BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

If we find any wool or fibre products round our prop, we will blame Team Cobbett on principle.

On second thoughts, how about the winner gets a BCN mat woven from the accumulated catches of all the competitors? That should deter the competition!

2 weeks to go. Bunting ordered, crew about to leave Auckland. Getting excited now. Anyone about next Saturday 17th come banter at HP - John is threatening a BBQ

ok, I'm going to be slow, single-handing around the BCN. So if there is a particular boat that you want obstructed or impeded on the day, let me know the details, payment must be in doughnuts in an unmarked bag, with no fingerprints because the jam gets everywhere.

If we find any wool or fibre products round our prop, we will blame Team Cobbett on principle.

On second thoughts, how about the winner gets a BCN mat woven from the accumulated catches of all the competitors? That should deter the competition!

2 weeks to go. Bunting ordered, crew about to leave Auckland. Getting excited now. Anyone about next Saturday 17th come banter at HP - John is threatening a BBQ

Next Saturday!! It's the BCNS Rally at Titford including an explorer cruise around the Pools as far as is possible.

Following the earlier discussion in this thread on headroom in the Gosty Hill Tunnel. I went through this weekend. My internal cabin height is 6'4", my boat is quite straight sided and I had my two big roof planters and an even bigger halfords roof-box on my roof. I had no trouble at all going through the tunnel. As usual, people tend to over-exagerate low bridges and tunnels. If you can go through Harecastle, for example, you'll have no problems.

Here's photo proof at the lowest point photo6_zps8f2b08b1.jpg

There fine Paul, did post earlier that anything higher than a Alde vent and you will get problems. Its difficult to judge distances in a tunnel but I would say its just perhaps the middle 200 yards or so that is really low. The start and end are fine

And just to avoid further confusion: at the near end, it's high for the first few yards, then you get a low bit, then all through the middle section it's high, then towards the far end it goes low again just before you emerge on the Coombeswood side. To be honest I could have left my chimney on, with the coolie hat off and I'm sure I would have been fine. My Alde vent was nowhere near the tunnel walls.

I have to admit I couldn't see what the fuss was about

I remember taking TO through there at a fair lick with no problem

Richard was a bit white, but I put that down to him seeing a ghost or something

I saw a vampire!

Rather more disconcertingly, while being towed through Gosty Hill, alone on the back of the boat, someone said 'Boo' in my ear

Richard

It is kinda spooky in there. I was all alone but I thought I heard some odd sounds. I wouldn't especially want to break down in there.

Rather more disconcertingly, while being towed through Gosty Hill, alone on the back of the boat, someone said 'Boo' in my ear

Richard

It's those voices in your head again

Double the medication for a couple of days and then ween yourself back down to normal ;)

Who might be about on the Friday 23rd May in Deep Cuttings area?

I will be taking the boat up that way whilst heading to our start point, will say hi to anyone about.

If not im sure a lot of hollering will be taking place throughout the 2 days, and plenty of good hearted fun on the Sunday afternoon.

Who might be about on the Friday 23rd May in Deep Cuttings area?

I will be taking the boat up that way whilst heading to our start point, will say hi to anyone about.

If not im sure a lot of hollering will be taking place throughout the 2 days, and plenty of good hearted fun on the Sunday afternoon.

I don't know specifically where that is, but i plan to arrive in the centre or Brum on the Wednesday afternoon prior to the challenge. I'll be pottering about filling up with water, deisel and emptying the loo etc and i expect other participants in the challenge will all start appearing the closer it gets to Friday.

I don't know specifically where that is, but i plan to arrive in the centre or Brum on the Wednesday afternoon prior to the challenge. I'll be pottering about filling up with water, deisel and emptying the loo etc and i expect other participants in the challenge will all start appearing the closer it gets to Friday.

I normally moor on my overnight forays by the NIA and have a few bevvies in the Malt House, will look out for you.

Regarding Gosty it just depends on the shape of the boat, headroom, and ballasting. The previous boat we used to borrow, which I could stand up inside (maybe 6'5" or 6'6") was very tight but then it had a pretty minimal draft and not a lot of tumblehome. Our current boat which has similar internal headroom, but much deeper drafted and more tumblehome, is a doddle

Hey! You're not all gonna steal my spot are ya?

Hey! You're not all gonna steal my spot are ya?

I don't know. I'll be coming in from the Stratford Canal, but having never been to Brum on the boat I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I plan to experience the Gas Street area for a few days and this is where I have arranged to meet my crew.

BCN Challenge competitors may be interested to know that Hawne Basin have diesel for sale, currently at 79p a litre. I guess many of us will have low tanks by then, I'm sure Coombeswood will be happy to take our money to support the trust sell you some diesel

Richard

I don't know. I'll be coming in from the Stratford Canal, but having never been to Brum on the boat I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I plan to experience the Gas Street area for a few days and this is where I have arranged to meet my crew.

Peckham Poppy will be positioning into the city centre for Friday night pre-Challenge bantering by some of the more sociable crew. Prince of Wales is John's default pub - sort of behind the Malt House and the Convention Centre. Will doubtless see you all around

BCN Challenge competitors may be interested to know that Hawne Basin have diesel for sale, currently at 79p a litre. I guess many of us will have low tanks by then, I'm sure Coombeswood will be happy to take our money to support the trust sell you some diesel

Richard

Thanks for that info. We were going to go past Caggys en route - also generally good if the queue is to long at Hawne

Odin has seen the vet again this morning.

She is pleased with his progress and feels that he should be fine to go boating in a few days - with a few caveats about what he is allowed to do.

In many ways being on the boat is less of a problem than being at home - there are no staircases for example, and he doesn't need to be put into a car to go for a gentle walk in the fresh air. We will put his bed in the front well deck and he can watch the world go by.

So, we should be setting off towards Birmingham in a few days.

Odin has seen the vet again this morning.

She is pleased with his progress and feels that he should be fine to go boating in a few days - with a few caveats about what he is allowed to do.

In many ways being on the boat is less of a problem than being at home - there are no staircases for example, and he doesn't need to be put into a car to go for a gentle walk in the fresh air. We will put his bed in the front well deck and he can watch the world go by.

So, we should be setting off towards Birmingham in a few days.

cheers.gif