Ancient woods at Hopwas under threat to turn into a Quarry

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Because as I have said before mate, an ancient woodland is a massively complex Web of species and habitats, some of those species only exist in this habitat type

New woodlands are great and yes act as a short term carbon sink but in no way compare with an ancient woodland for habitat value

I am no tree hugger and like I said before, think we should exploit these areas in a sustainable way but digging them up is not sustainable

And I agree with you I do like woodland and, in an ideal world, i wouldn't like to see any of it go, we've removed most of it from this country, It's all about priorities. What gets me is that people sign these petitions without doing any research themselves into any facts, they just jump in on the statement, loss of historic woodland. If someone looked into it and making up their own mind, then decided to sign , then fine.

Casp'

And I agree with you I do like woodland and, in an ideal world, i wouldn't like to see any of it go, we've removed most of it from this country, It's all about priorities. What gets me is that people sign these petitions without doing any research themselves into any facts, they just jump in on the statement, loss of historic woodland. If someone looked into it and making up their own mind, then decided to sign , then fine.

Casp'

Which as it happens I did a fair amount of digging trying to find a habitat survey and related bits, which took me so long I never got the chance to sign the survey

Call me a cynic but I think this was a bit of politics from the quarry Co. and they had no intention of quarrying this place

Oh and a quick edit to admit I love these places in a very geeky way, just ask BSP what I was like in Burnham Beeches :-)

Edited by tree monkey

Because as I have said before mate, an ancient woodland is a massively complex Web of species and habitats, some of those species only exist in this habitat type

New woodlands are great and yes act as a short term carbon sink but in no way compare with an ancient woodland for habitat value

I am no tree hugger and like I said before, think we should exploit these areas in a sustainable way but digging them up is not sustainable

You put it so much better Tree Monkey than I have or could have- I felt people thought it was sensationalism when I first posted this, but I genuinely do care about the age and diversity of this woodland. Again, I do understand that compromises have to be made in life.

Have a greenie

You put it so much better Tree Monkey than I have or could have- I felt people thought it was sensationalism when I first posted this, but I genuinely do care about the age and diversity of this woodland. Again, I do understand that compromises have to be made in life.

Have a greenie

Ta, it's my area of interest and I can get very geeky