on one's you can make) will get you stopped and checked.

They were out on pushbikes covering at least the length of the Soar. That's how I found out about it. Think I mentioned that in the original post.

They were out on pushbikes covering at least the length of the Soar. That's how I found out about it. Think I mentioned that in the original post.

It's the sensible approach. I think that my search pattern would have been to start at Sileby Mill and work back towards Redhill marina since they'd have to be pretty damn good to get that far in a day, particularly if they are going against the current. I hope that they find it soon.