The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

My old Dad used to say, you can always judge how clean a pub and it's beer pipes are by the toilets.

Clean toilets are more important to the ladies, oh! And those of us men who have to do a sit down jobbie.

I also insist of a good pint of ale. Hate the first one out. I ask if it's the first one, is it's an affirmative, then I have something else.

My old Dad used to always pull half a pint at the beginning of the section. To clear the stake ale from the pipe. Mind, it used to go into the mild barrel. No waste. Made the mild better.

She now has her opening hours next to the closed sign on the door.

Some progress, at least!

Is very sad, the way old peeps cannot 'get' the way the youngers think.

She needs to get some staff in, if she want's to keep the business running. But I doubt she gives a stuff now, so the place will go to the wall now. Never mind owning the place outright, soon enough she won't even make enough profit to pay the business rates.

V sad, and par for the course.

I think people who might visit the Anchor are more likely to judge premises by the state of the beer, not the state of the toilets. I certainly did...

The beer is obviously important, but in my experience the bogs come a close second. Suffice to say we are closing our bar for a week in the early new year primarily to refurb the OK-but-not-great toilets.

Hey Loafer

Firstly we love the Anchor and make a point of stopping there when we pass. My worries about a banter there is space inside the pub. I'm sure you'd get a good uptake, but every time we've been there as a couple we've had to go outside as there's been no room indoors. For this reason I think Easter would be a mistake - it's more likely to be either very cold or very wet that time of year. Sometime in August would be safer, but even then the English weather can throw you a curved ball! Also the service is quite slow, I really can't imagine them coping with an influx of punters.

Going back to you attending - I've been to a lot of banters and never seen anyone laid into because of their posts on the forum and there have been some very forceful forum characters present at banters I've attended. It is true that there is a core group who jump at the chance of a banter and therefore get to know each other well, so it is probably daunting for banter virgins but we always post on banter threads that we welcome newbies - we were all there once and have formed some great friendships by meeting forum members in person. Believe me it's a very different world when you're face to face with the body language, facial expressions and tone of voice which avoid so many of the misunderstandings that happen on here.

Glad to hear you're sticking around :)

Hey Loafer

Firstly we love the Anchor and make a point of stopping there when we pass. My worries about a banter there is space inside the pub. I'm sure you'd get a good uptake, but every time we've been there as a couple we've had to go outside as there's been no room indoors. For this reason I think Easter would be a mistake - it's more likely to be either very cold or very wet that time of year. Sometime in August would be safer, but even then the English weather can throw you a curved ball! Also the service is quite slow, I really can't imagine them coping with an influx of punters.

Going back to you attending - I've been to a lot of banters and never seen anyone laid into because of their posts on the forum and there have been some very forceful forum characters present at banters I've attended. It is true that there is a core group who jump at the chance of a banter and therefore get to know each other well, so it is probably daunting for banter virgins but we always post on banter threads that we welcome newbies - we were all there once and have formed some great friendships by meeting forum members in person. Believe me it's a very different world when you're face to face with the body language, facial expressions and tone of voice which avoid so many of the misunderstandings that happen on here.

Glad to hear you're sticking around smile.png

Thank you Ange. You are spot on about the small size of the pub.

Just one last time:

I'll ask Olive if she's interested.

I won't even BE there from late March to mid November next year. I'm a CC and will be on the Thames, mostly.

I'm not even there now.

Therefore the chances of me organising and actually attending a banter there are like the Chance Brothers, 'Fat' and 'Slim'.

However, I'll still ask Olive if she's interested, and post back here when I find out. Hopefully in a new thread, just about a possible banter there.

Thank you for the help with the iOS App, especially ditchcrawler, which was all I asked for in post #1.

DHutch, feel free to close this now.

I've only just been made aware of this thread so just to set the record straight, we did know about the error and corrected the database last August as well as releasing the corrected version of the Android app. However, the problem was the Apple iOS version which was delayed due to the untimely death of the young man who helped us with development as well as personal long-term illness.. This was somewhat traumatic for everyone concerned and it has taken his small company some time to get a suitable replacement as he was also a director of their company. This has now been sorted and the update of the app is in preparation for release to Apple asap.

In the meantime we did email an apology to the pub when they first contacted us in October explaining the delay and have also now sent a formal letter of apology as well as posting a public apology on the home page of our web site.

We do strive to make corrections as soon as we hear about them but we (I) are a very small company trying to do a reasonable job but this case circumstances conspired against us.

While I understand people seeming to recommend legal action can I just say that this has also been extremely distressing for us as well and while I fully sympathise and apologise again to Olive, I was seriously thinking of closing down our company..... many people use the apps successfully and seem to like them, so not sure at the moment.

Kind regards

Mike Kellt

• Greenie 2

I've only just been made aware of this thread so just to set the record straight, we did know about the error and corrected the database last August as well as releasing the corrected version of the Android app. However, the problem was the Apple iOS version which was delayed due to the untimely death of the young man who helped us with development as well as personal long-term illness.. This was somewhat traumatic for everyone concerned and it has taken his small company some time to get a suitable replacement as he was also a director of their company. This has now been sorted and the update of the app is in preparation for release to Apple asap.

In the meantime we did email an apology to the pub when they first contacted us in October explaining the delay and have also now sent a formal letter of apology as well as posting a public apology on the home page of our web site.

We do strive to make corrections as soon as we hear about them but we (I) are a very small company trying to do a reasonable job but this case circumstances conspired against us.

While I understand people seeming to recommend legal action can I just say that this has also been extremely distressing for us as well and while I fully sympathise and apologise again to Olive, I was seriously thinking of closing down our company..... many people use the apps successfully and seem to like them, so not sure at the moment.

Kind regards

Mike Kellt

Thank you for your words. I am terribly sorry to hear of your loss, as will both Olive and Elaine be. Neither of them, nor I, have ever wished to take legal action and never even considered it. It was an unfortunate oversight, which they simply wanted to correct.

Hopefully she will have received your letter by then, but this weekend I'll show her your post in any case.

Many thanks for your post and best wishes for the future.

Just one last time:

I won't even BE there from late March to mid November next year. I'm a CC and will be on the Thames, mostly.

I'm not even there now.

Therefore the chances of me organising and actually attending a banter there are like the Chance Brothers, 'Fat' and 'Slim'.

However, I'll still ask Olive if she's interested, and post back here when I find out. Hopefully in a new thread, just about a possible banter there.

Thank you for the help with the iOS App, especially ditchcrawler, which was all I asked for in post #1.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Just one last time:

I'm not even there now.

Apologies, I've obviously offended. I was just trying to be helpful but didn't read all the posts which is my bad.

Apologies, I've obviously offended. I was just trying to be helpful but didn't read all the posts which is my bad.

WHOOOO NO!

It wasn't that clear. I was right 'with you' on the size of the pub!

The rest of the 'one more time' message was to those who keep trying to get me to organise a banter which I won't be there for!

You have never offended me, Ange.

Edited by Loafer

WHOOOO NO!

It wasn't that clear. I was right 'with you' on the size of the pub!

The rest of the 'one more time' message was to those who keep trying to get me to organise a banter which I won't be there for!

You have never offended me, Ange.

A classic example of internet misunderstanding! All is good in that case :)

When I half pleaded with you to organise a banter I did not realise you weren't going to attend.

I honestly thought that you were nearby and wanted a banter to support your local.

Martyn

No worries Nightwatch. I thought that was the case.

At first, someone's suggestion that I organise a banter wasn't such a bad idea. What was difficult is organising it for a sensible time of year - when I'm NEVER here. I only 'lurk' a bit in the winter, being reasonably obedient, and sidle up and down the Shroppie between 2 'limits' about 20 miles apart. Also I STILL don't know if Olive would welcome it.

We leave around end March, or even earlier next year, 'cos we're getting a gold license and spending more time on the Thames. It'll be another 600-mile year for us.

Best regards.

Edit to replace 'this' with 'next' year.

Edited by Loafer

She used to serve Marston's Pedigree too - but her customer base wasn't big enough to support two different beers. She used to have to throw a lot away. She chose to keep the 6X going because it was the more popular of the two.

She also keeps a mean boxed cider, but it looks too much like cloudy wee-wee for me to drink it!

I haven't read the whole thread, but this just suggests that the pub is no longer viable. Sad, yes, but no less true for all that. I'm very doubtful that a mistake in an obscure app accounts all by itself for the fall-off in trade.

No worries Nightwatch. I thought that was the case.

At first, someone's suggestion that I organise a banter wasn't such a bad idea. What was difficult is organising it for a sensible time of year - when I'm NEVER here. I only 'lurk' a bit in the winter, being reasonably obedient, and sidle up and down the Shroppie between 2 'limits' about 20 miles apart. Also I STILL don't know if Olive would welcome it.

We leave around end March, or even earlier this year, 'cos we're getting a gold license and spending more time on the Thames. It'll be another 600-mile year for us.

Best regards.

Let me know your boat name and we'll look out for you.

I have noticed that there's a stoppage between us and the pub, so we unable to be in the area until later in March.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this just suggests that the pub is no longer viable. Sad, yes, but no less true for all that. I'm very doubtful that a mistake in an obscure app accounts all by itself for the fall-off in trade.

OK, just ONCE more then:

I asked on behalf of Olive if you guys could spread the word, that The Anchor Inn is OPEN*, not CLOSED.

Ditchcrawler and others have been successful in doing that. That is all, end of broadcast.

*Open SOMETIMES!

Let me know your boat name and we'll look out for you.

I have noticed that there's a stoppage between us and the pub, so we unable to be in the area until later in March.

We'll probably pass en route!

Do they have Wifi in the Anchor?

Now look what you made me do!

I need a new cuppa tea now!

From a professional perspective (Ive run a pub in the past and still operate an outside bar business) the Anchor is a difficult pub to run. For starters it is in the middle of no where and difficult to find by road.

A few thoughts...

Real ale is one of those products that needs to be sold ideally within 3 days, not exactly great for a pub that has intermittent opening times.

A pub needs to be open during the times which most people would expect a pub to be open - that means at least every evening from around 6pm onwards.

Customers quickly lose interest in pubs that have intermittent opening times

The Anchor might benefit from a community led arrangement (volunteer bar staff that sort of thing) - saved many a rural pub in the past.

The real ale provision might benefit from a 'blanket pressure' dispense system. Most beers loose condition well before they go off .

From a professional perspective (Ive run a pub in the past and still operate an outside bar business) the Anchor is a difficult pub to run. For starters it is in the middle of no where and difficult to find by road.

A few thoughts...

Real ale is one of those products that needs to be sold ideally within 3 days, not exactly great for a pub that has intermittent opening times.

A pub needs to be open during the times which most people would expect a pub to be open - that means at least every evening from around 6pm onwards.

Customers quickly lose interest in pubs that have intermittent opening times

The Anchor might benefit from a community led arrangement (volunteer bar staff that sort of thing) - saved many a rural pub in the past.

The real ale provision might benefit from a 'blanket pressure' dispense system. Most beers loose condition well before they go off .

Thank you, 'bones. Wise words, no question.

But - have you been to the Anchor? Immediately behind the TINY little serving area ('bar') is Olive's living room. It really is an 'old-style' tiny country pub and Olive wishes it to remain as it was, a hundred years ago. She's never going to have strangers running the bar when she needs a nap.

'More fool her', I can hear you say. True, and all your points are most valid, as are many other pieces of excellent advice on this thread.

Yes, she WOULD increase her customer base if she totally changed the way she has operated her pub (for YEARS).

Her opening hours are 'regular' (but different - I agree). It's difficult to explain and difficult to do anything about that. I know when she's open!!

This thread was only started because an iPhone App said that she was closed, and I offered to help sort that bit out for her. She doesn't know if it's a widely used App or not - clearly SOMEONE pointed that out to her, much earlier this year. She HASN'T asked for advice on how to 'modernise'! It has been in the family for a long time.

On the plus side, her regulars LIKE its quirkiness (which has always been the same). The thing that has been different this year is that passing boaters think it's permanently closed. It seems like THAT is now sorted! I personally wouldn't want to see it changed at all - it is a rare, refreshing pub for the likes of me, in that it is for adults only who like the old ways, e.g. no children in there, no food, no glass, steel nor gaming machines. Plus SOME live folk music whenever someone fancies playing.

I can't think of a single regular who'd support change.

I'll tell her that a couple of people on the forum did what I asked in post #1, but I will refrain from passing on all the other improvement suggestions!

i would love this pub as my local……as would my other half…..im afraid our cruising pattern hasn't taken us past for the last few years….something which may need to be fixed….and I agree nothing needs to change…..I love it as it is….long may it continue…..everything is perfect….i even like the toilets!

Cheers

Gareth

This thread was only started because an iPhone App said that she was closed, and I offered to help sort that bit out for her. She doesn't know if it's a widely used App or not - clearly SOMEONE pointed that out to her, much earlier this year. She HASN'T asked for advice on how to 'modernise'! It has been in the family for a long time.

I know I helped to spread the word its open and hopefully that will help, but I do wonder how many boaters have gone passed in the last 12 months who also use that App. I have never spoken face to face with a boater who uses it yet.