BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Yes, but unfortunately - but largely because the boat wasn't properly squared up on the entrance to the tunnel. We had perhaps one, two inches on either side at the front. David taped up the corners, and he and I sat in the front well deck, hand pushing the boat through, fending on either side. Alan came from the back to help at the very lowest point.

What the hell, paint can always go back - you only do Froghall once.

CIMG3801.JPG

Or twice, unless you leave your boat at the other end!

smile.png

Or twice, unless you leave your boat at the other end!

smile.png

Yes,

And if you were really clever you would have the wit to totally fill your water tank before going in for the first time, and not leave it until you were at the other end, ready for the passage back! (It helped a little!).

The picture Cath has posted of us in Gosty Hill shows me at the "downhill" end of the boat steering, where it is further from the roof arch. Chalice sits very "front end high", and the clearance at the grab rails is significantly less at the "pointy end". If we had a roof box, it would need to be at the "downhill" end of the boat, and neither very tall, nor very wide.

Chalice does have quite a high roof. These are photos from our blog, perhaps if you've got a picture of going under the M5 it might help you:

Gosty Hill:

CIMG8427.JPG

Gosty Hill lowest part - forward from the steerer:

IMG_4367.JPG

Froghall:

CIMG3803.JPG

M5 (looking forward, not back):

IMG_0329.JPG

Ok here's my equivalent pics:

DSC_7323reduced_zpsb642df43.jpg

and just before entry:

DSC_7322reduced_zpsce622be0.jpg

I'd say the roofs are within an inch of each other for height; and that the profile of Gosty hill tunnel means that our solar panels are sufficiently within the profile. So its all ok! (Famous last words...)

Planning Question: Can you approach Spon Lane Jn on the old line from the West (Titford) and turn sharp left to go down the Spon Lane locks to Bromford Jn in 59' boat? Never done it that way, but seem to recall it is a really acute turn and not that wide. It is annoyingly hidden from satellite view under the motorway! I don't really relish having to reverse down!

Actually, at 59' you may not. With a 70' boat there comes a point when the bow is against one side and the stern against the other. The engine can't help and you are stuck.

So, you take the bow line and pull, wishing that there was a convenient strapping post, turn around and there is!

Richard

Ta - so what was the post for?

Forget my comment - he has just told you!

As an aside if you descend those locks, then try and make the near 180 degree turn back towards Old Turn and the centre of Brum, it can get surprisingly interesting in a deep draughted boat.

Despite "Sickle" being only 40 feet, and my taking what I estimated to be not too much of a short-cut around the bend, it s actually not only very shallow in the "vee" between the two, (the bit you would not normally enter if coming from the west, whichever way you are going), but also seems to contain masses of tar or oil like chemical waste sitting on the bottom, but which normally would not get stirred up.

We got stemmed there for a while, and after some extreme use of the engine to reverse off it, the canal was quite black in all directions.

Edited by alan_fincher

Wait a minute, don't have a bow thruster!

Except for Jeff with a pole of course.

Poor old Nick!

The poor man's Hudson.

Rivets maybe, but no vintage engine, and no bow thruster.

How many rivets on Jeff's pole, (Ooh matron!)

Poor old Nick!The poor man's Hudson.Rivets maybe, but no vintage engine, and no bow thruster.How many rivets on Jeff's pole, (Ooh matron!)

Who would buy an ancient 3rd hand engine with several uncareful previous owners when you can have a new one much cheaper? I'm not that gullible!

And Steve said that if we wanted the torpedo launchers we couldn't have a bowthruster as well - it was a tough decision but the ability to sink any passing Continuous Cruisers won out in the end.

As to your third question, you'll have to ask him yourself, I couldn't possibly comment!

Edited by nicknorman

Forget my comment - he has just told you!

As an aside if you descend those locks, then try and make the near 180 degree turn back towards Old Turn and the centre of Brum, it can get surprisingly interesting in a deep draughted boat.

Despite "Sickle" being only 40 feet, and my taking what I estimated to be not too much of a short-cut around the bend, it s actually not only very shallow in the "vee" between the two, (the bit you would not normally enter if coming from the west, whichever way you are going), but also seems to contain masses of tar or oil like chemical waste sitting on the bottom, but which normally would not get stirred up.

We got stemmed there for a while, and after some extreme use of the engine to reverse off it, the canal was quite black in all directions.

I've made that turn many times and it's always been awkward. There's plenty of space but hardly any depth so beautiful sweeping turns aren't possible sadly. Especially given that I've often had an audience there.

It might be a good idea to be in front of Ange and Dave's boat "Iona 2".

(But Ange says we are of little faith, and that the roof will be perfectly suitable by the time it needs to traverse "that" tunnel!)

Ah I thought my ears were burning yesterday :D

All the wood is off the roof and in storage in Kent (well it will be once we've got it out of the car!)

Odana has kindly offered us storage space for the rest of the deitris that usually resides on our roof, though there is a chance we might find room on the front deck for it to save us the detour.

We did get under the M5 bridge on the Droitwich, where the water level was high enough that Dave had to remove the tiller pin to get under it so we have come up trumps before! And there was a very low bridge on the River Weaver we made it under - though Lonewolf will testify she was hastily removing stuff from the roof as we approached it.

If you remain unconvinced make sure your in front of us - though I dread the infamy of being the wedge in the tunnel always remembered from the 2014 Challenge enough to make sure it ain't going to happen :D

As an aside on the "sharp turns" thing and dismissing Jeff as just the bowthruster, I'd better mention (in case he reads it!) that on his first attempt he managed the sharp turn from Minworth direction on the B&F, 1st left towards Star City, without needing reverse nor touching the sides. I was impressed as I always seem to need reverse!

There fine Paul, did post earlier that anything higher than a Alde vent and you will get problems. Its difficult to judge distances in a tunnel but I would say its just perhaps the middle 200 yards or so that is really low. The start and end are fine

Thanks for this, I have decided to miss out the middle bit and just do the ends. Sorted.

The highest point on my roof is the tunnel lamp, so if I have to take that off, look out for the blue Cat, in the dark tunnel, that isn't there.

Thanks for this, I have decided to miss out the middle bit and just do the ends. Sorted.

Good plan. I'd rather do the height restricted bits at the ends too rather than the cathedral like bit in the middle

Richard

Thank goodness Telemachus has one good boat handler on board then

Richard

I never was very good at driving, that's why I became a helicopter pilot - one is so much further away from things to hit whilst flying. Edited by nicknorman

True, as long as you stay close to the blue bit and away from the green bit, you can't go too far wrong

Richard

True, but what goes up must come down. Mother Earth is particularly jealous and possessive woman. She won't thank you for leaving her, and will likely fetch you a good slap on your return if you're not careful.