BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Can I just say that even if I were not doing the Challenge that playing with Ian's planning page is great fun anyway.

It needs to factor in though.....

1) Enter number of boats you think will be ahead of you at a lock flight

2) Enter your best guess at delay time before I can pass through Gosty Hill Tunnel.

Why should there be a delay at the tunnel? We'll all be going the same way!

Paul, you can do quite a lot of playing/planning with Ian's web page: http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

What's your boat name, I'll put you on the list

Richard

We're now 99% confirmed we'll do this, I'm at the boat (no printer here) but once home I'll send off the application form and cheque. For the list, the boat name is Denry and its me and littleduck crewing (and our Bassett Hound puppy - does this earn extra cutie points?)

May I ask, what is a reasonable points score to achieve around middle of the table, and what's normally a winning score? We're not going to go all out for winning, but use it as a chance to see a few of the canals we've not been on (done some of the BCN already) and do maybe 18-20 hours crusing within the 24h limit.

Why should there be a delay at the tunnel? We'll all be going the same way!

It might be a good idea to be in front of Ange and Dave's boat "Iona 2".

(But Ange says we are of little faith, and that the roof will be perfectly suitable by the time it needs to traverse "that" tunnel!)

It might be a good idea to be in front of Ange and Dave's boat "Iona 2".

(But Ange says we are of little faith, and that the roof will be perfectly suitable by the time it needs to traverse "that" tunnel!)

I have an array of planters and boxes on my roof. I'm planning a trial run on the 10th/11th of May to see if i can squeeze down the tunnel.

May I ask, what is a reasonable points score to achieve around middle of the table, and what's normally a winning score? We're not going to go all out for winning, but use it as a chance to see a few of the canals we've not been on (done some of the BCN already) and do maybe 18-20 hours crusing within the 24h limit.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to answer that as the points scoring system has changed for this year. You could look on last years thread and see what everyone got as the final scores were posted on there, but I'd say it's not really relevant now with the changes.

With this year's scoring that's an unknown, but I would say somewhere in the 200s. We are looking at high 200s. We could get into the 300s but it would mean doing bits that I have previously done and didn't particularly enjoy. But then our boat is deep drafted and hence slow on the shallow bits - others will be faster.

And there is a "must do" bit for me since I have either never done it, or if I did it was in the 1970s. Jeff has certainly never done it. That constrains us somewhat.

And there is a "must do" bit for me since I have either never done it, or if I did it was in the 1970s. Jeff has certainly never done it. That constrains us somewhat.

This reminds of a great joke whose punchline goes "the first time I was sick, the second time my hat blew off". If only I could remember the rest...

I have an array of planters and boxes on my roof. I'm planning a trial run on the 10th/11th of May to see if i can squeeze down the tunnel.

Good luck with that Dave P but I would say no chance although that does depend how high your planters are obviously. Would like to know if you manage it unscathed though :-)

Good luck with that Dave P but I would say no chance although that does depend how high your planters are obviously. Would like to know if you manage it unscathed though :-)

On my regular trips to Stratford, I always find at least one person insisting I won't get under the low bridges before the basin. Even when I point out that I've done it before, sometimes people are insistent.

With this year's scoring that's an unknown, but I would say somewhere in the 200s. We are looking at high 200s. We could get into the 300s but it would mean doing bits that I have previously done and didn't particularly enjoy. But then our boat is deep drafted and hence slow on the shallow bits - others will be faster.

I think we'll be doing well to get into the 200s....

If they are good and heavy, or fixed well to the roof, and your engine is powerful enough, maybe that will open it up a bit more for others!

If they are good and heavy, or fixed well to the roof, and your engine is powerful enough, maybe that will open it up a bit more for others!

Saved me a reply Alan, thanks :-)

Saved me a reply Alan, thanks :-)

Also your not going to realise until your a third of the way in there which might just be a little too late :-)

Is there a gauge or somekind of guideline for the tunnel? We have solar panels....they're pretty close to the roof, but they are obviously flat while the the roof has a curve, they're mounted so the widest side is across the boat, 106.5cm in the middle of the roof. (There's also a TV aerial, but that's removeable; and a pigeon box at the back of the boat).

PS We've been under the M5 on the Droitwich with no issues; and under the bridges at the start of the Caldon (but never tried Froghall)....

Is there a gauge or somekind of guideline for the tunnel? We have solar panels....they're pretty close to the roof, but they are obviously flat while the the roof has a curve, they're mounted so the widest side is across the boat, 106.5cm in the middle of the roof. (There's also a TV aerial, but that's removeable; and a pigeon box at the back of the boat).

PS We've been under the M5 on the Droitwich with no issues; and under the bridges at the start of the Caldon (but never tried Froghall)....

No gauge. Trial and error only!

On my regular trips to Stratford, I always find at least one person insisting I won't get under the low bridges before the basin. Even when I point out that I've done it before, sometimes people are insistent.

That's because old codgers like me remember when it WAS really low, but it was raised some time ago.

There fine Paul, did post earlier that anything higher than a Alde vent and you will get problems. Its difficult to judge distances in a tunnel but I would say its just perhaps the middle 200 yards or so that is really low. The start and end are fine

Chalice does have quite a high roof. These are photos from our blog, perhaps if you've got a picture of going under the M5 it might help you:

Gosty Hill:

CIMG8427.JPG

Gosty Hill lowest part - forward from the steerer:

IMG_4367.JPG

Froghall:

CIMG3803.JPG

M5 (looking forward, not back):

IMG_0329.JPG

Yup, it's all about the shape of the tunnel roof vs boat roof. Frogall looks a bit squeaky though! Any damage?

Yes, but unfortunately - but largely because the boat wasn't properly squared up on the entrance to the tunnel. We had perhaps one, two inches on either side at the front. David taped up the corners, and he and I sat in the front well deck, hand pushing the boat through, fending on either side. Alan came from the back to help at the very lowest point.

What the hell, paint can always go back - you only do Froghall once.

CIMG3801.JPG