BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

We did in 2011 and raised £2500 for a branch of the Retired Greyhound Trust. We intend to do the same this year, possibly including a local branch but have been too busy to get organised. We will try for the same fund raising target but it will be tough as 2011 had some large one off donations

On the way up we intend to train the hounds to bow haul us up to the Bradley Workshops. Not sure what happens if they see a rabbit on the towpath . . . .

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

How did I miss that!

CWDF BCN Challenge entries 2014 - Twitter feed #BCN2014

Team Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairie, Proper Job, Richard Parry

Iona - MILLIE, Ange, Davel, Divum Draconis

The Cat Who Walks By Himself - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers, Starcoaster, Katie, Ellen

Diesel and Dust - Tom and Bex

Firefly - John6767

Team Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO)

MVCL - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Peckham Poppy - Odana, Black Beauty, Keeping Up

Telemachus - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris

The Moorhen - Mike & Jane

Clover - sarahavfc, M589

Beau - Dave_P

Reginald - Mike the Boilerman, Tree Monkey
Stronghold - Oakie, Barry Adams and "Mouse"
Chalice - ODIN, Alan, Cath & David Fincher
Carpe Vinum - Kustomcut
Indigo Dream - RichardN
Golden Boyz - ???
Richard
Edited by RLWP

We did in 2011 and raised £2500 for a branch of the Retired Greyhound Trust. We intend to do the same this year, possibly including a local branch but have been too busy to get organised. We will try for the same fund raising target but it will be tough as 2011 had some large one off donations

On the way up we intend to train the hounds to bow haul us up to the Bradley Workshops. Not sure what happens if they see a rabbit on the towpath . . . .

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

If they're retired greyhounds, they won't be bothered. They don't want to be taking work away from the young 'uns.

This BCN thing sounds like fun, must try to talk my brother into doing it one year.

Well I don't think we will hit the £2500 mark, we are attempting to raise for C&RT, not all will deem it a worty charity but if I can make a few pounds for it then I feel I have contributed.

Our just giving page is here

http://www.justgiving.com/BCN-Challenge

or people can donate via text which is pretty good.

all they need to do is send BCNS60 £2 (or whatever amount they want to donate) to 70070.

Now I just need to break it to my crew (2 daughters 17 and 15) that the first day could involve 62 locks :)

Now I just need to break it to my crew (2 daughters 17 and 15) that the first day could involve 62 locks smile.png

And they say teenagers don't get enough exercise nowadays. Is it your strategy to take a young super-fit crew so you can plan a route involving the maximum number of locks?

Now I just need to break it to my crew (2 daughters 17 and 15) that the first day could involve 62 locks smile.png

Now, I haven't checked, is that really the best strategy? Have you tried working out a route based on distance instead

Richard

Now, I haven't checked, is that really the best strategy? Have you tried working out a route based on distance instead

Richard

He has a 20ft boat, so 0.57 points per mile compared to your 2.00 points per mile, so that could well be the way to go rolleyes.gif

He has a 20ft boat, so 0.57 points per mile compared to your 2.00 points per mile, so that could well be the way to go rolleyes.gif

yebbut... 62 locks? That sounds like most of the single point locks - Farmers bridge and so on. Lots of time, not many points

Richard

yebbut... 62 locks? That sounds like most of the single point locks - Farmers bridge and so on. Lots of time, not many points

Richard

I have sympathy here as the owner of a shorter boat! but I agree 1x locks not good value for money....

We are still computer programming for the best route for us that is also including 73 miles travel

And they say teenagers don't get enough exercise nowadays. Is it your strategy to take a young super-fit crew so you can plan a route involving the maximum number of locks?

Ha they far from fit teenagers I will just ply them with false promises

Do check again. People seem to assume that slogging up and down the locks in Aston is the key to success - it isn't. The challenge was formed to get the little used sections travelled, that's where the points are. You may do better on Perry Barr, the Rushall and the Walsall canal

Richard

Do check again. People seem to assume that slogging up and down the locks in Aston is the key to success - it isn't. The challenge was formed to get the little used sections travelled, that's where the points are. You may do better on Perry Barr, the Rushall and the Walsall canal

Richard

Is that so.....hmmmmm...... *goes off to look at the map whilst whistling*

Only joking, we have our winning route all planned.

An application has arrived from a lady in Australia who keeps a boat in the UK! We do have BCNS members in Auz but I think this is the first time an entry for the Challenge has come from there! clapping.gif

An application has arrived from a lady in Australia who keeps a boat in the UK! We do have BCNS members in Auz but I think this is the first time an entry for the Challenge has come from there! clapping.gif

Do you know what the current total count of entrants is?

Well our "pack" turned up yesterday.

We have a few uncertainties at the moment, including a dog that seems to have taken an expensive liking to our vet, but still hope we will be doing it, along with a heap of other boaty thinks, starting in just over a weeks time.....

We shall see... unsure.png

Edited by alan_fincher

Paws crossed for you Catrin Alan Odin and any other crew.

Son David!

Until a couple of weeks ago we had serious aspirations we would be showing off a "new", (for which read "very old"), boat, but that failed to materialise (again!) at the very last minute. (Long story!).