BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

We have something that looks like a giant fish hook made by a blacksmith friend. With a very sharp blade on one end and a length of sturdy rope in the other. Lovely item - very effective on saris and jackets and the like.

Not quite a Firemans Halligan, but sharpen up the blade and it works wonders on anything non-metal ie rope, bags, clothes etc (and probably leopard-skin underwear) - google 'Joseph Bentley weeding knife'.

u3IehR8.jpg

Uncle Richard said it might be a nice thing to update my planner, I imagine to give some of the newer peeps a guide to which junction is where and what not. So I have. Quite a task given the rule changes from the last time it was done, but I think I've got them all. Let me know if it plays up. It probably will. smile.png

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

NB: Don't bother with the rest of the site too much, I set about re-vamping it in 2011 and never quite finished... The road to hell, etc.

Way hey - I likey! Thank you :)

Knives are the best bet. Stanley knives work, a sharp steak knife is better. Mine have a length of string attached fixed to the boat

Richard

I have all my debris and prop-jammin' removal kit tied to a length of cord which is in turn tied to Cobbett's superstructure. Every piece of equipment is on a sliding knot so nothing needs to come off. Sorts out anything from gurdwara flags to lorry mudguards.

Now I have said that, I will probably get the mattress this year......

Looks like it's your turn this year John!

biggrin.png

Small hacksaw was very useful for disassembling the keep net one year.Luckily no fisherman attached to the other end.help.gif

Just be careful you don't saw your prop off!

ohmy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an opinion on what would be an acceptable points score this year?

Oooone hundred aaand eightyyyyyy!

How did I miss that!

CWDF BCN Challenge entries 2014 - Twitter feed #BCN2014

Team Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairie, Proper Job, Richard Parry

Iona - MILLIE, Ange, Davel, Divum Draconis

The Cat Who Walks By Himself - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers, Starcoaster, Katie, Ellen

Diesel and Dust - Tom and Bex

Firefly - John6767

Team Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO)

MVCL - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Peckham Poppy - Odana, Black Beauty, Keeping Up

Telemachus - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris

The Moorhen - Mike & Jane

Clover - sarahavfc, M589

Beau - Dave_P

Reginald - Mike the Boilerman, Tree Monkey

Stronghold - Oakie, Barry Adams and "Mouse"

Chalice - ODIN, Alan, Cath & David Fincher

Carpe Vinum - Kustomcut

Indigo Dream - RichardN

Golden Boyz - ???

Richard

Can you add Matty40s to my crew please and I'll declare Albion full. Literally.

Crew sorted, route sorted, catering sorted. All that's left is for me to get the boat there in one piece!

CWDF BCN Challenge entries 2014

Team Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairie, Proper Job, Richard Parry

Firefly - John6767

Albion - Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO), Matty40s(ships cat)

MVCL - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Clover - sarahavfc, M589

Beau - Dave_P

Carpe Vinum - Kustomcut

Indigo Dream - RichardN

Golden Boyz - ???

Richard

Edited by RLWP

CWDF BCN Challenge entries 2014

Firefly - John6767

Albion - Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO), Matty40s(ships cat)

MVCL - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Clover - sarahavfc, M589

Beau - Dave_P

Carpe Vinum - Kustomcut

Indigo Dream - RichardN

Golden Boyz - Golden Boyz (Sandra, Sally & Alan)

There you go, you're properly on the list now. Welcome to the forum

Richard

Having got back from Gnosall, I have been told that my eldest son, who was due to give me a hand on the Challenge, has been knocked off his bicycle by a car whilst training for the C2C. Kept in overnight with concussion, he is covered with bruises and has a swollen face. He has been told to keep his arm in a sling for 12 weeks and will eventually have a chip on his shoulder. But he is alive and with no permanent damage. Frustratingly, he remembers nothing about the incident at all.

Looks like my chances for the wooden spoon have just increased...

ETA. His crash hat is now a collection of crumbs.

Edited by system 4-50

Having got back from Gnosall, I have been told that my eldest son, who was due to give me a hand on the Challenge, has been knocked off his bicycle by a car whilst training for the C2C. Kept in overnight with concussion, he is covered with bruises and has a swollen face. He has been told to keep his arm in a sling for 12 weeks and will eventually have a chip on his shoulder. But he is alive and with no permanent damage. Frustratingly, he remembers nothing about the incident at all.

Looks like my chances for the wooden spoon have just increased...

ETA. His crash hat is now a collection of crumbs.

Ouch - lucky (near) escape. Glad it wasn't worse. When I had a fairly minor motorbike accident but nevertheless banged my head and had some concussion (not unconscious, walking and talking but majorly "out to lunch" for 20 mins), it took me at least 6 months to get over it. There were no real outward signs of a problem, but inside I had lost access to a chunk of my soul. I had a lot of people telling me that "I was fine" etc, which was REALLY ANNOYING since I wasn't. So a tip if I may - if your son complains of similar, don't poo poo it or think that telling him he is fine is being supportive!

I am kinda interested in doing this, but it would be a 4 day trek to get to a reasonable start point, and a 4 day trek back home.

Ummmm...I know it might come as a daft question, but what do you consider the 'border' of the BCN, I am thinking of a reasonable starting point for us would either be the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21, or the top of it - would these locks count for the points? What canals are on the list and what ones are too far away from the BCN to count?

I am kinda interested in doing this, but it would be a 4 day trek to get to a reasonable start point, and a 4 day trek back home.

Ummmm...I know it might come as a daft question, but what do you consider the 'border' of the BCN, I am thinking of a reasonable starting point for us would either be the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21, or the top of it - would these locks count for the points? What canals are on the list and what ones are too far away from the BCN to count?

Yes there is a well-defined list that you get when you send in your application. Yes you can go up only from Aldersley Jn. Other periphery are Salford Jn, Black Delph jn. Camp Hil area - bit confused but it looks like you can start at the bottom lock.