Trading, running a business on the cut!

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Have been thinking next year i might sack work off, pick up a little 20ft to tow around behind me, in the 20ft would be all my coffee roasting gear, would sell as i go if anyone wants to stop me and buy, plus have an online presence so would stop at towns and use post offices to send beans out...

The logistics and functionality of the boat being towed i have worked out in my head, only thing i have no idea on is how you go about registering as a floating business, what hoops do you have to jump through, what does it cost, do i need to licence the boat being towed (will have no engine at all)....

Anyone point me in the right direction, or have any experience in this area?

Thanks

Don't forget Environmental Health, keeping them happy is both essential and a proper pain.

The fact that most of the rules and regs are written for street traders does you no favours.

Because you don't fit in their little boxes doesn't mean you escape.

http://www.streetfood.org.uk/questions-answered.html

Plus it seems that you have register for every place you stop.

I don't know of any other roving canal traders doing this, if you do, best ask them.

Best of luck ....... I like Cortado.

Dave if you are anywhere near Braunston, pop into the CRT office, there was a lovely young lady based there a couple of years ago who I found most helpful. Sorry I don't remember her name, will see if I can find any of her correspondence later.

Off the top of my head, you'll need a traders license and the proper insurance - no idea about the unpowered "butty"

Good luck

Cafe Bombon is my favourite.

Cafe Bombon was made popular in Valencia, Spain, and spread gradually to the rest of the country. It might have been re-created and modified to suit European tastebuds as in many parts of Asia such as Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore the same recipe for coffee which is called "Kopi Susu Panas" (Malaysia) or "Kafe Ron" (Thailand) has already been around for decades and is very popular in "mamak" stalls or "kopitiams" in Malaysia. A café bombón, however uses espressoserved with sweetened condensed milk in a 1:1 ratio whereas the Asian version uses ground coffee and sweetened condensed milk at the same ratio. For café bombón, the condensed milk is added to the espresso. For visual effect, a glass is used, and the condensed milk is added slowly to sink underneath the coffee and create two separate bands of contrasting colour - though these layers are customarily stirred together before consumption. Some establishments merely serve an espresso with a sachet of condensed milk for patrons to make themselves.

Plus it seems that you have register for every place you stop.

I don't know of any other roving canal traders doing this, if you do, best ask them.

Earlier this year there was a very smart and posh-looking coffee boat moored by the bridge at Aynho every time I was there. Seemed to have very few customers, although appeances can be deceptive.

Might be an idea to track him down and either have a chat, or hang about nearby for a day and note how much coffee he sells before you set up on your own account.

ETA, Forgot, my point was that maybe he stayed there as long as he could as registering each trading stop location must be a right royal PITA.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Cafe Bombon is my favourite.

Cafe Bombon was made popular in Valencia, Spain, and spread gradually to the rest of the country. It might have been re-created and modified to suit European tastebuds as in many parts of Asia such as Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore the same recipe for coffee which is called "Kopi Susu Panas" (Malaysia) or "Kafe Ron" (Thailand) has already been around for decades and is very popular in "mamak" stalls or "kopitiams" in Malaysia. A café bombón, however uses espressoserved with sweetened condensed milk in a 1:1 ratio whereas the Asian version uses ground coffee and sweetened condensed milk at the same ratio. For café bombón, the condensed milk is added to the espresso. For visual effect, a glass is used, and the condensed milk is added slowly to sink underneath the coffee and create two separate bands of contrasting colour - though these layers are customarily stirred together before consumption. Some establishments merely serve an espresso with a sachet of condensed milk for patrons to make themselves.

This is so wrong on every level!

Will you be doing it for fun, ir to make money?

Its all about the money, and passion.

Earlier this year there was a very smart and posh-looking coffee boat moored by the bridge at Aynho every time I was there. Seemed to have very few customers, although appeances can be deceptive.

Might be an idea to track him down and either have a chat, or hang about nearby for a day and note how much coffee he sells before you set up on your own account.

ETA, Forgot, my point was that maybe he stayed there as long as he could as registering each trading stop location must be a right royal PITA.

Not interested in serving actual coffee drinks, just roasting coffee beans and selling them either whole bean or pre ground.

Ahh that would be good, need to go ikea this weekend so could kill two birds with one stone!

Tillergirl of this parish sells beanies coffee maybe you could speak to her, shes just done the tipton floating market so is around brum??

Tillergirl of this parish sells beanies coffee maybe you could speak to her, shes just done the tipton floating market so is around brum??

Ah, we saw Tillergirls boat at Tipton but didn't realise she was a forumite. Another opportunity missed. I think we need to get those boat stickers so we can recognise one another.

haggis

Ah, we saw Tillergirls boat at Tipton but didn't realise she was a forumite. Another opportunity missed. I think we need to get those boat stickers so we can recognise one another.

haggis

There was talk of forum boat stickers about 6 years ago, I think it fizzled out? I maintain they're a brilliant idea.

Edited by Heffalump

Saw him at Cropredy about 6 weeks ago and he was on his way to Stourport to take up a permanent trade mooring

There was talk of forum boat stickers about 6 years ago, I think it fizzled out? I maintain they're a brilliant idea.

I think they are brilliant too. As we live in Scotland we don't get the chance to go to banters and the only time we meet other forumites is when we are boating but I am sure we often pass one another without either side recognising the other. It has been good when we have met up with folk from here. A great bunch :-)

haggis

If you are going to get people actually to your boat to sell em stuff I think you would perhaps need a bit more range than one type of product.

Plus would you not like to sell them a hot coffee then the bag of coffee?

I mused that gathering free fruit off the cut and making into products could be a little sideline. Having a boat free's up one side of the canal that walkers can't reach plus my boat pole can gather apples etc that other can't pick.

Edited by mark99

"Kopi Susu Panas" (Malaysia) or "Kafe Ron" (Thailand) has already been around for decades . . .

That brings back vivid memories. I spent some months cycling around the backroads of SE Asia back in the late 70’s, and there was nothing better than starting the morning with Kopi Susu Panas accompanied by the splendid Kretek cigarettes. They went wonderfully together.

[sorry Dave, but at least under those conditions, it was so right!]

If you are going to get people actually to your boat to sell em stuff I think you would perhaps need a bit more range than one type of product.

The range would be different types of beans, plus brewing items, serving hot coffee is a possibility as i have the gear but you then fall into a different world in terms of food preparation.

Roasting coffee does not come under such strict guidelines.

The range would be different types of beans, plus brewing items, serving hot coffee is a possibility as i have the gear but you then fall into a different world in terms of food preparation.

Roasting coffee does not come under such strict guidelines.

as I understand it as long as you don't offer milk with the coffee you will be fine.

There is at least one ice cream boat I have seen in different locations, no idea though whether there are registered everywhere they stop. They were below Haywood Lock last weekend.

You dont have to register with environmental health everywhere you go - just at your "main" base. For our business we got our five stars from Birmingham for our home, Stafford gave us the same for the boar when it was based at Calf Heath and we are now registered with Walsall where we live and moor. Selling coffee beans would be very low risk and they may take some time to come and inspect you.

As for registering with CRT we use the local business manager (Peter Moor for the midlands). He approved the application and authorises the issuing of a roving traders license which costs a bit more then a private one - about £60 extra for a motor. The butty comes in with a 50% discount if its unpowered.

Edited by Capt Ahab

Agreed. A few weeks ago I rolled up at Skipton Farmers Market on the canalside at the junction. There was a coffee boat moored there and I was about to ask for cup when I realised they only sold beans and ground coffee. So it was an insipid tea-bag-in-lukewarm-water-in-a-polystyrene-cup from one of the other stallholders instead.

• 2 weeks later...