The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

Loafer, may I refer to you as such?

I wrote admitting my virginity (banter that is) before reading all the thread. I now see you may not want to organise a banter. This is sad.

If you change your mind, that would be good.

Regarding bad posts, I have either missed them or I thought they were not offensive. If they have been judged as offensive, then so be it. And as you say it's not our forum.

Live and let. Live.

Post that you are happy to arrange a banter. There's a good chap.

Loafer, may I refer to you as such?

Post that you are happy to arrange a banter. There's a good chap.

You can refer to me as anything you like, old chap! (Although I'm not fond of 'sexist', unless it means that I practise it a lot.)

The aforementioned banter could still happen even if I don't arrange it personally. I am naturally cautious about meeting a lot of people who I don't know, especially if there's a risk that just one of them might want to thump me, or abuse me in person. I don't, and can't, do thumping or confrontation.

I am aware that one or two fluffies might want to thump me or take me to task, which is why I'm not keen to present myself to them in person!

'I'd rather form a discussion group than have a fight', as Charlie Brown once said.

I could still organise a banter, (I'm a virgin too) but might not be there myself. I gather that 'banters' are normally attended by those who know each other, or at least hold similar opinions. Some of mine are not popular here, although they are elsewhere.

Timid, me, really.ninja.gif

I'll have none of it. If someone wants to offer violence at a social gathering then more fool them.

When is everyone thinking of this banter?

It's not just violence, I doubt that would really happen. It's the views and opinions expressed in the other (Ethnic) thread. I'd still be OF those opinions, and they have been deemed to be unacceptable on the forum.

THAT's the main problem I have with presenting myself to a bunch of possibly well-meaning boozers like myself, but just one of them could get my back up again!

It seems to be evolving for around Easter. Forgot that bit.

I've known the Anchor since the mid 60s and had many a great night in there enjoying the beer and playing music, though it's been a while since I was there. I'm sorry to hear that it is struggling at times, though as something of a "time warp" pub ( a reason I like it ) in a rural location I'm hardly surprised. I'm sure that a banter would help the coffers but isn't this a short term fix...the boats depart, situation reverts to normal....I don't know what the answer is, I'd personally hate to see the place modernised ( if indeed it could be ). The long case clock in the bar carries some fine painting on the dial and such work may be a possible source of inspiration for the origins of canal boat painting but that's another story....

Dave

For what it is worth, I read the "other " thread as it was developing and I (a female) saw absolutely nothing which offended me. I have no idea why Loafer and Nicknorman were reported but I assume it was to do with their statements why females might not make good pilots and I thought their arguments were well reasoned and did not contain anything which could be interpreted as anti female.

I do hope that both continue to frequent the forum .

haggis

• Greenie 1

I've known the Anchor since the mid 60s and had many a great night in there enjoying the beer and playing music, though it's been a while since I was there. I'm sorry to hear that it is struggling at times, though as something of a "time warp" pub ( a reason I like it ) in a rural location I'm hardly surprised. I'm sure that a banter would help the coffers but isn't this a short term fix...the boats depart, situation reverts to normal....I don't know what the answer is, I'd personally hate to see the place modernised ( if indeed it could be ). The long case clock in the bar carries some fine painting on the dial and such work may be a possible source of inspiration for the origins of canal boat painting but that's another story....

Dave

The answer is, I suspect, for the pub to revert to opening during all normal pub opening hours. Closing when it's quiet teaches the public they can't rely on it being open when they expect a pub to be open, so they go somewhere else.

Restricted opening hours in winter can hardly be helping the situation can it?

• Greenie 1

The answer is, I suspect, for the pub to revert to opening during all normal pub opening hours. Closing when it's quiet teaches the public they can't rely on it being open when they expect a pub to be open, so they go somewhere else.

Couldn't have put that better myself,just walked round to the Plough at Simpson (backs onto canal) closed.

Ended in Wetherspoons and there is probably the reason why,decent food,cheap beer,standing room only

Mike, I agree. I don't plan ahead when I can escape for a couple. More often than not it unexpected, on the spur of the moment. I wouldn't normally revisit a pub that was closed at such a time.

Increase sales by regular opening hours and this would support staff. Speculate to accumulate. Difficult if you are clocking on abit in age.

For what it is worth, I read the "other " thread as it was developing and I (a female) saw absolutely nothing which offended me. I have no idea why Loafer and Nicknorman were reported but I assume it was to do with their statements why females might not make good pilots and I thought their arguments were well reasoned and did not contain anything which could be interpreted as anti female.

I do hope that both continue to frequent the forum .

haggis

That's really nice to know. Thank you, haggis. At this rate I'll probly stick around. But I won't get involved in any more PC arse! I'll just READ. xxx

Mike, et al, she CAN'T open full hours. She has to go and lie down a lot!

It's her HOME, with a bar that she will NOT modernise. Good on her, I say.

Increase sales by regular opening hours and this would support staff. Speculate to accumulate. Difficult if you are clocking on abit in age.

She just wants the custom of those who appreciate her kind of pub. Some of them have not reappeared, because they thought it was closed.

i'm simply trying to get the message out that she's not 'closed', as per the canal iOS app.

One kind chap, on here, got that message to the app developer, via Facebook, and it may now get sorted. I'm about to retrace the thread and see who it was, and give him a greenie.

Job's done!

The rest of this is about a possible banter, just for those who like proper pubs. No kids, No frills. Just beer, cider and some wine. And a fruit-based drink for the ladies OOOOWWWWWW

I have had this response from sharing it on Facebook

"Mike Kelly I am very sorry about this - this was reported to us some time back and we did correct the database - the current Android app does show the Anchor as open and we emailed the pub some weeks ago to say so but haven't had a reply. Unfortunately the iOS app has not been updated due to the untimely death of our Apple developer - I am on the case for this but can only apologise again for the error."

That was the one dc. Sorry. Greenie awarded!

Edited by Loafer

Oops I'm so sorry.

The posts weren't on this thread. It was the CRT vs Ethnic thread. It oozed over to this one somehow, to do with me no longer wanting to organise the banter.

Sorry guys, a bit misleading - I've only just woken up!

This one: This is an appalling attitude by CRT to ethnic people

Now locked.

??????????????

Sorry to be harsh, but unreliable opening hours will kill a pub, it's not just the individual who's let down that may not go back, it's all the folk they mention it too as well, and no amount of tradition or affection for the licensee will compensate for that. If pleasant, old fashioned and quirky with limited varieties of beer and no food doesn't bring in enough punters, it's only a matter of time, perhaps artificially extended in this case by the place being freehold, owned and paid for rather than having to find £40k or £50k a year rent.

I think blaming declining trade on one web App is perhaps denying the obvious. Meanwhile it pops up alive and well on a lot of caravan and camping websites

If someone wanted to offer practical help in getting them a proper web presence like an official facebook page that might help. The current one is unofficial, says nothing about the premises and the website link goes to a different Anchor Inn in Sussex ...

Sorry to be harsh, but unreliable opening hours will kill a pub, it's not just the individual who's let down that may not go back, it's all the folk they mention it too as well, and no amount of tradition or affection for the licensee will compensate for that. If pleasant, old fashioned and quirky with limited varieties of beer and no food doesn't bring in enough punters, it's only a matter of time, perhaps artificially extended in this case by the place being freehold, owned and paid for rather than having to find £40k or £50k a year rent.

I think blaming declining trade on one web App is perhaps denying the obvious. Meanwhile it pops up alive and well on a lot of caravan and camping websites

If someone wanted to offer practical help in getting them a proper web presence like an official facebook page that might help. The current one is unofficial, says nothing about the premises and the website link goes to a different Anchor Inn in Sussex ...

Funny you should say that. Elaine (the daughter) is presently trying to develop a website for the pub, via a knowledgeable friend.

Hope it appears - I'll alert the forum if it does.

I wish them well, but the type of drinkers who seem to congregate here typically requiring large selections of real ale, no music and who will turn up once a year for one night are not the people they want. They need a significant core of regular locals who visit most days and another 'thing' to tempt in others, be that a huge range of spirits on the back bar or maybe simple food like superb quality butchers sausages or a massive cheeseboard selection. Any catering endeavour will however require investment in an up-to-code kitchen, and it's a fact that folk judge premises by the state of the toilets.

I wish them well, but the type of drinkers who seem to congregate here typically requiring large selections of real ale, no music and who will turn up once a year for one night are not the people they want.

But the idea of a 'banter' there is popular.

Edited by Loafer

I wish them well, but the type of drinkers who seem to congregate here typically requiring large selections of real ale, no music and who will turn up once a year for one night are not the people they want. They need a significant core of regular locals who visit most days and another 'thing' to tempt in others, be that a huge range of spirits on the back bar or maybe simple food like superb quality butchers sausages or a massive cheeseboard selection. Any catering endeavour will however require investment in an up-to-code kitchen, and it's a fact that folk judge premises by the state of the toilets.

I think people who might visit the Anchor are more likely to judge premises by the state of the beer, not the state of the toilets. I certainly did...

I think people who might visit the Anchor are more likely to judge premises by the state of the beer, not the state of the toilets. I certainly did...

Me too, and I've had a couple of decidedly iffy pints in there on a summer's afternoon. Deeply disappointing.

On the upside, the bogs are a delight compared to some. Not many have swallows nesting and dipping diving in and out!

Me too, and I've had a couple of decidedly iffy pints in there on a summer's afternoon. Deeply disappointing.

On the upside, the bogs are a delight compared to some. Not many have swallows nesting and dipping diving in and out!

You're just too fussy Mike! If you like swallows pooing on yer 'ed in a pub bog while you have a wee, how can you have the cheek to ask for good beer too?

There must be literally TENS of people who'd DIE for some swallows in their pub bog!

Edited by Loafer