The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

i would love this pub as my local……as would my other half…..im afraid our cruising pattern hasn't taken us past for the last few years….something which may need to be fixed….and I agree nothing needs to change…..I love it as it is….long may it continue…..everything is perfect….i even like the toilets!

Cheers

Gareth

A follower! We should have you stuffed!!b0220.gif

I know I helped to spread the word its open and hopefully that will help, but I do wonder how many boaters have gone passed in the last 12 months who also use that App. I have never spoken face to face with a boater who uses it yet.

Dunno mate, but thanks!

On the plus side, her regulars LIKE its quirkiness (which has always been the same). The thing that has been different this year is that passing boaters think it's permanently closed. It seems like THAT is now sorted! I personally wouldn't want to see it changed at all - it is a rare, refreshing pub for the likes of me, in that it is for adults only who like the old ways, e.g. no children in there, no food, no glass, steel nor gaming machines. Plus SOME live folk music whenever someone fancies playing.

I don't think the derelict boat outside the pub helps.

Maybe putting notices further away from the pub showing the opening times would help... I must admit that its not on our list of stopping places because of its opening times (and partially because 6X is a pretty uninspiring beer nowadays) - and if you get there and it's closed I don't think there is a notice saying when its going to be opening.

Maybe putting notices further away from the pub showing the opening times would help... I must admit that its not on our list of stopping places because of its opening times (and partially because 6X is a pretty uninspiring beer nowadays) - and if you get there and it's closed I don't think there is a notice saying when its going to be opening.

The derelict boat is called 'Lily Pascal'. This was the name of Olive's husband's mother, who used to own the pub in the early 1900's (date to be verified).

There's a huge family bond with that boat. Can't quite work out why CRT aren't bounding along the towpath with clipboards trailing, but there it is.

Yes, it is still there, as of last Sunday.

There is a 'slight' plan to have it restored, but that could take another 50 years!

Edited by Loafer

My first encounter with the Anchor was in the mid 60s, when Lily kept the pub. At the time, the Stourbridge 16 were being restored, a joint project between BW and the Staffs and Worcs Canal Society. I was a keen teenager at the time, often the local volunteers were supplemented by London IWA members John Dodwell and Graham Palmer. They used to overnight at my parents' house in nearby Blackheath. One Saturday evening we decided to enjoy a pint or two at the Anchor. Armed with a torch and an OS map we climbed in to John's Morris Traveller, he driving, I was crammed in the back while Graham struggled to map read by torchlight on remote Shropshire lanes. We got there somehow and ordered pints from Lily. She disappeared into the cellar and re-emerged with a tall enamel jug full of beer, from which we were served....truly a throwback to life much earlier, though Olive has recreated the scene since. Much wisdom and opinion has already been aired here about the future, some of which I agree with...if the Anchor is lost,,another piece of the waterway jigsaw that I have known since those days will disappear too.

• Greenie 2

A follower! We should have you stuffed!!b0220.gif

Quite a few on here would be glad to see me stuffed!

I reckon if you cant find happiness with 6X and Old Roise plus maybe a packet of ready salted crisps then I really don't want to drink with you.

Cheers

Gareth

Quite a few on here would be glad to see me stuffed!

I reckon if you cant find happiness with 6X and Old Roise plus maybe a packet of ready salted crisps then I really don't want to drink with you.

Cheers

Gareth

I can drink to that.

We've been there quite a few times and I've no recollection of the derelict boat - maybe some notice things others don't but I think the Anchor's clientele will be in the latter category.

Notices on the cut I agree with.

If you're free at Easter why not bring Rufford up the the boat gathering at Ellesmere Port?

Would love to. However we are off to the bnc over Christmas and plan to spend 6 months or so up that way. Probably be entering the bcn challenge tho.

Edited by Rufford

Here lies the problem, to survive in today's pub world you need to attract customers. Whilst a few of us here may relish a visit to a pub with atmosphere, but not knowing if it going to be open no choice in drink, no food and foul toilets, the once in a blue moon whilst passing on our boats not many people do. I certainly woudn't want it to be my local. I am afraid that the public expect a higher standard in pubs.

I'm the last person to want to see a pub 'modernised' but also I find that the state of the toilets in pubs shows what they really are like 'under the skin'.

Clean toilets absolutely. please. Men, try not to wee all over the floor (like you usually do).(Yes, girls, this is what they do in the Gents).

If you can't be bothered to have the bogs in a decent state, can you be bothered with the state of the beer?

On the other hand I have met the public who demand 'higher standards' and I'd say one man's 'higher standard' is another man's 'pot pourri' (I don't know, it's some kind of soup.)

On the upside, the bogs are a delight compared to some. Not many have swallows nesting and dipping diving in and out!

1. So instead of saying "I'm off to the little boys' room" or "I'm off to powder my nose" one can say "I'm off to observe the swallows."

2. I have made a note to say to stop and visit this pub, assuming it's still going in Summer 2017.

3. How about folk here sending Olive (and Elaine) a Christmas card and/or present? I know you have the time and can afford it :)

Has anyone stuck this up yet? Off to the beginning to read this thread now... (I often look at magazines/books backwards) (if that's good enough for the Japanese, it's good enough for me!):

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/real-heritage-pub-entry.asp?pubid=307

Great article, EF. Interesting to note that those opening hours are still true now!

1. So instead of saying "I'm off to the little boys' room" or "I'm off to powder my nose" one can say "I'm off to observe the swallows."

2. I have made a note to say to stop and visit this pub, assuming it's still going in Summer 2017.

3. How about folk here sending Olive (and Elaine) a Christmas card and/or present? I know you have the time and can afford it smile.png

I'll just DO that on behalf of the forum. Mrs Loafer and I always give them a card anyway, so an extra one is no issue. we'll sign it on behalf of CWDF and post their reaction back here.

Great article, EF. Interesting to note that those opening hours are still true now!

I'll just DO that on behalf of the forum. Mrs Loafer and I always give them a card anyway, so an extra one is no issue. we'll sign it on behalf of CWDF and post their reaction back here.

They'll probably just ignore it and leave it standing at the bar :)

Rog

Update:

For those having read this thread from the beginning:

Olive has received a very nice letter of apology from the ecanalmpapp app apply peeple and wishes me to pass on her thanks to those who actually did the business with Facebook etc. You know who you are!

Excellent pint of 6X there today, in excellent condition throughout. Unlike my condition right now.

Thank you, 'bones. Wise words, no question.

But - have you been to the Anchor? Immediately behind the TINY little serving area ('bar') is Olive's living room. It really is an 'old-style' tiny country pub and Olive wishes it to remain as it was, a hundred years ago. She's never going to have strangers running the bar when she needs a nap.

Yes our our home mooring is just down the cut.

'More fool her', I can hear you say. True, and all your points are most valid, as are many other pieces of excellent advice on this thread.

I have the greatest respect for anyone running a pub. Fools generally don't survive very long in the pub game.

Yes, she WOULD increase her customer base if she totally changed the way she has operated her pub (for YEARS).

Lots of pubs are run the same way for years ........ and then suddenly close. Not saying that the Anchor is in this category but it can and does happen (often when the land the pub stands on is worth more than the earning potential of the business as a development site).

Her opening hours are 'regular' (but different - I agree). It's difficult to explain and difficult to do anything about that. I know when she's open!!

Our boat has been moored at Shebdon for almost 12 months now. I've walked up to the pub a couple of times and found it shut when it was supposed to be open. Don't get a lot of time to visit the boat as much as I would like.

This thread was only started because an iPhone App said that she was closed, and I offered to help sort that bit out for her. She doesn't know if it's a widely used App or not - clearly SOMEONE pointed that out to her, much earlier this year. She HASN'T asked for advice on how to 'modernise'! It has been in the family for a long time.

Not offering advice, just a perspective on out-of-the-way pubs in general.

On the plus side, her regulars LIKE its quirkiness (which has always been the same). The thing that has been different this year is that passing boaters think it's permanently closed. It seems like THAT is now sorted! I personally wouldn't want to see it changed at all - it is a rare, refreshing pub for the likes of me, in that it is for adults only who like the old ways, e.g. no children in there, no food, no glass, steel nor gaming machines. Plus SOME live folk music whenever someone fancies playing.

Totally agree. There is a very quirky pub near us called the All Nations - very similar to the Anchor - no juke box, pool or food (save for a sandwich) and occasional live music. And outside toilets! I seem to recall the Anchor having two elderly gambling machines many years ago.

I can't think of a single regular who'd support change.

From experience Just because something has being run in a certain way for years and years does not necessarily mean that it is the only way. The All Nations was a family run business that had been passed down the generations but eventually succumbed due to the owners not going with the times. (poor home brewed ale in the main) The pub closed for around 18 months and was then bought by one of the regulars who had pub experience. Following for a well overdue sympathetic refit, the pub has gone from strength to strength and saved from being converted to a private house. Won CAMRA pub of the year a while back.

I'll tell her that a couple of people on the forum did what I asked in post #1, but I will refrain from passing on all the other improvement suggestions!

Fair enough, although as an ex publican I used to encourage my customers to offer suggestions. Most were unworkable, but a handful were taken on board, for example re-introducing guest real ales. My pub ended up being included in the Good Beer Guide.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

ThanI'll tell her that a couple of people on the forum did what I asked in post #1, but I will refrain from passing on all the other improvement suggestions!

Fair enough, although as an ex publican I used to encourage my customers to offer suggestions. Most were unworkable, but a handful were taken on board, for example re-introducing guest real ales. My pub ended up being included in the Good Beer Guide.

Can't argue with any of that really.

I wouldn't like to bet on how many years The Anchor will keep going, but it will be sorely missed.

ThanI'll tell her that a couple of people on the forum did what I asked in post #1, but I will refrain from passing on all the other improvement suggestions!

Can't argue with any of that really.

I wouldn't like to bet on how many years The Anchor will keep going, but it will be sorely missed.

If anyone else remembers the (sadly closed) Bird in Hand at Kent Green on the Macclesfield, that was very similar to the Anchor -- we had a couple of lovely evenings in there back in the 80s, no bar, beer (Worthington?) from cellar in jugs, wooden settles and so on. The beer was excellent, I don't remember the toilets but apparently they relied on runoff from the roof for flushing... ;-)

https://geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3AThe%20Bird%20in%20Hand,%20Kent%20Green%20-%20geograph.org.uk%20-%20603995.jpg/-/en

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/cheshire/kentgreen_birdinhand.html

Edited by IanD

If anyone else remembers the (sadly closed) Bird in Hand at Kent Green on the Macclesfield, that was very similar to the Anchor -- we had a couple of lovely evenings in there back in the 80s, no bar, beer (Worthington?) from cellar in jugs, wooden settles and so on. The beer was excellent, I don't remember the toilets but apparently they relied on runoff from the roof for flushing... ;-)

https://geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3AThe%20Bird%20in%20Hand,%20Kent%20Green%20-%20geograph.org.uk%20-%20603995.jpg/-/en

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/cheshire/kentgreen_birdinhand.html

Yes this thread reminded me of the Bird in Hand too, as well as a couple of other (non canalside) pubs of similar character, one of which I know for certain has long been a private house. The other was in South Wales and we visited in about 1976. As the elderly landlady wandered off to get the beer one of the locals leaned across and said "You'll have to give her the right money - she hasn't got the hang of this decimal stuff!".

Wadworths 6X - one of my favourites although not seen so often nowadays.

Cracking pint isnt it, and a really great pub.

Some good rescinds of mine recently held a wedding party at the pub.

I cant get enough and stop every time we pass.

Daniel

Apparently, the left-hand room was modernised in the sixties and reflects the tastes of the time (agents' blurb). Sounds disgusting: that was the period when breweries were ripping out irreplaceable fittings features, and every handpull in sight, and replacing them with Formica and wall-to-wall keg beer.

Not an opinion of this pub in particular (it is still numbered among the majority of pubs in this country, ie those which I have never visited) but I'll not be going there on the off-chance of getting a poor pint of an unexceptional southern ale I don't especially like.