Ancient woods at Hopwas under threat to turn into a Quarry

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Although the actual workings will be several hundred yards from the canal, the dust and noise will undoubtedly have a direct impact on the village and waterway.

I was going to post this yesterday but couldn't get the map off the woodland trust site to post.

Sorry guys about the link- not sure what happened- cheers By'eck for adding a link that works

The woods are lovely and it seems nowadays we can easily desecrate the environment for our benefit.

Locally to where I live-The recent housing development approvals around Burton on Trent, Branston, Tatenhill and Stretton which will destroy green fields, woodland and farmland have all been massively opposed, but approval given; It seems nowadays approval is almost guaranteed before it's even requested

A guy in our village has just chopped 9 protected trees down and replaced them with a brick wall.

Edited by Woodstock

Irreplaceable ancient woodland.

Unless you are willing to wait another five hundred years or more of course!

From the bit on TV the section was actually burn out that they plan to dig. How true that is I don't know, but you cant see many 500 year old trees from the canal, just 20 to 30 year old saplings

From the bit on TV the section was actually burn out that they plan to dig. How true that is I don't know, but you cant see many 500 year old trees from the canal, just 20 to 30 year old saplings

The definition of ancient woodland is simply, continous woodland use since 1600

The whole area could have been clearfelled and replanted with conifers and it would still be considered ancient

In fact the reason most old woodland still exists is because it had a value and was continually worked very hard

Which is why you often won't find 500 year old trees because they will have been felled well before they got to that age

Total bl**dy madness. I actually spent last night moored up in Hopwas, one of my regular stops on my way back to Alvecote. I reckon the canal through the woods there is as naturally beautiful as anywhere else that I've traveled through on the system.

Signed.

There are plans to destroy the ancient woodlands at Hopwas (Coventry Canal) to turn it into a Quarry

<<

No there aren't. There is a draft Minerals Local Plan out for consultation, and there is no planning application to do anything at all.

(The land is owned by Tarmac and the MoD.) There's little point ins petitioning against something that doesn't exist.

Time would be better spent writing to Staffordshire County Council - Mat[dot]griffin[at]staffordshire.gov.uk - the materials planning policy team leader. I don't suppose for a moment he is unaware of the situation.

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Huge-quarry-plans-ancient-woods/story-23374127-detail/story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-29766824

What bit are you arguing?

i apologise if my wording isn't correct but, At the end of the day extraction of sand and gravel will destroy the woodlands and impact the area. I for one care about this and have signed the petition and have written to Staffs county council. It saddens me that whilst we have beautiful areas of countryside, there seems less and less will to protect it for future generations

Edited by Woodstock

Hopwas wood was mentioned in the Doomsday book so is well over 1000 years old. The things you can't see are more important than the trees in these ancient ecosystems. The soil ecology, the fungi and ground flora the microhabitats of insects and the birds. You can chop the trees down and they will regrow but you can't replace the soil once it is disturbed. This is why offsetting is such a total waste of time.