BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

You can start at the bottom of the 21 and get points for the locks.

The canals that count are basically all the BCN (but B&F only to Salford Junction this year) plus the GU from bottom of Camp Hill to Salford Junction.

Yes there is a well-defined list that you get when you send in your application. Yes you can go up only from Aldersley Jn. Other periphery are Salford Jn, Black Delph jn. Camp Hil area - bit confused but it looks like you can start at the bottom lock.

ok thanks, I have just done a few basic route planning things and it looks like I could make it to a 'reasonable' start point, do enough stuff in the 24h, then make it back home, well, back to work. Its just it would be nice to do some different canals than I've already done for the way there or back, and the Aldersley-Stourton Jn-Black Delph-Hawne Basin route sounds quite a nice alternate to the Wolverhampton 21 (but is longer to do).

You can start at the bottom of the 21 and get points for the locks.

The canals that count are basically all the BCN (but B&F only to Salford Junction this year) plus the GU from bottom of Camp Hill to Salford Junction.

Not the Stourbridge then? I guess that's a different canal, but once you're onto the Dudley canals it starts to count....

ok thanks, I have just done a few basic route planning things and it looks like I could make it to a 'reasonable' start point, do enough stuff in the 24h, then make it back home, well, back to work. Its just it would be nice to do some different canals than I've already done for the way there or back, and the Aldersley-Stourton Jn-Black Delph-Hawne Basin route sounds quite a nice alternate to the Wolverhampton 21 (but is longer to do).

Not the Stourbridge then? I guess that's a different canal, but once you're onto the Dudley canals it starts to count....

No points for the Stourbridge canal, it's not part of the BCN. Dudley #1 and #2 are. Simples!

Ed: you can still do the route you mention, you just won't get very many points for it. But then are points more important than covering new ground and meeting exciting new people?

Edited by nicknorman

No the Stourbridge route is the way home!

I'm vaguely familiar with what is the BCN (now I've clarified the bit that isn't, but might have been....) and I'm busy planning a winning route.

Is it normal for people to spend months planning a meticulous and exact route factoring in maximum points scored with bonuses and carefully balancing with allocated lock time and travel time, taking into account planned short stops etc.......only to not hear from them until about Tuesday?

No the Stourbrjdge is not part of the BCN, the BCN starts at the bottom of Delphi locks and you can start there and get points for the locks.

Is it normal for people to spend months planning a meticulous and exact route factoring in maximum points scored with bonuses and carefully balancing with allocated lock time and travel time, taking into account planned short stops etc.......only to not hear from them until about Tuesday?

Yes. If they get stuck at the Manor Arms that is.

But before spending too long with the planning, send away for your application and get back the route planner. This gives the bonus factors. eg for Wolverhampton locks you get 1 point per lock and your length/35 points per mile. But for example most of the Walsall canal will give you 3 times the points for both locks and miles.

Edited by nicknorman

I am kinda interested in doing this, but it would be a 4 day trek to get to a reasonable start point, and a 4 day trek back home.

Ummmm...I know it might come as a daft question, but what do you consider the 'border' of the BCN, I am thinking of a reasonable starting point for us would either be the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21, or the top of it - would these locks count for the points? What canals are on the list and what ones are too far away from the BCN to count?

Paul, you can do quite a lot of playing/planning with Ian's web page: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

What's your boat name, I'll put you on the list

Richard

Paul, you can do quite a lot of playing/planning with Ian's web page: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

Richard

Yes it's very good. Has he recently added the footballers or had I just not noticed before? Anyway, I have a complaint. When there is one crew it is a bloke, when you add a second crew member it is always a female. I want to lodge a complaint with the PC Police.

Yes. If they get stuck at the Manor Arms that is.

Be careful around there, it's very shallow. We've run aground there a few years running, and it takes us forever to get free.

Yes it's very good. Has he recently added the footballers or had I just not noticed before? Anyway, I have a complaint. When there is one crew it is a bloke, when you add a second crew member it is always a female. I want to lodge a complaint with the PC Police.

Actually, that first one is a principal boy and the rest are all trans. Apart from the mermaid. And Tink. I added them for extra diversity as non-humans were under represented, as were the magical community.

Be careful around there, it's very shallow. We've run aground there a few years running, and it takes us forever to get free.

No excuse this year, they've dredged it!

Actually, that first one is a principal boy and the rest are all trans. Apart from the mermaid. And Tink. I added them for extra diversity as non-humans were under represented, as were the magical community.

Hmmm, do I look convinced?

They're for working the locks while the bloke steers!

:)

Having just read this I now realize why he was so nice when I got home from work!

Do I now need to fetch my coat and leave?

Edited by Little Else

Is Odin going too? I'll need to work on his saboutage training if so. biggrin.png

Blimey!

Just found this.

You are too late Starry - as you are well aware he has been well and truly sabotaged already!

Seriously though.....

The whole "Odin" thing has completely shafted all the boating plans we had made for a large part of the start of the year. Although he is progressing well, (remarkably well, considering just how close he came to not being here), we really have no idea yet how things will progress, and what may be possible.

We remain optimistic, at the moment. However, I think we are realising that the "cunning plan" that had us attending both the "Ricky" festival (with "Sickle") and doing the BCNS Challenge, (with "Chalice"), is simply not going to be possible. So we have some tough decisions to make, (assuming of course "Odin" continues to progress well enough to enable us to do either).

I have to say that looking at possible "planning" for the "Challenge", (I use the term only loosely!), is doing my head in!

I enjoyed clicking on the Dudley tunnel bit!

The BCN Explorer cruise A is doing that route a week before the Challenge so it will either be all clear or 20 odd boats stuck at the Manor pub.

:)

Can anyone tell me what the situation on the wednesbury oak loop is. On here: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php it indicates that we can turn at the Bradley Workshops but I thought that wasn't possible on the weekends? Can I turn my 55' boat down there i will I have to turn earlier.

Can anyone tell me what the situation on the wednesbury oak loop is. On here: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php it indicates that we can turn at the Bradley Workshops but I thought that wasn't possible on the weekends? Can I turn my 55' boat down there i will I have to turn earlier.

They take the chain down for the BCN weekend

You can turn 70' there (just)

We turned 59' by nosing into the basin, but it was tight, the entrance is narrow and it is shallow opposite. Apparently it is better to turn a few yards further on.

Or to put it another way, no you must turn much earlier and thereby get no points...

We turned 59' by nosing into the basin, but it was tight, the entrance is narrow and it is shallow opposite. Apparently it is better to turn a few yards further on.

Or to put it another way, no you must turn much earlier and thereby get no points...

My route takes me that way on the sunday morning so I might be choosing between that way and trying to get to Hawne Basin by 2.00pm for 15 bonus points! Such excitement :)

Apologies in advance as I haven't read all of this thread and its probably been stated many times and you all probably know anyway but anyone new to the Hawne Basin area you must take everything off your roof thats roughly higher than an Alde vent when you go through the tunnel. Oh yes and remember to duck when you see the photograph :-)

Richard

Can I just say that even if I were not doing the Challenge that playing with Ian's planning page is great fun anyway.

It needs to factor in though.....

1) Enter number of boats you think will be ahead of you at a lock flight

2) Enter your best guess at delay time before I can pass through Gosty Hill Tunnel.