Jet Powered Narrowboat.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Would that not be the most awesome thing ever....

Anyone think I should try it? tongue.png

(Not sure how serious i'm being!) - would get some good looks smile.png

No because it is just plain silly.

You would be attempting to run modern propulsion on a 200 year old system.

It's already been done and documented with photos.

Although of course I can't now trace any of the details.

Where - The River Severn

When - Post Nationalisation

Why - Engine breakdown with the Severn Bore imminent.

Without finding the document I'm having to rely on my fuzzy memory. I remember a wooden hulled motor (ex guccc star class Ricky) used on maintenance on The Severn. My memory says Venus, but another part of my memory says Venus wasn't wood but a composite Northwich. Perhaps it was The Harland and Wolff prototype Star Class motor which was wooden and whose name also escapes me.

With a defunct engine they were fearful she wouldn't ride out The Bore and of course couldn't move her to safety (Gloucester?) So they dropped massive diesel water pumps into the hold, tied the inlet pipes somewhere deep near the front end and aimed the outlet pipes along the gunnels and out the back.

It would appear it did the trick and she became the first ever jet propelled narrow boat.

I'm sure one of the Gurus will be able to correct all of my "I think" and "I seem to remember" statements.

Would that not be the most awesome thing ever....

Anyone think I should try it? tongue.png

(Not sure how serious i'm being!) - would get some good looks smile.png

I can see no reason apart from engine noise, reduction gear sequel and fuel economy why one could not use a turbojet engine to mechanically drive a narrowboat via a very large gear reduction or the do it electrically via a generator that is jet driven. However that would probably limit you to the hull design speed.

I suspect you mean bolt a turbo-jet on the back and use the reaction to propel the boat. I agree with the others, that seems less practical.

I think you should do it. Best place to get clean air into the engine would be on the roof, and probably towards the rear of the cabin to give the least disturbance to the hull

Stand at the tiller and open the throttle wide

Richard

• Greenie 1

If you use a model aeroplane gas turbine, you can expect to get about 30lb of thrust. You might want to mount it on the tiller to get vectored thrust. You certainly don't want to be behind it when it is in operation. These engines do have a tendency to catch fire and are usually operated with fire extinguishers close to hand. They can be quite dangerous if not operated correctly. Prices start at a couple of grand plus the control and starting systems.

T C

It's already been done and documented with photos.

Although of course I can't now trace any of the details.

Where - The River Severn

When - Post Nationalisation

Why - Engine breakdown with the Severn Bore imminent.

Without finding the document I'm having to rely on my fuzzy memory. I remember a wooden hulled motor (ex guccc star class Ricky) used on maintenance on The Severn. My memory says Venus, but another part of my memory says Venus wasn't wood but a composite Northwich. Perhaps it was The Harland and Wolff prototype Star Class motor which was wooden and whose name also escapes me.

With a defunct engine they were fearful she wouldn't ride out The Bore and of course couldn't move her to safety (Gloucester?) So they dropped massive diesel water pumps into the hold, tied the inlet pipes somewhere deep near the front end and aimed the outlet pipes along the gunnels and out the back.

It would appear it did the trick and she became the first ever jet propelled narrow boat.

I'm sure one of the Gurus will be able to correct all of my "I think" and "I seem to remember" statements.

I've seen them use that method to move the fireboat round Gloucester Docks

Probably should have put this in the virtual pub section!

Part of my amusement would be that as a narrowboat driven by an outboard we often have people shouting slow down before we get to them, judging the speed by the engine noise. The look on their face when they see the jet engine would be priceless.

I can see no reason apart from engine noise, reduction gear sequel and fuel economy why one could not use a turbojet engine to mechanically drive a narrowboat via a very large gear reduction or the do it electrically via a generator that is jet driven. However that would probably limit you to the hull design speed.

I suspect you mean bolt a turbo-jet on the back and use the reaction to propel the boat. I agree with the others, that seems less practical.

An interesting point - there was a car I saw which I was pretty impressed with that used a jet engine to drive a generator to drive the electric wheels.

Going back to the jet ski method, would a 10hp diesel driven water pump provide the same amount of thrust as a 10hp engine?

Met your grandad the other day, lovely chap. Did he tell you?

Ahh it was you! Yes he did, though I was wondering how two strangers meeting could have started talking about me! I was quite surprised!

I was also confused when I saw your boat go past and you were not driving it - but now I know you have sold it.

One of the Wren Turbines produces about 7 shaft horse power for driving turbo prop model aircraft, I think that 10k rpm should be OK for a big cleaver prop. Otherwise there must be something that could be made from the starter or aux turbines from many modern jet planes.

I suspect that the smell of singed vegetation wouldn't appeal to many though. not the rather limited fuel economy.

BUT a 70ft boat up on the plane crossing the channel at 50mph could save on ferry costs.