What's happened to Julynian?

George94

Featured Posts

TBH TDH more GOG......(grumpy old git)......You are right though there are some sensitive flowers around but sometimes when some posters begin to get really fired up (and yes you can be one of them) it becomes uncomfortable for even some of the more thick skinned among us. Bringing in the jokes be they donut or other does help calm it down a bit

Thanks John. I'm here because I'm interested in canals and one of the things that appeals most of all is how helpful and friendly boaters can be towards each other. That does not always come across well on this forum. When disagreeing it is best to focus on the topic rather than making it personal and I should have avoided using 'you' in my recent discussion with TDH. Aggressive discussion is rather pointless because it's hardly likely to win agreement. I may be a bit sensitive but I'm not going to give anyone the pleasure of getting involved in any heated argument.

And greeny to you too.

Edit: Deleted the bit about moorings because I forgot which topic I was posting in. :-)

Edited by mango

We've benefitted from the advice of many members on this site. We're reasonably practical when pointed in the right direction, but with this being our first boat and thus a learning curve, we've needed a bit of help.

I don't feel qualified to advise on boat mechanics and electrics, so I do feel that I have little to contribute sometimes. When someone is prepared to give their advice and thus their time free of charge, it shouldn't be undervalued- Julynian was one of the people that I thought regularly offered advice and support, Mr Smelly was another who provided sound advice (although we didn't agree on toilets)biggrin.png

So there was one post where he was out of order and maybe should have backed down- I haven't read it all so can only go on what has been said- but who hasn't had a moment like that. I think it's a loss to the forum when we lose people who are qualified to offer advice

Greenie to you

I couldn't have put it better myself, we are in exactly the same boat. And when we were in the buying stages, as well as choosing our solar system Julynian was one of many who freely shared his experience and advice. He took the time to pm with detailed valuable information and kindly answered some pretty novice questions with no ridicule at all, we both found him very supportive. We plan on looking him and his wife up when we get to the K&A and having a wee tipple with them to say thanks, the proper way.

I haven't read any of the "offending" thread, but know that I will miss his postings and advice.

B~

Greenie to you

I couldn't have put it better myself, we are in exactly the same boat. And when we were in the buying stages, as well as choosing our solar system Julynian was one of many who freely shared his experience and advice. He took the time to pm with detailed valuable information and kindly answered some pretty novice questions with no ridicule at all, we both found him very supportive. We plan on looking him and his wife up when we get to the K&A and having a wee tipple with them to say thanks, the proper way.

I haven't read any of the "offending" thread, but know that I will miss his postings and advice.

B~

I read on a different site that they were looking to get there boat lifted and taken to Scotland, and another site where they no longer post after an internet row. It is true I am sure that many people say things using a keyboard in a way that they would not do face to face.

Greenie to you

B~

I'm confused - in exactly the same boat as Woodstock, or as Julynian? And isn't it therefore a bit crowded?

Anyway, J did try to be helpful but his confidence and keenness to help sometimes exceeded his knowledge, and unfortunately he was not very good at realising he was wrong on a subject even when faced with strong evidence from multiple forum members. That made him a little "dangerous".

And thus the pot calls the kettle black.

. And there in lies the problem , there is a small collection of people here who are willing to spout to everyone and anyone that will listen how great and perfect they are whilst not realising that they are in fact the cause of most of the problems but if you dare try and tell them they will attempt to cyber bully you off the forum and if you attempt to come on here with a view point of your own as a newbie watch out , I sit and wait for the first one to arrive and tell me my grammar sucks ,well save your breath I already know
  • Greenie 1

I sit and wait for the first one to arrive and tell me my grammar sucks ,well save your breath I already know

So bearing in mind your grammar is not exemplary, and yet you are still awaiting the first one, surely the problem is far from prevalent?Maybe instead of "waiting for" it's more a case of "hoping for"?

So bearing in mind your grammar is not exemplary, and yet you are still awaiting the first one, surely the problem is far from prevalent?Maybe instead of "waiting for" it's more a case of "hoping for"?

That reads as a bit provocative (meant to or not) His grammar may not be exemplary but he has a knack of hitting the nail on the head

That reads as a bit provocative (meant to or not) His grammar may not be exemplary but he has a knack of hitting the nail on the head

It's interesting how people see people differently. I consider him to be someone who has nothing to contribute to this forum except abuse and aggression, ranging from pretty low level stuff to fairly high level stuff. "Massive chip" springs to mind. He pretty much launched straight into abuse and criticism of the forum from his first post onwards. Following a number of abusive posts he is currently on my "ignore" list. This doesn't mean I don't read his posts (obviously!) but does mean it reminds me of his nature, and to take a deep breath, before reading. It seems you take a completely different view which just goes to show ... something? Either we use different criteria to judge someone, or we manage to interpret the written word in quite different ways.

Edited by nicknorman

Possibly both... he seems (to me at least) frequently to identify the root point of a subject. With the conclusions he then makes, however, I frequently disagree.

Personally I prefer someone who is more forthcoming with identifying solutions rather than identifying problems. The latter is usually the easy bit!

I'm not comfortable with the idea of discussing anyone, whether they are a current or past contributor. Hopefully Julynian will come back and we can all say doughnuts to him or anyone else who decides to be rude to others. I don't begin to understand why some of our contributors feel the need to be rude.

Then in that case I think I will reiterate, that I thought your post read as provocative and in view of your comments about "ignore lists" I would add probably unnecessary..........donut?

Well this was the post in question:

"And there in lies the problem , there is a small collection of people here who are willing to spout to everyone and anyone that will listen how great and perfect they are whilst not realising that they are in fact the cause of most of the problems but if you dare try and tell them they will attempt to cyber bully you off the forum and if you attempt to come on here with a view point of your own as a newbie watch out , I sit and wait for the first one to arrive and tell me my grammar sucks ,well save your breath I already know"

So, whilst no-one was attacking him, he spontaneously states, using some fairly emotive language, that a contingent of regulars are up their own arses and are bullies, finishing off with a "come and get some if you dare" type of challenge. Seemed to me an unprovoked attack on "them".

My reaction was along the lines that he protesteth too much and it seemed was more probably hoping for a conflict.

It's interesting that you have nothing to say about his contribution, but quite a bit to say about my response. But of course you are right, it was probably unnecessary and unproductive, along with much of the rest of this thread. Passes the time though!

Uncalled for.

Phil

Not to worry, another one for the ignore list which will remind me never to offer help to him.

Edited by nicknorman

Just wondering, has anyone here ever tried a doughnut ('donut' as the yanks spell it)?

They really are rather nice.

MtB

P.S. I haven't read the whole thread... smile.png

Well sit yourself down...tis terrible day forecast out there....and have a dough nutty/donut/doughnut moment with large coffee and settle down to read whole thread...I managed 8 pages...think thats where donuts came in so start from maybe page 8...that'll cut out the unimportant stuff----lost my smilie things..b.technology!

Just wondering, has anyone here ever tried a doughnut ('donut' as the yanks spell it)?

They really are rather nice.

MtB

P.S. I haven't read the whole thread... :)

Really Mike, I mean really, what a damn fool question to ask, just check out my signature. (Walks away muttering...again)

Phil