BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

I thought it was a new bonus point scam you'd found out about

Fit Tawny with wheels and do the hard bits of the BCN wink.png

Now there's an idea for next year! Boats do the watery bits, walking competitors do "The other Sixty Miles" plus all watery bits. Call in the Ramblers Association...

On the Thursday hope to be at Lady Lane on the Stratford on Avon canal, then hope to moor in Birmingham on the Friday ready for kick off Saturday.

smile.png

Not seen Clarrie about last week or so I stayed over up there after partaking in a few to many thatchers with all meaning to finish preparations for the challenge such as polishing my planing hull and super tuning the outboard. I did manage to fit a curtain rail however on the Saturday am when I woke with a fuzzy head and thought the best I could do was to treat myself to a breakfast at the Wharf and a few more beers, come 4pm I was fine.

Now there's an idea for next year! Boats do the watery bits, walking competitors do "The other Sixty Miles" plus all watery bits. Call in the Ramblers Association...

Nice Idea Peckham Poppy!! clapping.gif

Current plans indicate our starting position as the top of the Churchbridge locks.

I remember seeing that photo with a lock chamber half way up a slope as the open cast got going. I did not realise there were any remnants left?

We are practising for our run along the New Main line:

r_thames-26aug13-549.jpg

Ooh, you don't want to do that. It's OK for the new main line out of Tipton, but it stops you getting around the bends on the W&E. The keel slices through the mud

Richard

Just having another quick think! I have gathered there will be some form of social gathering at the end of the competitioncheers.gif ( i'm looking forward to meeting lots of new boating friends!) Is there a cash machine near Hawne basin or do I need to go to the cash machine before leaving home.

We just wanted to wish everyone taking part in this a wonderful and safe time.

You are all going to have an enormous amount of fun and we are more than a tad green with envy that we are not doing it.

We have so many friends taking part that we cannot possibly say who is our favourite but we look forward to hearing updates as the weekend goes on.

We are going to party, but maybe not as late as we usually wouldcheers.gif

Here is the welcome from Hawne Basin, did you not get an email about this?

Coombeswood Canal Trust is pleased
to welcome the 2014 BCNS 24 Hour
Marathon Challenge and invites you to
moor up for the night in Hawne Basin.
There will be a free buffet for the
entrants and their supporters along with
a competitively priced real ale bar from
noon on Sunday, whilst stocks last.
Showers available in the toilet block.
Hawne Basin also offers water, elsan
disposal, pump-out and diesel.

There was talk about us putting together a pot luck supper, but we don't need to do that now, as Hawne Basin have offered a buffet. Mind you, I suspect any contributions from the boats will also be acceptable.They will also provide BBQ's if people want to bring and cook their own food.

Looking forward to it now, positioning move this Saturday and we nearly have a plan. Just hoping for good wether, hope the Hawne Basin committee can organise that as well clapping.gif

Sue

Well Team Fincher are finally on board "Chalice" after all the "excitement" of the past few weeks.

We are about to start our positioning move, (from Hertfordshire).

We will have both boats out for a while, to get "Sickle" back to her home mooring, now we can no longer do the "Ricky" Festival, but should quickly be down to just the one.

(But, unfortunately, as my signature now says, "Odin" decided to chuck up as soon as on board "Chalice". sick.gif )

What is happening, or what normally happens at the end of this things? Does everyone got to sleep or start partying?

On the Monday, NB Firefly put on a boat handling demonstration, it was winding last year

Richard

Dave might do his famous rope throwing trick - where the person on the bank gets both ends

(it was attached to the boat when he threw it - just became detached mid flight - honest!)

I'm pleased to announce that Team Cobbett will be assembling tomorrow evening to start as we mean to go on...

Pea and asparagus capellini with lime and mint dressing

Steak Anglais with Charlotte potatoes and thyme and orange salad

Poire Helene with jus rouge

Cheese

Accompanied by red wine and random bottles of gin and the like ...

Then we're going to sleep ....

• Greenie 1

I'm pleased to announce that Team Cobbett will be assembling tomorrow evening to start as we mean to go on...

Pea and asparagus capellini with lime and mint dressing

Steak Anglais with Charlotte potatoes and thyme and orange salad

Poire Helene with jus rouge

Cheese

Accompanied by red wine and random bottles of gin and the like ...

Then we're going to sleep ....

Wow.

I think we are having bacon rolls and Pringles on Albion.

Edited by junior
  • Greenie 1