BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Odin has seen the vet again this morning.

She is pleased with his progress and feels that he should be fine to go boating in a few days - with a few caveats about what he is allowed to do.

In many ways being on the boat is less of a problem than being at home - there are no staircases for example, and he doesn't need to be put into a car to go for a gentle walk in the fresh air. We will put his bed in the front well deck and he can watch the world go by.

So, we should be setting off towards Birmingham in a few days.

Pleased to hear that! Have a good trip.boat.gif

I don't know. I'll be coming in from the Stratford Canal, but having never been to Brum on the boat I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I plan to experience the Gas Street area for a few days and this is where I have arranged to meet my crew.

Best moorings in that area are round the back, in the shadow of the Hyatt, turn right just before Broad St Tunnel. Problem is they are only 24 hr.

If you keep going through the 'tunnel' towards the Old Turn traffic island and then keep going round to the left you'll go into the Oozells Loop. Best moorings in Brum, IMHO, are just on the left as you enter. Not sure but I think they're 48hr.

It is kinda spooky in there.

I know!

I was convinced the boat was going backwards at one point the last time we went through.

unsure.png

Peckham Poppy will be positioning into the city centre for Friday night pre-Challenge bantering by some of the more sociable crew. Prince of Wales is John's default pub - sort of behind the Malt House and the Convention Centre. Will doubtless see you all around

It's at the other end of that central bit of canal, behind the Mailbox, but the Craven Arms, B1 1LJ, is well worth a visit.

cheers.gif

It's at the other end of that central bit of canal, behind the Mailbox, but the Craven Arms, B1 1LJ, is well worth a visit.

cheers.gif

The Prince of Wales is good but the Craven Arms is better. How about a pre-challenge pubcrawlbanter? I'm not saying I drink too much but I reckon I know ALL the pubs in the city centre.

The Prince of Wales is good but the Craven Arms is better. How about a pre-challenge pubcrawlbanter? I'm not saying I drink too much but I reckon I know ALL the pubs in the city centre.

Good idea but I'm afraid I'll have to pass.

The plan is to arrive in Brum sometime friday, collect the ships cat (Hello Tiggy!), and press on to our starting position in readiness for 08:00 Saturday.

This latter place being, of course, a closely guarded secret! CLUE: Home brew pub not far from the moorings.

I was in the Craven Arms last week and it struck me that the beer selection was even better than that in the Wellington!

cheers.gif

Is it? I've never dared go in there.

Probably the best ale pub in the city centre, ousting the Wellington from its throne. Not to be missed are 'cheese night' on a monday, and 'pork pie night' on a thursday.

An excellent mini-crawl would be: Prince of Wales --> Wellington --> Post Office Vaults --> Craven Arms --> Canalside Cafe.

Oh and Brewdog...

So, we should be setting off towards Birmingham in a few days.

Will you do the GU all the way or the Stratford for the last bit? I have an idea where you're coming from so should you end up around Lapworth next Wednesday give me a shout and I'll come and help you up the flight. I'm at the top but staying put until doing the last leg into Birmingham just before the challenge.

Good news about Odin. Being a Black Lab lover and having met him briefly in Stoke Bruerne last year I'm looking forward to seeing him again although I'm sure visiting hours will be restricted! Is he allowed the doggy alternative to grapes and Lucozade?

Edited by junior

I'm at the top but staying put until doing the last leg into Birmingham just before the challenge.

Are you moored between the top lock and the first lift bridge?

I do hope so, right outside those two houses with 'No Mooring' signs.

Great fun can be had winding up the arzeole who lives in one of them.

laugh.png

Are you moored between the top lock and the first lift bridge?

I do hope so, right outside those two houses with 'No Mooring' signs.

Great fun can be had winding up the arzeole who lives in one of them.

laugh.png

Head through the 2 lift bridges then stow the windlass till Brum. You have the Wharf at Hocley heath just after swallow cruisers, then the Bluebell (nice cider house could moor there for a week), then Lady lane wharf, I am there currently in my little cruiser (what we are doing the challenge in), I will be about the weekend may head down to see you if you hanging round the area a whilst, my daughter works in the bluebell so there and back every weekend.

Will you do the GU all the way or the Stratford for the last bit? I have an idea where you're coming from so should you end up around Lapworth next Wednesday give me a shout and I'll come and help you up the flight. I'm at the top but staying put until doing the last leg into Birmingham just before the challenge.

Good news about Odin. Being a Black Lab lover and having met him briefly in Stoke Bruerne last year I'm looking forward to seeing him again although I'm sure visiting hours will be restricted! Is he allowed the doggy alternative to grapes and Lucozade?

Not yet sure about which way we are going. We will let you know. Odin is still partially on the 'bland diet', which I suppose is the equivalent of grapes and Lucozade, he's being switched to his normal diet 10% a day.

Just so I don't reply to the wrong person, no quoting here, but seriously anyone needing help on the Stratford Canal this weekend I may be able to help as I am up the boat doing pre décor(which should take all of 10 mins on a 20ft boat), I am then heading up to Brum either Thursday or Friday am before the challenge so any who may be doing the easy part of thr Upper Startford Canal let me know we can have a mini convoy and stop at a few of the pubs on the way...........

A bit smiley_offtopic.gif ish, but...............

Along the first half of that cutting approaching the Blue Bell bridge from the south, if you look up to the right you will see the Birmingham Society of Model Engineers premises.

They are hosting the Southern Federation of Model Engineering Societies spring rally this weekend, 17th & 18th May. Should be lots of small steam engine action.

I reckon I might have been there myself but we're going here http://www.fawleyhill.co.uk/ with the avatar instead.

Changing the subject, I can recommend the beer brewed at the Blue Bell.

cheers.gif

Edited by Victor Vectis

We will be coming up Lapworth at the weekend, not sure if Sat or Sun yet, hoping to get our crew there as they have not done any locks since last years challenge help.gif

We shall have to give the Bluebell a go though, not been there since they started brewing beer, and the battery acid was never to my liking.

Junior will be doing his bit for the Germans and bringing his Speedos.

That's got me worried.

We're in a holding position at Cheswardine at the moment (just north of bridge 53 on the Shroppie) staying within commutable distance of work till the last moment.

Anyone passing give us a wave, or if you fancy a beer en route we can always move to Goldstone Wharf for an evening if you give us advance notice.

(There are two fantastic pubs in Cheswardine btw but it's a mile walk along a very narrow country lane with nowhere to go to get out of the way of oncoming traffic from either direction. We did it once and I was truly fearful of my life!)

Craven Arms gets my vote too cheers.gif