What's happened to Julynian?

George94

Featured Posts

He was egged on by Chris bennett on the PA!

MtB

Looking at the radar rainfall I'm surprised he didn't need an aqualung. Typically, it is glorious blue skies and sunshine here in Aberdeen where it isn't a public holiday, and bucketing down where it is.

Yes, but there's nothing about General Boating in the OP. Better in Virtual Pub to persue this amusing discussion and speculation rather than clutter up the General Boating forum

It would seem the majority are quite happy for it to be here, afterall nobody is forced to read a thread, just saying.

Phil

Looking at the radar rainfall I'm surprised he didn't need an aqualung. Typically, it is glorious blue skies and sunshine here in Aberdeen where it isn't a public holiday, and bucketing down where it is.

Saw this today, thought of Aberdeen, Alex Salmond and tonight's live argument :-)

IMG_20140825_191351.jpg

Edited by jenlyn

It would seem the majority are quite happy for it to be here, afterall nobody is forced to read a thread, just saying.

Phil

Quite right, just like I was served a bad pint in the pub, when rejected it the barmaid said 'well no one else has complained' Implying I was at fault. Sometimes it needs one person to stand up and say something. True no-one forced me to read the post headed ' What's Happened to Julynian' in General Boating could have been a genuine concern for one of our members, that's why I started to read it.

Julynian was always laughing out loud so wonder if, when he was rolling about, he got stuck under one of his many solar panels, or, heaven forbid, he rolled off of his boat never to be seen again.

I too hope he returns as he was amusing at times.

Dave

LOL!

(have a greenie)

Quite right, just like I was served a bad pint in the pub, when rejected it the barmaid said 'well no one else has complained' Implying I was at fault. Sometimes it needs one person to stand up and say something. True no-one forced me to read the post headed ' What's Happened to Julynian' in General Boating could have been a genuine concern for one of our members, that's why I started to read it.

Yes I can see that but after a few posts it should have been obvious that "J" was not in trouble nor had popped his clogs and as the thread did not suit your choice of forum reading you could have just closed the thread and opened another which interested you. I've done this many times, had a quick look, thought "nah not for me" and moved on. And as has been said the majority just click on "new posts"

Phil

I completely agree with you. If no-one cares about where threads are started the organisation of the forum goes to the wall. I've complained myself about rubbish in 'General Boating' but tended to get shouted down with the 'you don't have to read it' argument so I've given up complaining.

The thing is, it's a bit like CMing. When it happens occasionally it doen't matter. when it gets to be commonplace, its a problem but also its established practice so hard to deal with.

I think I'll PP it and see what the mods think!

:)

MtB

it keep floating to the top............................buoyancy is a very important subject in general boating! icecream.gif

Possibly this thread should have been originally posted in the pub but, it wasn't, and has now run for 360 odd posts. I think most of us are well aware what it is about,and the likelyhood of some pearl of wisdom being lost is fairly remote. and any way AFAIK donuts (or doughnuts) are central to boating life smile.png

joking aside I would have thought this has been going on long enough so that if the mods were not happy they would have reacted by now

joking aside I would have thought this has been going on long enough so that if the mods were not happy they would have reacted by now

How or why would they 'react' if no-one objects?

We'll see though, as I've just reported this thread because I think board discipline is important even though I'm swimming against the tide (again!)

MtB

How or why would they 'react' if no-one objects?

We'll see though, as I've just reported this thread because I think board discipline is important even though I'm swimming against the tide (again!)

MtB

Don't worry Mike....you must be used to that by now...cool.png

Don't worry Mike....you must be used to that by now...cool.png

I AM used to it!

It's been happening all my life. I get an idea in my head and say it constantly, and people dismiss what I say as rubbish.

Then a few years later everyone starts saying the same thing, like it's a new idea!

An example. I've been saying for years it's a shame to take the 1970s conversions off historic boats, as the conversions themselves are now historic. This last year or so other peeps have started saying the same.

Another expample. I'm now saying that new-build boats should not be allowed onto the cut unless an old boat is taken out and scrapped. No-one agrees with me now, but I bet this gets adopted in about ten or fifteen years when congestion gets out of hand.

MtB

• Greenie 1

I AM used to it!

It's been happening all my life. I get an idea in my head and say it constantly, and people dismiss what I say as rubbish.

Then a few years later everyone starts saying the same thing, like it's a new idea!

An example. I've been saying for years it's a shame to take the 1970s conversions off historic boats, as the conversions themselves are now historic. This last year or so other peeps have started saying the same.

Another expample. I'm now saying that new-build boats should not be allowed onto the cut unless an old boat is taken out and scrapped. No-one agrees with me now, but I bet this gets adopted in about ten or fifteen years when congestion gets out of hand.

MtB

OK, I will agree and give you a green thing, though all that's really needed is to get more boats into marinas when they are not being used.

I AM used to it!

MtB

The principle is fine but I can't for the life of me see how you could do it.....unless....How about No new registration numbers? If you want to register a boat you have to buy an old one to get its number?

Would this not see boats scrapped that could have become the historic boats of the future?

ps .... playing Devils advocate here as I actually think it's a good idea

Edited by Kwacker

The principle is fine but I can't for the life of me see how you could do it.....unless....How about No new registration numbers? If you want to register a boat you have to buy an old one to get its number?

Surely MtB's idea is going to greatly increase the cost of owning a boat. If you have a limited number of boats on the canal and you can only get a new one by scrapping an old there is the perfect chance to hold people to ransom. Old boats will sell to the highest bidder and desperation will greatly increase the prices offered..

This will make the canals a play thing only for those who can afford the price of two boats (well at least if they want a new one). At first this will not show much as people hang on to their current boat. However after a number of years boats at the end of their life will become the majority and then new boats will be expensive as you need to pay over the odds for the old boat.

Mike the Boilerman, on 26 Aug 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

MtB

I agree that in the future some sort of scheme of the sort you are proposing (maybe similar to the car scrappage scheme a couple of years ago) will be needed, but just thinking about the logistics, - any proposals on how it would work ?

Buyer wanting a new boat has to buy 'old boat' first ?

Old boat taken to new boat builder by water, truck, whatever ?

Boat builder sells hull for scrap and gets a 'certificate of scrappage'

Builder builds new boat.

Assuming the 'old boat' costs a reasonable amount (say £8000), the new boat buyer will be paying this, plus his (say) £80,000 for his new boat.

Does the boat builder pay the 'buyer' this £8,000 and offset the (say) £4000 he gets in scrap for the old boat, against the price of the new boat - who funds the £4000 difference ? (It wont be the Government, it wont be C&RT, and I doubt the boat builder has a suficient margin to fund it.)

Does the boat builder put up his prices by £X to cover what he knows he will lose on the 'scrappage deal' ?

Tupperware boats would be a different kettle-of-fish as there would be little 'scrap value' in them - however the prurchase price would be much lower so maybe the difference would be less as well ?

Surely MtB's idea is going to greatly increase the cost of owning a boat. If you have a limited number of boats on the canal and you can only get a new one by scrapping an old there is the perfect chance to hold people to ransom. Old boats will sell to the highest bidder and desperation will greatly increase the prices offered..

This will make the canals a play thing only for those who can afford the price of two boats (well at least if they want a new one). At first this will not show much as people hang on to their current boat. However after a number of years boats at the end of their life will become the majority and then new boats will be expensive as you need to pay over the odds for the old boat.

A lot of people would say that a narrowboat ( Not liveaboard ) is already a "rich" persons toy and to be honest pleasure boat owning is a past time of the reasonably affluent...even the ownership of a small GRP craft is expensive, by the time you have added up insurance, licence, moorings and maintenance.

Increased enforcement and tightening of rules is probably going to continue, because of increasing numbers and this is going to increase the pressure on the bottom end of the market.

However if you exclude liveaboard boats from the same restrictions you are going to skew the whole system so they will probably suffer as well

A lot of people would say that a narrowboat ( Not liveaboard ) is already a "rich" persons toy and to be honest pleasure boat owning is a past time of the reasonably affluent...even the ownership of a small GRP craft is expensive, by the time you have added up insurance, licence, moorings and maintenance.

The point is that it will become an even richer man's pastime, currently you don't have to be terribly well off to own a narrow boat but this would considerably up the stakes.

The point is that it will become an even richer man's pastime, currently you don't have to be terribly well off to own a narrow boat but this would considerably up the stakes.

And what is wrong with that?

Owning an Aston Martin is also something loads of peeps want to do, but is only available to peeps with the money to pay for their desired hobby. Why should boating be any different?

MtB